Re: Trail Tech Regulator Rectifier + 12v light coil = FAIL

That sir, is my point. Yes it "works". No, it is not useful at all. An led headlight is no replacement for even a weak halogen bulb, I've tried. The tail light works fine but the headlight is miserable even using high powered Cree bulbs. The whole point of floating the ground, which is what this thread is mostly concerning, is to increase power output and achieve stable DC current. If you can't power any more lighting than you started with then you have turned tour bike into a phone charger with a horn.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Ha Ha So now he has a 49cc flashlight & phone charger Nice.

The LEDs both taillight and headlight are brighter than the 6V bulbs that I replaced.

Awesome. Thanks for the vid. Looks good!

As long as it's an upgrade doesn't matter if it's as bright as halogen. All to serve a purpose. So long as the purpose is met - consider it completed.

Show me the lumen rating and we can talk. Shining in your eyes means nothing.

Well, it's not going over 13vdc at redline and still charging at idle, so I think I'm good. Just caps, no battery and the $55 trailtech regulator.

The regulator is awesome... You can adjust from 11vdc all the way to 14.5vdc with the potentiometer. The reg/rec combo is being powered by the higher output coil on the dual 12v coil from treats using the wiring diagram followed posted earlier in this thread. (edited)

For some reason tghis regulator did not work for me without a battery. I tried different coils, at the end I re-wound the light coils on the stock peugeot CDI (mine came with 3 light coils so I added another), used 60 turns of 1mm wire on each. AC power is ok, with the trail tech regulator it looks good at idle (slightly less that 12v), but when revving the DC voltage goes up first and then drops and light starts to flicker.

Adding a battery seems to solve this, voltage goes up to 14.5 volts when revving and stays there no matter how many lamps/blinkers I turn on.

garridan robinett /

I wanted to weigh in on the LED vs Halogen discussion. LEDs are around 3 time more efficient than halogen lights. So a 12 Watt LED is equivalent in output to a 35 Watt halogen light. The issue with LED is the ability to project light forward in a pattern that is usable. Even the Cree LED die is a little big to try to reflect the light well. We use a similar LED in our 35mm LED, but we use a refractor to bring the light in.

But... LED technology is changing and we are seeing the dies getting smaller and more intense which allows us to project light forward using a true reflector. Our new 75mm uses this new smaller die and project light further than our 1850 lumens HID lights. It is the same LED used in Audi headlights.

I hope that helps a little.

Garridan

Trail Tech

360-687-4530

P.S. If there are ever any questions regarding any of our products please give us a call. We gave a great Tech support staff and all our engineers are onsite.

> P.S. If there are ever any questions regarding any

> of our products please give us a call. We gave a

> great Tech support staff and all our engineers are

> onsite.

^^ I can vouch for that. The trail tech guys have always been very helpful to me!

The two wire trail tech voltage reg has a yellow and a brown wire. If one was going to use it to limit the voltage produced by a hpi mini do I connect the yellow of the trail tech to the yellow light output of the hpi and the brown to the frame? On the one I got when I do it that way the meAsured voltage drops to 6 v from 14 plus. Do I have it backwards or is the trail tech I have faulty.

This is a thread for the trail tech full wave reg/rec. Make your own thread about your application as it is completely different. Also you don't seem to understand how to not hijack a thread and I have no desire to help that.

Marc, you probably have your voltmeter on the wrong setting.

Sorry ryan. I will start a new post with pics. I did figure it out and it's pretty good.

I like the trail techs because they haven potentiometers... Even just the A/C regulators sans rectification.

I started this thread and I've posted a lot of stuff to it, I don't mind if you post here. This thread turned into an A/C tutorial for mopeds and I think a lot of people filled a lot of voids in their knowledge going through this thread.

I started this before I had any of my electrical courses in school, so it's great as an A/C tutorial for mopeds period.

Glad you figured it out, hope you come over to the DC side though! LEDs, halogens and electronics are super fun on mopeds!

i had nothing but great luck with that regulator, after having a bunch of others be garbage.

still my fave for easy cheap & reliable are the stock tomos regulators. mmm

but if i ever build anything nice again i'd use the TT

After monkeying with scooter reg/rec of both types I broke down and got a deal on a trailtech. Installed and worked the first time without issue and hasn't stopped working. I wish I had saved myself the math, trouble and headaches and just gotten the key to the puzzle first.

^

&

^^

I agree so hard. TrailTech FTW.

ops, (edited)

YO WAYNE. YOU GET MY EMAIL BRAH?

got it

And here I am, I build my electrical from scratch! I remember the first LED headlight I tried, before getting a regulator. It got brighter and brighter (it was an array). Then the individual LED's started popping like popcorn. Got home, only 4 survived. Good times.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account