Re: Trail Tech Regulator Rectifier + 12v light coil = FAIL

Neil Burgess /

More success- but still a moderate one. Re-wrapped with the 26ga it's definitely pushing more power. AC volts are definitely happening now. Will run incandescent bulbs(27w front, 8w in the rear) and can actually burn them out without the treats regulator! I couldn't even light up one bulb before unless it was an led. This is a huge improvement over what I had. So we are now making great ac power, and my lighting coil's ground is floated in preperation for DC rectification.

I'm not liking the chinese rectifier. I hooked it up with a drill battery and am still losing voltage at the battery with the bulbs connected and bike running. Not sure what's missing here- maybe that $7 rectifier is no good. I didn't try it with the ac regulator- possibly it's overpowered, or not grounded right, or just junk. More combinations to try later......

Overall I'm really glad I have ac volts now- It's progress. The lights are pretty good with the treats ac regulator and bulbs wired in on ac power. Kind of disappointed on the DC results tho. Not sure if I'll run it as-is or keep trying to get DC.

The weather has been so nice I might just have to ride it a bit before trying some more!

If the A/C isn't a floated ground, it's not gonna work with a bridge. If you're not floating the coil you only need a diode on your single output wire from the coil and you'll need to float your DC ground. Make sure you have both A/C leads hooked up to the right terminals on the bridge - it's not just willynilly whichever way hooked up.

^If none of this makes sense, go back and read this thread.

An A/V regulator will not work with a floated ground either. It shunts the extra power to the ground. Also if you are using a 50cc Chinese regulator it will not work either.

Does the Chinese R/R regulate first, then rectify? if so, then would it just be ok to just float your DC ground?

and this diode on the AC lead, is there somewhere I can find a formula for which diode I would need? or just buy a large one and call it a day?

There are two different Chinese reg/rec. The 50cc bikes all come with one that has two functions. One portion regulates A/C voltage for the headlight, and one part rectifies a HALF WAVE a/c signal (really just a diode) and regulates it for battery charging. Neither will function with full wave in any way. The 150cc units are larger and have no a/c regulator. They rectify a full wave and output regulated DC. A picture would help us clear up what you have.

Neil Burgess /

I think I should get the trailtech or one known to work- chinese one pictured in my previous post=fail

I wired the chinese 4 wire rectifier using yellow and white where they should be, and red and green with a battery and lights, all lights grounded to green on battery isolated from frame and/or engine contact. lights worked but was discharging the battery. Tried reversing my yellow and white(in case I had the leads backwards)- no effect.

Have the same one on my kids Jetmoto 110cc quad and it works fine there- now I have a spare.

I know I ended up getting the 150cc one, the larger one with fins on the side. I don't have a picture now, but i can get one

Scooterbike that is the one. I am running one right now and if the pins are not correct I get no power at all. So I would assume you have it right. I do only get 7-8v without a battery though. Neil, that is a 50cc unit.

Ryan, I was reading something about it needing a battery or smoothing cap because the waves are too quick for a multi meter to read, (I'm paraphrasing from memory so I could be full of bullshit) but when I threw a little 1.4AH 12v battery in the mix, I was seeing 12v. Problem was, It didn't have enough punch to run my turn signals, so I went a bit larger to a 12v 3ah battery.

little Battery link:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/3516.asp

Thanks for the link. I wired mine up to a car battery just to make sure and it does produce charging voltage. I've just been looking for a small battery to shoehorn into the miniml space of my bike. Capacitors are also viable.

it fits very well under a PA50 seat, I will take some pictures when I get home

A lot of those chinese regulator rectifiers are halfwave with a dead 4th pin (no different that just running a single diode off one leg of your light coil).

Quit fucking with the chinese shit and go buy a regulator from treats and a diode bridge from treatland or just buy the trailtech combo.

China shit is china shit. Leave it in the shit box.

Use caps if you're just running lights. If you plan on hooking a phone, gps or otherwise into your system run a battery. Low capacity AGM lead acids can be had for $15 from your local battery dealer.

Caps can be had for $6 from radio shack or allied electronics if you're feeling fancy. I've been running caps for over a year now with no adverse affect to the cap or reg/rect. (edited)

I am working on converting my Garelli SSXL from 6VAC to a 12VDC setup, replacing the horn with a 12 VDC version and the bulbs with LEDs.

I also want to be able to charge a phone/tablet.

With the stock lighting coil the voltage can be as low as 3.5V at idle under load to higher than 55V at full rev with no load.

So to covert to DC and prevent over voltage I am using a rectifier / regulator from a 85 Honda motorcycle. It keeps the voltage at 14.5v max at full rev with no load vs the crazy 55v+ without it.

Then to fix the low voltage at idle and / or under high loads, ex. using the horn / charging a tablet... I ordered a DC-DC step up board from china off ebay. Rated for 3.5-30V, 6A - 10A max.

I also just ordered a 10000uf capacitor to replace the 2x 560uf capacitors I am currently using, as they are a bit to small.

After replacing the capacitors I should have a stable 13.5-14.5 VDC output at any rev and hopefully with enough current to run the LEDs, charge a tablet, and sound the 12V 2.5A horn if needed.

All without adding battery or replacing the stock coil.

Neil Burgess /

I'm thinking to order one of these- what do ya think Ryan? $55 for the trailtech or one of these for $20?

50a Rectifier on Ebay

The ebay auction is just a rectifier.

The $55 trailtech is a regulator rectifier combo with a pot to fine tune output voltage.

The $55 trailtech is pretty good bang/buck ratio if you ask me.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12678415

i just saved you 15 bucks........

ebay vultures are at large

I ran two of them, one on each coil temporarily. I also keep them for a backup if needed.

Just a question- Will just a 10k uf capacitor do just as you mention? Lets say you go from WOT to no throttle and sit for 2 minutes, is your lights going to dim over that period of time?

Depends on the voltage at idle, and the draw as to how much, but capacitors store fractions of what I battery could handle. Your lights will likely dim in seconds.

No because all the 10k uf capacitor does is keep the voltage stable / smooth the output of the rectifier. It keeps the lights from flickering at low RPM.

The DC-DC step up regulator I got is what keeps the voltage up at idle.

Here is a test I just did.

The camera recording this video has no battery and is only running off the power being generated by the moped.

The moped is running just a little above idle during most of this video.

If there is no draw I can see that being nifty. But I can imagine that it sacrifices wattage for voltage and would not hold up to a large draw. Correct me if I am wrong.

The voltage stays around 13.5-14v with the 2 regulators no matter what the RPM is... but at idle the available current is lower and if to much is connected the lights will flicker a little because the 10k uf capacitor will not get the current needed to charge up enough to smooth the rectifiers output fully.

When at a high RPM there is way more than enough available current. (edited)

I understand this. What I am saying is that you are showing a step up transformer holding a voltage higher than the bike is producing at idle. What I am saying is that while it may be able to achieve this with little load on the system it likely will not be able to while powering the heavy lighting that this was all intended to power in the first place..

Just as you can wind with thinner gauge wire to produce more voltage but will lose wattage. You can't boost the voltage without sacrificing something.

"There is no free lunch"

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

JR Hallman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The voltage stays around 13.5-14v with the 2

> regulators no matter what the RPM is... but at

> idle the available current is lower and if to much

> is connected the lights will flicker a little

> because the 10k uf capacitor will not get the

> current needed to charge up enough to smooth the

> rectifiers output fully.

>

> When at a high RPM there is way more than enough

> available current.

So use two, And go read up on this shit at http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

Thin you can make the parts yourself.

Cuse your not quite getting how all the parts work.

It's not a "transformer" it's a DC-DC step up regulator that uses the LTC1871 chip. This is way more efficient than a transformer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LTC1871-DC-DC-Step-up-Boost-Module-Power-Supply-3-5V-to-30V-100W-LED-Voltmeter-/200924876301

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/1871fe.pdf

If the coil's max output was 25W at 4.17A - 6V for example and you had a converter to step the voltage up to 12v with 100% efficiency it would be 25W at 2.1A - 12V.

The wattage stays the same but the amperage is less at 12V.

The efficiency should be around 90% when converting 6V to 12V with that board so 25W at 4.17A - 6V would convert to 22.5W at 1.88A - 12V

Now the coil will only output around 6V max even if the engine is at a high RPM if the load is more than 25W because stock it runs 26W of lights at 6VAC also the AC buzzer horn takes 9W so the max load stock is 35W, but if the load is less than 25W and the voltage can get out of control without a step down regulator.

The LED lights that replaced the bulbs are brighter and use way less power, the regulators keep them at max brightness at any RPM, but because they use way less there is a lot more current left to run other things like the camera in the video.

Yeah, I might of got that wrong because if there was not enough current in between the ripples to charge the capacitor and run the lights the voltage would be pulled down to basically nothing right? Lower than the step up could handle and I would have no light.

So maybe because at a lower idle the voltage is only around 4V the capacitor is still dropping to fast under the 3.5V min input for the step up, causing flickering in the lights?

(edited)

Maybe someone should do something instead of typing up what they think it will do.

Just saying. it's $11...

It also comes from china which inspires great confidence...

I'm gonna do an update tomorrow when I hook my iphone into my bike's electircal system... hopefully I still have a phone :P

Deadped Ryan Wrote:

> Maybe someone should do something instead of

> typing up what they think it will do.

>

> Just saying. it's $11...

>

> It also comes from china which inspires great

> confidence...

>

> http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmyg8mLYMI1qew7vd.j

> pg

>

>

> I'm gonna do an update tomorrow when I hook my

> iphone into my bike's electircal system...

> hopefully I still have a phone :P

I have it, I got it a couple days ago...

Here is the video again, I recorded with my camera without a battery running off the moped along with the LED lights using that board.

(edited)

And once again, power some halogen bulbs with it.. It is easy to step voltage up, but you will lose cpacity.

DPC Ryan Wrote:

> And once again, power some halogen bulbs with it..

> It is easy to step voltage up, but you will lose

> cpacity.

I could but then there would not be enough current left to run the tablet, camera, and 12V 2.5A horn. So that would defeat the hole point of the change from 6VAC to 12VDC.

The LEDs are very bright, take way less power, and should last way longer than halogen bulbs.

The reason I am doing this is because I wanted to have bright lights, even at idle, replace the old failing AC buzzer horn with something decent and be able to run a camera and keep a phone or tablet charged. (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account