Puch CDI lighting woes

So I installed what is essentially the treats Puch CDI adventure pack v2.

Strong spark, bike runs great UNLESS I actually run the lighting coil.

As soon as I connect the lighting coil to the regulator I can only rev about 1/4th turn on the throttle before it starts losing power and coughing. It doesn't make sense to me as the lighting coil is completely independent of the power coil. We measured the output from the lighting coil and were getting readings of 30V+, and when hooked up to the regulator we were still getting readings of 20V+.

Of course this completely destroys 12V bulbs, but that really doesn't even matter while the lighting coil is somehow affecting the power.

We grounded everything to completely separate grounding points, tried two different regulators, checked the stator plate for any exposed wires arcing or weird wiring setups and found nothing. Used a junction box, connected wires directly, disconnected lights completely. Still no luck.

As long as i've got just the cdi to stator connected, the bike runs as it should. I just can't commute with no lights. Any ideas?

Re: Puch CDI lighting woes

Throw a 6v light coil in there till ya get it figured out

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Nic look in the WIKI, Geeezzzzzzzzzzzz

Gosh Wayne, you're right! I can't believe I was such a n00b as to not even think of the wiki! That's it, thread closed!

Ryan, good plan. I gotta cone up with a different headlight assembly though, as I got mine off a stock tomos and that bulb will be weak as shit at half voltage.

Your welcome.

I still say you need more condensors.

Wayne I can put all the high watt 12 volt bulbs I want in if i want them to explode at 25 volts regulated, let alone that I can't achieve enough revs to hit my power band when i have the light coil hooked up. The ghost in the machine is the real issue.

Joe I've got 5 condensers and 10 arugula filters.

Now, can't you tell how right Mr. Wayne is? He tells you right in his name that you suck and is better than you and then he belittles you for asking questions that he cannot answer. Cause being better than you means pretending. I'd say that if you cannot use a 12V bulb because it will be too dim with a 6V system then try a more powerful 12V bulb. Man, such a n00b. Get a real bike faggot. And stop asking questions he cannot answer because his ruse might be up.

Totally normal JBOT /

Nvermind (edited)

Try a different coil and a different regulator. I'm betting the regulator is borked and that maybe the lighting coil is shorting to ground.

You just got your panty's and wiring all scrnch up your ass is all Jesse.

Fix your wiring and pantys, then use the head light i gave you a link to with NO regulator.

Cuse you got something fuck up with your wiring son.

P.S. i have a real bike.

(edited)

I'm sorry, Jesse, I will keep my n00b fgt logical processes to myself as I'm just a damn gromulated bozo lowdo and should just keep my posting to threads about Obamacare in OT. Wayne is right; if it needs more power then a lower voltage coil will work harder to give the bulb what it needs. That + shim and I should be blasting by yesterday.

CJ, I've used two different brand new regulators to no avail, but the next step logically is the coil, so onwards I shall go. No visible shorts in the wiring on the stator or anywhere else.

And Wayne, once again while that may power the headlight, any time the lighting coil is attached to something power starves off the ignition coil, so...

Is the wiring rubbing on the flywheel or pinched?

The lighting coil has nothing to do with the CDI. (edited)

I always forget the best way to teach and help is to belittle people while providing very little actual help. Gotta pay more attention to your methods.

In an effort to actually help since I did wire the bike up myself, there seems to be some interference between the lighting grounding back to the frame along with the ignition. Runs fine until we hook the lights up. Don't remember the box we used but perhaps it goes haywire when the common ground picks up either a different phase wave or the line voltage goes up from the lights side. My next step is to try a different box for the ignition and see if the issues remains.

Or you know, throw arugula at it.

Totally normal JBOT /

Have you tried a different flywheel?

I've heard tell of weak magnets in flywheel causing havoc on the lighting circuit.

Do you have the brown wire from the stater grounded to the frame?

Do you have the black wire with the whit stripe from the CDI box grounded to the frame?

Do you have ALL the lights grounded to the frame not the forks?

CK that the wiring is not rubbing on the flywheel.

Solved

Nate told me that Cdi came from responsible John and that you need to run 5 to 1 dr pepper minimum.

Ok solved (edited)

So tell us what was it that you three had fucked up????

Wayne, I should have got an hpi and duct taped battery driven LEDs to my headlight and tail, duh. No wiki articles on it, so i had to wait for some Moped scientists to help me out. I never have to worry about light coils again! Batteries rule; I'm getting a motorcycle.

For the record, I'm running a pietcard 2041 box and the exact setup that blkblk Ryan Nash has written up on the treats adventure pack cdi page. All wires are intact and everything is tucked neatly away from the flywheel. Perhaps bad grounding though I'm not sure how, perhaps need to try a different box as Jesse suggested, or check a new coil out. I would love to hear from anyone else who has run this set up, though.

If i remember right one of you had problems with same pietcard box's on a V1 when Ed was the main supplier for moped pietcards.

Ed told me that xxxxxx was doing something wrong and fried two box's and gave him shit even tho Ed gave him two free replacements.

So what ever it is your doing something wrong in Portland.

Do let us all know with a wiring diagram how this needs to be setup to work.

Not trying to be an ass just saying.

So do you have it wired like this?

I do see a fuck up with the Treats instructions the voltage regulator housing needs to be grounded or it will not work.

Treats instructions:

1. move the brown ground wire on the white coil to the front of the coil.

2. install the stator, woodruff key, and flywheel onto the crank.

3. mount the pietcard 2041 box and the voltage regulator anywhere since they do not need to be grounded, and mount the HT coil somewhere on a nice strong ground somewhere on the frame of the moped.

4. wiring - from the stator, brown gets grounded, white goes to grey on pietcard, red goes to blue on pietcard, and yellow goes to yellow on voltage regulator. black on the pietcard gets grounded and red on pietcard connects to the only prong on the HT coil. from the voltage regulator, connect all lighting to the red wire.

P.S. is this on a ZA-50, E-50, A-55, derby, etc?

Arugula out (edited)

Interesting, none of us run V1 bikes at all. So it must be true. Besides, I do things wrong all the time and then blame them one others. It's how I keep my job as a full time mechanic on bikes.

Nik, (it's how you spell his name actually), good work son, I am not disappoint.

I'm about to run this same thing on a mk65 ZA... would be interested to know as well.

I've got the following:

Motobecane Coils subbed in for treats coils

Olympia 12v HT Coil + spark lead

Pietcard 2013 box

Champion equivalent BR7HS resistor plug

Tomos Light coil

I'm getting rid of all the treats coils so I don't have to fool with all that BS too. Would love to know what's giving you the issue!

Ya Ryan it sucks big time when someone has there shit fucked up then ask for help but wont post what they had fucked up and or did to fix it.

From looking at Joe Peg's pic the wiring looks to be on the jankey side with all those splices and routing.

Yep, the two visible wires in the picture going to the kill switch are super janky and causing all the problems. Every time I hit the switch the motor dies, fucking piece of shit.

I realize that it's hard for you Wayne to actually help anyone on here, and that's why instead you act like a shithead on almost every post in performance. Telling people to go to the wiki and linking them to the goddamned picture that is on the parts you order from treats is not helping, it's pretending to help. Other than "yur doin it wrong" could you actually help? Of course not, because you don't have any idea how to. Now feel free to insult me instead of offering practical advice.

WTF i tried to help you Jesse?

According to Joe Peg's post it's fixed and working so what gives?

Is it working or NOT?

Till you post a wiring diagram of how you wired this thing up i cant do much to help you.

So FUCK OFF

It's a picture of an LED light duct taped to my headlamp, Wayne.

Ha so it's not working. :(

Send me a PM with your phone #

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account