Any point to a bigger carb w/o a matching intake?

I have a 15.15 Dellorto sitting around, with a 14.12 currently on my bike. I have a performance pipe but the rest of the bike is basically stock. Is there any benefit to throwing the 15 on there, assuming its jetted right? I do plan to eventually get a 14 or 15 mm intake and porting the cylinder but that could be a few months off. Thoughts?

Re: Any point to a bigger carb w/o a matching intake?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Jonathan S /

:.(

Get the intake to match the carb you want to put on, you will have troubles after troubles trying to get that carb to tune nicely if you neck the airflow down after the carb.

Intakes are not expensive so just get the replacement and that will be incentive to just get it done!

sometimes you can hog out an intake to make it bigger, but remember the intake port of the cylinder should also match

Jonathan S /

Hm, thinking about it, I have my stock exhaust pipe still. I'm wondering if the flange and pipe on the header would be about the right size? I have some metal working ability, I might have to check into this...

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

If your brave you can drill the intake out to 15mm, I wouldn't attempt this if the intake is curved though.

Jonathan S /

Yeah it's a curved intake, otherwise I would have honed it.

Cleats Onionpockets /

I run a 17mm bing on my puch, but it has the intake off a Magnum X, which is this 15mm curvy sort of thing. Heck, it probably pinches down to 14mm at the bend. Odd thing is, it almost feels like it has two power bands. Like, it pulls like a mule off the line, but then after you've hit the first powerband around 17-20mph and are up around 30, you back off on the throttle and then open it up again slowly and it's an entirely different feel.

Oh, and no matter how hot the cylinder fins get, that intake is ICE COLD when I to a feel-test. Gets all sorts of condensation on there as well.

Jonathan S /

Well I may be doing the opposite. My old pipe has a 17-19mm opening so I'm thinking of trying that with the 15.15 and seeing how it does.

what motor?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account