Stumped. Help me solve this issue if you can...

Chris Bettini /

I have a 1978 2HP PUCH Maxi. It has been upgraded with a K-Star 70, kept the original 14mm Bing carb. Super Stuffy crank. Techno Boss pipe. And it's running great... until a few days ago. While rollin' at WOT it would start to choke and hesitate. So today I down jetted from a 74 to a 72. Tried B6HS and B7HS plugs. STILL getting the hesitation, and if I try to WOT through the hesitation it dies. Any ideas? I am in Omaha, NE and it's SUPER humid and muggy. Could it be the air? Should I try down jetting yet again to maybe a 68? Any suggestions would be most awesome! I'm new to peds since only January. Omaha's Kit Kats have been most helpful, but this has me stumped! (edited)

Re: Stumped. Help me solve this issue if you can...

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Upjet dummy.

Chris Bettini /

@ajwasp - I down jetted because my plug was black and oily, do you still think I need to upjet?

Chris Bettini /

I also took the air filter off to see if that would help. It didn't.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I run a 70 on a stock cylinder.

Maybe you've got a clog in your fuel lines or a bubble or something. That happens to me sometimes if a piece of gunk gets caught in the fuel filter.

Chris Bettini /

I'll check the fuel filter! Thanks!

yes keep down jetting... say....68

Chris Bettini /

I down jetted to a 68... and have tried NGK B6HS, B7HS and b*hs plugs - STILL having problems. I have been told from a local moped rider, "hesitation" is the wrong term... I'm "bogging down" I have removed the air filter, and drained all the fuel tonight (in case I got some bad gas, or some asshole put something in my tank) and will refill tomorrow. I will probably get a new fuel filter as well. I was running perfect for weeks... now I can't go a few blocks with out problems! This is a completely rebuilt E50 - new bearings and seals, new crank - everything! I hope some of you Old Skool cats can help me trouble shoot this!!

Probably Fred /

Leave at 72# jet

If no idle Drill a small hole in the front and rear of the slide to let more

did you check the fuel filter in the petcock? also may have a small one in the banjo fitting.

check your flow by removing the banjo from the carb, then turn on the gas to see how much flow you have through to the carb, you may be starving out.

Ed - Dead Possums /

Did you by chance move the float out of whack when changing jets?

Incorrect Float Position

Corrent Float Position

Chris Bettini /

Thanks for all the help guys...

Ken, I went back to the 72 Jet... I am not sure I understand what you mean about drilling the carb slide.

So far I can say it happens regardless of jet size (I started with a 74, went to a 72, 70, then 68 and back to the 72), spark plug size (I started with B7HS, went to a B6HS, then back to a B7HS, tried a B8HS and now back to the B7HS again) I changed all my fuel, didn't help. I run premium 91 octane and add an Italian synthetic 2-cycle I got at the local vespa/snow mobile shop. I took off the air filter to see if it was not getting enough air. It started when it got humid in Omaha, but weather has gone back to like when it was running great and still having the same issue.

Mel, I would hate to think that the brand new petcock filters and rebuilt carburetor would already be having trouble, but the tank does have some rust, and it was cleaned out as best as it could be. I've only had this Maxi for a little over 3 weeks and we replaced everything!

I'll drain the fuel again and pull the petcock and see if it has anything clogging the filter screen, and I will pull the banjo filter and see if it may be clogged too.

Chris Bettini /

Ed, I don't think so... it seems right where it is supposed to be. The jets came right out, ya know, it's so clean there wasn't any residue to make it hard to remove. How would I check the float to make sure?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Timing plug gap and or weak condenser.

Chris Bettini /

Crazy Wayne, I'm gaping my plugs the recommended .016 - .020, timing was done with a light, and unless it went wacky already I don't think it should be that... I do I check the condenser?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Timing can change the follower wears down fast if not lobed.

What color is the spark?

Ed - Dead Possums /

You guys were all thinking too hard on this one. I was right, it was the float level.

Chris Bettini /

Yeah, thanks Ed!! Can't believe it was something so easy... I was going crazy trying to trouble shoot it and even dumped a tank of fuel in hopes I could get it to run right!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account