Water cooled Puch Polini

Working on my degree in manufacturing engineering and was thinking about possibilities for my senior project. There has been a lot of interest in watercooled setups, but nothing yet available for puch.

My idea is to design a solidworks model of a puch polini with a watercooled jacket and matching head with the correct squish band. My advisor said it's an ambitious project, but may be a successful project.

I would shoot to have these ”made” and sold for $400. Think it's do-able for less than that and is there a market for it?

Re: Water cooled Puch Polini

For that price, you should up the displacement to ~74cc and take over the niche that the Gila was holding. The price seems steep, but I'll bet there are a couple people out there that would pay it. Probably not enough to make your money back though.

But you have to bore the cases for the gila. The polini is so popular because it bolts on with some transfer matching and preforms so well.

What about just a water cooled head?

Do they have something like that available for sale yet?

Nope, that's not available either. But it's harder to cast than an open head to match the water cooled cylinder. (edited)

Fish tits Krauthamer /

if you are going to go through the trouble of setting up a water cooled, boring the cases should be trivial.

I like it, but... Are you going to take a puch polini cylinder and make it water cooled, or are you going to make an entirely custom cylinder with a polini port map?

Don't go bigger for exactly the reason you said, case boring.

Not to decide your project for you, but what about an hpi style ignition that has GOOD lights and a curve, at a reasonable price? I know there's ways to get lights or even programmable curves on an hpi, and I know there's been a lot of "hack and weld" ignition systems put on puchs but to have something that works without a lot of mystery would be cool. Might be an easier project too?

there is a water cooled puch head available overseas. ACR Sam had one in Austin but sold it. not sure who made it tho.

Brand new cylinder with polini port map/top transfers.

i've got some of the tooling ready to make the h20 head, but haven't been able to get the core box finished. its coming!

if you want to make a kit, why not go for a reed-valve cast iron kit for puch. The plating alone costs nearly 200 bucks.

i've seen a h2o puch head that was basically a replica of the stock head, looked like someone used a stock head with clay to fill in the fins for the patter, is that the one?

Think about it:

Boring cases can easily be done in 10 min with a dremel. You have to come up with a water pump, and mount a radiator. Both of which take more effort than dremeling a case. Honestly, if someone spends $400 on a water cooled kit, something tells me that they're going be able to dremel, or pay someone to dremel the cases.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Why don't you just fabricate reedvalve cases?

^ yup, w/ 3rd eye porting using minarelli h cylinder spacing. YES!

My w/c Polini only cost about $6 to make

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

i've always thought that best to do, fabricate an e50 case that has 3 transfers, case inducted reedvalve, and the cylinder spacing of an am6 minarelli engine.

all the hard work would be done for you, and everybody can take moped gnarly racing to the next level by having a new powerplant to take advantage of

much better than a kit

i pull over and pee on my head when temps get to high is that "water cooling"?

Maitland Kelly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i've always thought that best to do, fabricate an

> e50 case that has 3 transfers, case inducted

> reedvalve, and the cylinder spacing of an am6

> minarelli engine.

>

> all the hard work would be done for you, and

> everybody can take moped gnarly racing to the next

> level by having a new powerplant to take advantage

> of

>

> much better than a kit

Do that then make it have stator mounts on the opposite side and za50 crank to variator adapter. Cuts out a lot of material/machining.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

the only limitation is that it would immediately not be compatible with current puch aftermarket kits.

the variator idea is a good aspect, but puch cranks haven't been tested to the stresses of a variator/clutch system properly. Somebody would need to do that on their own, which these cases may allow for aftermarket modification to that extent, but for a production run model probably not feasible on the first run.

Mars had a sleeve he made that can be spot welded to a variator, but needs to mount a stator on the other side.

Shit was gnarly. Add a hobbit wheel and dual variation here we come. Would a bigger range of variation be less stressful on the crank? You could even just attach it to a pulley with a clutch.

Za cranks are designed to be supported at the end.

Anyways, anyone see why a liquid cooled puch kit would be a bad idea?

Tracy Meade /

Ok ok ok.

1st a reed conversion on e50 ain't that hard If you put your elbow into it.

Second, frenchy dudes had the chance to buy a four hundred dollar case to run minarelli scooter parts and how many did it?

Third there are Lc scooter kits adaptable to puch.

The only point I'm trying to make is that there is always a reason not to do something, or someone is gonna suggest a different option etc. If Lc puch kits were kn high demand I bet they would have been made by now. I want to see you make them anyway though because that would be rad!

Yeah, it just sucks that the french bikes get the bolt on lc kits and puch don't. Boring the cases, changing deck height, and moving studs around is a bitch to fit a scooter kit.

Tracy Meade /

Also, I mean no disrespect to maitlands suggestion. It would also be rad to have That option.

Salsa Salsa /

Make replica cases that are case inducted. Have a huge bore area so you can get wild. . .

i'm just finishing up a senior design project that fell well short of being completed. I've been stressed out all school year and all i want to do is relax and coast.

keep it simple. Making an E-50 case is hella difficult, and you're still stuck with figuring out the whole variator thing, because scoot cylinders are mega hi-rpm and wont work well with one gear.

you wont get it to market for $400 unless you plan on doing all the work yourself and paying yourself nothing. The casting alone will be close to 100 because of all the cores required.

keep its simple, do something cast iron that doesn't require $200 worth of plating, or machining of a sleeve and all that nonsense.

the statistic i heard for mechanical components is, the final cost of a product is about 4x what it costs to strictly manufacture. There is a reason nobody stateside has been able to get any moped parts made by casting. its pretty hard, the process is very time consuming, and even if you know what you are doing there is a pretty good chance you'll screw up one or 3 times.

check out josh's nerdspeed blog, he tried to cast a cylinder a few years ago, and has some good info on the process.

Yeah, I pm'd him recently. Let me see if I can get him to chime in.

Instead of nikisil I thought about doing a KX80 steel sleeve...

if you are going the sleeve route you will need the transfer ports from the kx80 cylinder. if you are copying an existing cylinder you can use silicone to fill the ports and then cast your core box around that. Its actually pretty doable.

ha wow i have a water cooled bike every time it rains haha

it doesnt seem like it'll matter though because the performance isn't limited by how hot it gets, like water coolers let it rev up higher and not overheat, but the kit won't rev higher just by being water cooled so you gotta make the kit better too and thats the trick.

This is a beast of a problem. The core question is do you want to self-manufacture or do you want to design and finance? Any idiot with solidworks and cash in fist can have stuff made for them (taylor) but then you're on the hook for selling stuff that may not even sell very well. (also taylor) If you self-manufacture, its a ton more work and the cost of set-up can be high, but you're not on the hook for thousands in the process.

The next question is what kind of equipment do you have access to?

How many steps in the process can you eliminate through design?

I believe self-manufacturing is feasible, but the business model suxxx.

Doesn't sound like a good (possibly successful) senior project... :-(

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account