Kitting my moby

Mike Piarowski /

I just bought an le moped. Any recommendations for a fast and reliable set up? Should I get the polini av10 cases and go down the route? Or just kit the av7. Idk help me out this is my first motobecane! I have experience building other mopeds though. Any input is appreciated

Re: Kitting my moby

I would suggest to first figure out a budget of how much you want to pay per mph above 30mph and go from there - sky is the limit on kitting!

AV10 will mean replacing everything

AV7 kitting means replacing lots and reworking the rest

AV7 porting means reworking the motor and changing inlet and exhause

70cc Parmakit is really popular on the AV7 (research the kit before you buy). I wouldn't personally bother with an AV10 unless I was going to a track. It is a better engine, but you can get into the 50s with a kitted AV7 pretty easily while still being reliable. (edited)

Yeah, but if you want great mileage and more reliability, a 50cc av10 kills a 70 or 74cc av7. Less vibrations, better mpg, more power overall.

Just way more expensive...

For that matter, a ported "B" cylinder is pretty bad ass, and amazingly smooth.

Mike Piarowski /

How do you know if it's a b cylinder or not? I have 4 cylinders so maybe one of them is a b cylinder

The "B" cylinder is the 25mph one. I think you can identify it by having square transfers. Go to the wiki and look through the port maps. There is a great porting guide on in there. Also check out Mabecanemobylette. I believe rebelmoby has a nice porting guide in there.

Any reviews on the new 'house brand'70cc av7 kit from 77? I would like to hear from someone who has one before I pick one up.Wondering if it has the core shift issues the others have.

Everything AV7 works on the AV10 cases except the intake. Crank, vario, ignition all swap over. The best part about AV10 cases are the lower intake so no carb slapping the fuel tank.

Which ever way you go replace yo crank !!!

Mike Piarowski /

Yeah Im replacing my crank either way. But the vin says its a 51v model "b" so in guessing that means its a type b cylinder?

Yep. Also 51v should be AV10 but for some reason not all were.

51v in USA were exported from France with the AV7, people who individually imported the bikes brought in the AV10 ones.

Dont worry about core shift on kits, even stock cylinders often need some shimming to raise the port floors to meet the piston crowns.

Tracy Meade /

I think people over-hype the expense of an av10 setup. The cost of admission is a $100 case. Then you can get awesome kits for $150 (compare to puch polini ~$250) and an awesome pipe for $160 (compare at $260 for a destroyer or equivalent) by time it all adds up it isn't any more expensive than a serious puch build unless you go clutch pulley and that's a $200 part these days...I've seen puch people throw more money into clutches in a few months...

The bigger issue is whether you want to deal with this type of setup, as it requires much more patience and finess than single speed, two speed, or dual var.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account