liquid or paper gasket

Tyler Jaynes /

So I'm building a new av10 motor and was curious what people are using for the carter gasket? I was just curious if the paper gasket would be beneficial to keeping things in tolerance but wasn't sure if it would be a big deal or not.

Re: liquid or paper gasket

Paper gasket for the win.

I am partial to using paper gaskets on the carter halfs because when you reassemble the halfs and torque it up proper you have to stake it sometimes a couple of times before she rolls smooth as silk. If you use 3bond it does not like to be disturbed so much and you can have a leak and would need to disassemble and reassemble and start the sequence all over.

Lot of people also some reason like to use RTV (silicone) sealant which will gel after being in contact with fuel and make a mess and subsequently leak.

Tyler Jaynes /

thanks rebel, I figure it was time anyway to make multi gasket purchase since moby's love eating exhaust gaskets as well haha

Stop the mass destruction of exhause gaskets by just making the lower bracket to hold up the pipe then tighting the big nut first then the lower mount bracket. Also a good idea to lock wire the big nut http://mabecanemobylette.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1680

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

you can definitely make your own gaskets too, just watch your thickness for certain applications. also many people oil their paper gaskets before installing, i usually double bag it with a paper gasket and thin thin coat of hondabond if i want to be sure i never have to open it again.

Andrew Squiggman /

every time i see this title i read it as liquid paper or gasket

- Summerai - Corey Livieri /

Some great stuff I've been using for a while is Suzuki bond. A guy at a local shop recommended to me. It's just like yamabond, but a bit tackier so it doesn't run all over when you're applying it.

moby, I agree about the safety wire, but that thing you linked implies you need those special pliers. in my experience the pliers are more trouble than they are worth. just use needle nose.

(edited)

Untitled.png

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account