Vespa STOCK variator MOD....FREE 5 MPH!!!!

Ok...so I decided to hold on to my 78 Bravo and have some fun with her....the 64 polini, 13 SHA, and Proma circuit rip it up to 33 MPH fast...but that's it...I marked my vario and saw this.....

WTF!!! Right? So...I called JBOT and he suggested ramp extension...so...I got out the dremel and made a mess.....

In the end...A39 belt....stock 12:1 gears....full variation....38 MPH GPS flat. Still need to drop my roller weights, as they are sooooooooo heavy for the Proma.

Re: Vespa STOCK variator MOD....FREE 5 MPH!!!!

see this a million times on a hobbit, didn't really think to do it on a vespa...i'll have to give it a whirl on my stock variator!

Adam Pereira /

Be carful to not go too low on the stops. I have one roller that is just slipping out at full variation. I have some 15x13 rollers in there now... Too light...but holy shit it YANKS up to speed....then won't variate a the rollers are light...tuning now...I'll keep ya posted. I'd say keep the wall 10 to 12 mm high after the ramp to prevent the popping out....belt tension could fix this to...but I want max variation

that is cool,plenty of stock variators to toy with too

Adam Pereira /

I meant 15x12 rollers BTW...they fit pretty well I must say...not really a loss of low end with the taller rollers because the ramps suck on the stocker and the belt rides up off the cam anyway. And you can actually buy cheap rollers to tune the stock variator with...WOW!!!

I wonder if it will work on my variator. Did you grind down the brass bushing that limits variator travel? I did, and the belt already goes almost, if not all the way out. I'm going to have to mark it up and look at the travel, but maybe I can just take a little material off just to bring the belt out the rest of the way

Adam Pereira /

yeah...the bushing is ground down flush to the cheek....it was the ramps on my bravo vario that were the limitation of travel on mine. mark the vario and check to be sure.

It's that barbie cup that's giving you all that powah!

Pimp cup ftw!

Erg, this is how I did it on my hobbit. You left the outer edge in tact though. You could try to build up the area in the corner so the whole thing is a ramp. I think right now your weight has to wedge itself in the corner of your plate and vario.

maybe it wont work for your vario style though (edited)

I don't like how far the weight goes out by just cutting it all the way through. Especially since the stock variator has a trough before the outer wall that the weight could get stuck in. I agree with kozanotos in that if a ramp could be constructed all the way out, it would probably be better. And just thinking about a weight flying out at several thousand RPM scares the crap out of me...

Adam Pereira /

Hey...BARBIE FTW!!!! FO SHO!!!! ROAR!!!

^^^^I did ramp it after the pics...the rollers were still stopping until I did that...but I should have left 10-12mm and not 8mm lol...it's cool tho I think....I put an A40 belt on it and adjusted the motor...slapped some 6.8g 15x12 rollers in it...all looks good and pedaling to start feels like the same ratio as before, but the belt is all the way back in the rear sheave now and tight on the vario with room to adjust tension either way....the A39 was a good fit as well, but wan't riding at the fully closed rear position. I'll test run it a bit later on...maybe some video I hope too.

Adam Pereira /

Weights won't fly if you keep it at 10-12mm.

You can see his notching ramp in the thumb pic. The rest hadn't been done yet. Maybe you should post a pic of the final product, barbie.

Adam Pereira /

I will do that!!! KEN!!! And just to report....6.8g 15x12's are still too heavy under load to fully rev and variate...but it's back to 38 MPH with the long belt and reasonable accelleration from a stop...on the stand at full variation the rollers are staying in the vario. YAY!!!

Francisco Aranda /

any updates on this

Adam Pereira /

It's been raining out here pretty steady...I installed the A39 belt back on....I wasn't happy with the belt tension I could achieve with the A40...I think a Malossi belt is in the near future no matter what vario I run. I have just done a couple runs with 5.5g and 4.5g. The 4.5 g feels great, but I need to do some speed runs to check where it's running out to. Next time it's opened up I'll post some pics of the vario with the ramp angles cut into the stop. I'v also been fucking with my moby....it's being an asshole a week before the moped mountain ride!!!!

Francisco Aranda /

ok. I just keep watching , I want my free 5MPH and nice job dude

Adam Pereira /

So..I made the ramps a bit steeper and I did a couple runs today, no pics when I had it opened the other day to steepen....topped out at about 39mph with 4.5g weights of the 15x12 variety and the A39 belt...that's up from 33mph...it's pulling 35mph easy on even slight inclines now, up from about 25mph.

And thanks....totally worth it...thanks to JBOT AKA GREASY MOPED BALLS!! for the suggestion and tips!!!

Lol. Gmb in the garage again'

Good to hear she's running proper now.

Francisco Aranda /

lucky you. one of my weight rollers fly out the vario and hit the ground (lucky me) very hard and break the plastic cover. now I'm one roller weight short. I'm on mexico we dont have treatland back here to order a new set. I gonna have to go to the bike shop's and see if they have any. don't know what I did wrong post some pics of your final work. there's only 4 vespas on my town (population 450,000) and now 1 is dead

Adam Pereira /

Order some 15x12 roller weights from anywhere...any BWS 50 has that size. You must have cut the wall too low or the ramps aren't steep enough and the weights are pushing the plate out too far.

Francisco Aranda /

ok. BWS 50cc is a yamaha scooter there's a yamaha dealer on town tomorrow i'll stop and check if they have any. thanks

Adam Pereira /

They will be about 7g weights....then you can drill them to be lighter if need be. I stuck a stock roller on mine and have been running 4.5g 15x12 weights...runs great so far....I have a 60mi ride on Sunday, so we'll see how she does.

is it possible that the DR pulley weights would stay in better because of their shape?

The only reason the stock weights might fall out is if you don't make the ramps tall enough. When you chop out part of the wall, do less than you need to. Make them steeper and slightly taller than you need to start, and you'll not have a problem.

AdAm, please post the minimum height of the ramp so stocker weights won't fly out at full variation.

Adam Pereira /

The weights are 14mm.....so keep 10 to 12, like in the awesome hobbit vario photo...Mine are 8mm and only one stocker sticks, won't fly out tho, that's why I went up a mm in roller diameter. I have another vario coming to cut the walls higher on this time....I repeat...8mm is too short for stock rollers...start at 12mm!!!!!

Francisco Aranda /

ok. 12mm it is

Adam Pereira /

And that's above the ramp not from the face....so put the rollers in and go slow...you don't need to completely notch the ramps for this too work either I don't think...but some notching won't hurt.....just visualize the roller action and what it needs for support...close the pulley to full variation and mark the vario at a safe place maybe?

Francisco Aranda /

finally done . 40 MPH top speed fuck yeah. thanks guys for all your support

Adam Pereira /

Post up a pic of your finished vario when ya can if ya can bro!!! Awesome work!!!! What's the final setup?? HOLLA!!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account