Re: More info on Pietcard cdi boxes, 2013 vs 2041

Also, 2013 is a triggerless ignition and fires from a stepped down exciter coil voltage.

2041 uses a trigger coil to fire.

oh..........it does it

Oh ya. the phase shift is just an RC circuit wired in line with the trigger on the SCR. SCR trigger + RC circuit = curve.

Kevin Bishop /

I sure wish treats would get the red 54mm coil again

updates? just ordered a 2013 and meat colored coil from treats to try on a treat cdi and e50 points.

'meat colored' lol.

i have like 3 boxes,laying around, pietcards, what would you slap on this, i think mine is fried

i might switch to a MVT they worked fer me

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Reading through this thread, I am starting to realize I am a bit outta my league here. Anyways I ordered a 2041 to run on that treats Indian CDI. I am wondering if anyone has done their homework on what coil I should be using? Much appreciated.

olympia coil is all you need. i've had one thats run for a year or so now, no issues.

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

You need that olympia coil? I was talking to Ryan N and he said any 12v coil will do.

any 12v coil will work, I just suggested the olympia one because I like it.

Yea, I've used the Olympia coils of a few of these setups and they work great.

Erik Protsman /

I've put the yellow+2013 on my v1 Bat combo and have noticed sudden temp spikes. It will run in the mid 300s and then jump to 400 very fast. Maybe the high rpm power of the 80cc is overpowering those circuits and causing an advance like graham said... My stator is fully retarded and it still gets hot. Maybe I need to bust out a dremeling? Or buy the 2041? Or both?

You know it retards right? I would set it close to stock timing at idle.

Erik Protsman /

Right, but if it retards, why do temps spike at about the same time the curve should kick in? I think it may be one of the cases where it faults and advances.

The 80cc polini may generate >10,000 and screw with the 2013 (edited)

I had the exact same issue with a 2013 box where it advanced instead of retarding.... buyer beware is all I gotta say.

always always always use a timing light.

howd you deal with the advance issue? just try a new box or did you go with the 2041? dealing with the same thing right now

I was about to make a new post, but this ends right where I need to pick it up.

What if my 2041 box is advancing and not retarding? I don't have a complete picture of the full spectrum of the rpms and the timing as it may change, but as hold the bike and my light, I see it advancing on up past 6K.

Are there any conclusions about the proper coil?

Thanks guys.

I just got a 2041 for both of my bikes along with the pietcard coil. which are you using? people say the olympia coils work.

I'm pretty sure it's an olympia coil. It's not the combo coil thing.

you don't NEED an olympia coil

Deadped Ryan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also, 2013 is a triggerless ignition and fires

> from a stepped down exciter coil voltage.

>

> 2041 uses a trigger coil to fire.

I've done a bit of research but I'm still confused... If this is the case how can they be inerchangeable? I don't fully understand the internal workings, but I thought they worked on a different principle. I read that a CDI box is a CDI box is a CDI box, but isn't trigerless TCI?...evidently You can just wire the 2041 trigger to the other end of the exciter coil or vice versa? Can this be done with any trigger/excitercoil/htcoil/ground/(optional kill) box? Anyone care to school me?

What I do know that it's the 2013 looks to be the same kind of setup as a Kinetic CDI so I'm gonna try it at least...

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Kinetic_wiring_diagram (edited)

bump

Dirty30 Dillon /

Ayyyyyyyeee.

Still curious on success with the Cheapo CDI + 2041 on a ZA50. Have everything to do it sitting on the shelf, just being curious and all.

Also have a Morini M1/BRN build in the works too.

Why would it not work? Works great on an e50

mine runs but been meaning to bust out the timing light and tiny tach and make a vido of it retarding.

pulls about 5 degrees.. maybe a bit more. tuned it before break-in and didn't want to sit there revving the piss out of it on the stand

Tony montana /

I have the green coil with the 2041 box on my morini m1. runs fantastic and super easy to dial in! retards timing on the cev 6420 counter clockwise rotation. stator dead center right now and never hitting temps over 300.

so i'm back to this project. i had to slap my bike together for a rally and put the points back on, so slapping it together for a rally again i put the Treat CDI and 2041 back on.

I rewired the treat cdi with heavy gauge wire, and ground loopies and potted the connections and nice SHCS hardware with lockwashers and loctite... cool.

Hooked it up, got it running, bam fried the pickup coil... ok whatever.

back to the drawing board, new pickup coil, rewired blah blah, running great retarding awesome ripping hard... bam fried another pickup coil.

frustrated so i pulled the main coil and pickup off the treat plate, and installed the 3055, fired up right away running good with treat flywheel but it was missing and completely broke up on the top end, firing all over the place.

ok, maybe its the treat cdi flywheel, redid it with the OEM flywheel, same thing maybe even worse.

Put the timing light on it and when it does break up it is still firing, but firing exactly 180 out of phase. Breaks up randomly but it is pretty consistently broken up over 6000 rpm. Tried moving the 3055 coil around spacing it out and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Some people say this is what their 3055's do. Some people say this is what happens when your 2041 fries out.

I'm going to have some EE's at work look at the circuit as soon as i can get a schematic from someone. I'm also going to try running a resistor on the line and see if that helps at all.

I'm also thinking i'll try running the treats CDI box on this guy... maybe the A3202/jog if i can find it anywhere, i know i have one in a box somewhere but fuck if i can find it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account