Fork swap ideas

john doe /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Lets talk about fork swapping! I thought I knew what I was doing today, tore off the fa50 fork 1" diameter shaft 7" long, then tore off the fz50 fork swap only to find 2 different sizes of shaft. 1" on top and about 1 1/2 bottom and only 5" in length.

To continue on the same track I could either cut and reweld the head stock from the fz onto the fa. OR cut the shaft from fz and weld it to the fa. I don't think if can be lathed down enough because the the stem is hollow with a ID close to the needed od. I trade a lot of work with a machine and welding/chopper shop so I have access to machines and experienced people. Thoughts?

If I didn't continue down the same road what are other options for the fa50 frame? I like the rock shock look on some bikes. biggest diff is my rear wheel is a fz 12" 5 spoke star, and I don't think the stock front spoke rims match up very well.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account