2 KINDS OF PERFORMANCE

Been on here for so many years, I've lost count. Without going into a long story, on how I discovered Mopeds & how I got my first one (free), I've noticed that most people think performance is measured by how much power they have. And as a motorcyclist for over 45 years, I will attest to liking power. However there is another 'forgotten' performance, which I think would be a good challenge, especially since we're headed for a crisis with the ever eroding economy: mileage performance. Just because mileage could be at the top of the list, doesn't mean that it has to be at the sacrifice of power. (well maybe to some extent) I do remember, quite well, that my first Puch got 140 mpg & went down to 110 when I put on a pipe, mild porting & re-jetted. I needed the extra power to get up the hills around here, and many times I'm hauling a trailer to boot. It wasn't a big sacrifice.

First, I'm wondering if there are others who feel economy is important and what kinds of things you have done to find a happy balance between power & economy? I've always been a believer that the 'stack up' of all the little things to aid performance offers the best over all solution to performance. Also I haven't even gotten into the aerodynamic issue. Check out the thread, where a guy's getting 235 MPG on a euro 125cc motorbike.

http://www.velomobiel.nl/allert/Recumbent%20motorbike.htm

Re: 2 KINDS OF PERFORMANCE

!!!Bookmarked!!! Can't wait for some good replies.

E.g. You may think that a smaller carb gets better mileage, but that is not true in all cases. I guess it would depend on the application.

get a 4 stroke.

my cub 50 gets around 180mpg

also, gearing up, when possible is a great way to boost top speed and mileage. a double whammy. With a well tuned pipe and accordingly regearing I bet you could balance performance gains & losses pretty well (of both types)

You could also run lean which could boost mileage and drastically reduce lifetime. ha.

The usual stands too, good tires, tire pressure, good rolling bearings throughout, just totally minimizing any losses. Oh, and go on a diet.

i would be interested in hearing if anyone has noticed improvements in performance from different air filter/airbox combos. given the gas on my shoes and pants, i'm sure there are a couple mpg to be found in better air dampening.

i had a 'magic fast' totally stock puch maxi.. .just the super bare bones model. went 35 all day and got ridiculous fuel mileage. i think the air filter made a big difference. taking it off and upjetting it properly slowed it down a lot.

Greg Nichols /

In my humble opinion, the best way to tune a bike for MPG is to take any unnecessary weight off. another thing I find with old mopeds is any fuel leakage from your petcock and your carburetor will add up to more refueling as drops of gas actually mean something on a moped. I am sure fairings and scoops do something but I bet the real gains are in getting a great fuel/air mixture and not going faster than 30

Swoop: No doubt I could loose a few lbs.

Everyone has made good observations & insight so far. I totally agree that any fuel leakage is a super negative for economy. That's why keeping the Bing well sorted out + the petcock is so important.

I have wanted a 'dustbin' fairing for a long time, just to see how much a difference it would make with mileage. I'd bet it would help a lot.

We should start a MPG/MPH chart to see who gets the highest speed for the smallest amount of gas used.

Maybe Shaw could chime in about his experiences with 50cc performance/mileage. I'm sure a 50/50 isn't gunna get fantastic mileage, but it would be good info to know just what it is.

Hey Shaw. You out there?

Zeke Rigg /

you can get more mpg by making every thing work smoother with out introducing more air/ gas so port matching, good flow , and less resistance in the drive train will all give more power and give mpg.

also that streamliner has insane gearing i thought those things were 2 high stock. i geared the one i got down. so i could get off the line why would you gear it up? the dumb thing only makes 9hp and all on the top 2.

other than the thing is unridable in real life props to whoever made it that thing is sweet

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

E.g. You may think that a smaller carb gets better mileage, but that is not true in all cases. I guess it would depend on the application.

Kozantos,

can you expand on this? I went with a 19mm PHGB opposed to a 20 or 21 because I'd rather have better mileage due to Maxi's and there small tanks.

I would think the weight of the moped has a lot of influence on mileage. A dude I know is making this Maxi N that you can lift with 2 fingers, it is sick.

On the weight thing, absolutely. Same principle behind the fairings. Less drag, less pull = freer movement = better mileage.

Weight and mileage were actually why I chose getting my 40v moby over the 50v moby the seller had available (it was also cheaper and in better condition, honestly, but i did my homework). I can trim a lot off the 40's frame that i can't off the 50's, bringing the frame down to probably 15-20lbs. lighter than the 50's, giving me that much more MPG room to wiggle with larger engine bits if I wanted to.

Nothing impressive about a ripper that needs re-filling every 45 miles.

^^^ I second that!

Kozantos,

can you expand on this?

Not particularly. A motorcycle genius was telling me about his triples. The guy likes the 3 cylinder bikes, and not crappy shaft driven triples like yam's, he likes the good stuff... anyway he said he threw some bigger mikunis on there and not only did he STILL blow away his buddies bikes, he was pulling better mileage too afterward. Ill have to ask him if there is any sort of way to figure out how to duplicate the result. I was hoping somebody else would expand !

My thoughts are that it can mix the fuel better with the air, but I'm sure a lot of people would think that's silly. I know nothing.

I should get a few mikuni clones and try it on my hobbit. Rather than buying a nice mikuni. IN the name of SCIENCE! I just need a throttle cable and the carb; got the intake already.

bigger carb can = more power which can= less engine lugging which can = better mileage. depends on how restricted it was tuned from the factory. also depends on how often you open up the throttle. right wrist/hand control will probably yield the best mileage.

Sorry to ruin your thread :cries:

Greg Nichols /

I was thinking about this thread when I was filling up my puch. different premix oils seem to be more efficient at lubing a engine, so do you think they could also change the efficiency as well? Does 30/1, 50/1 or a 100/1 make any difference on how much gas it will take to get to top rpms for your engine and if so then I think there would be a slight difference in total MPG.

I am sure that it is a small variable. Also as certain types of kits like more or less oil it seems like it would be more important to get a efficient cylinder and use the oil best for it but I felt like asking if anyone thought this was valid or if the fumes were getting to me again!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account