3-Shoe Clutch

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

I just installed a treats 3'shoe clutch late last night. I didn't get a chance to start it cause it was late and the Kstar is too loud. Good thing though because I looked at my work bench and noticed one of the 3 clips that hold the shoes on was just chilling there, wondering why he was forgotten and his brothers were not. So I was wondering will the shoe fly off if I try to start it?

I would like to see if I like how its tuned before I take out the clutch again. I have blue springs, shoes are 73.0 grams each, screws are 1.5 turns in from flush. Is this a good starting point? How can I know its not grabbing too late causing it to wear out too fast?

Re: 3-Shoe Clutch

Get a tachometer. You can use that to tell you what rpm you are slipping too. On my two shoe that's been lightened, the cluth doesnt even skim the bell with a rider on it til 3.5k and fully grabs at 4.7k. Get a tachometer and ride with an unmodded clutch first. Let the tach tell you when your clutch should slip to. I had the 2 shoe on a 50cc project, but I swapped it for a braced 3 shoe with Paz springs. I want my 3 shoe to start grabbing at 4.5k and fully grab by 5.5k or so. I'll let you know what I do for weight on my shoes when the time comes. I've found there's like a 1.2k range between skimming the bell and fully engaging.

nice work adam.

The arm without the clip isn't going anywhere. If you ever find that want to change your spings and can't get them to pop out of the set screw holes and you have to pry the arm off with the spring still in it, you'll see what I mean. Plus, there's no where for it to go.

You can get into an e50 tranny in 10 minutes.

Just lay your back at a 45 degree angle and all the oil will go back into the case.

This way you can reinstall the clip, and adjust the clutch as you tune.

Saves all the time from draining and refilling oil every time.

Sneakypure, you saved me a lot of grief with the little tip. So much easier than draining and refill every time.

I'll see if I can't find a cheap tach at the motorcycle store.

Also I have a friend who thought it would be okay to ride pretty hard on his E50 without any tranny fluid, and he eventually seized because of an unrelated issue. After getting a new piston and cleaning up the cylinder he still can't get past like 10mph. He has good compression, I timed the points myself, and he has tried everything on his carb to get if running faster.

Might I assume that he burned up all his clutch pad material ripping all over the place without tranny fluid?

Friends setup: 70cc Kstar Reed Kit, 21mm VM Mikuni, Tecnigas Exhaust, points.

What would be the symptoms of a burnt up clutch? I would think that it would rev up without any additional power but then I was thinking if the clutch controls the crank rotation, if it aint grabbing than the piston wouldn't be moving fast enough for how far open the carb is causing a really rich scenario.

Please help me help my friend.

www.prohoists.com for a $20 shipped tachometer. Tell your friend to learn how to do this shit himself or quit mopeds. He probably burned his clutch pads to nothing causing the clutch to engage before the bike has a chance to make any power. He is probably just going WOT from a dead stop. He needs to learn alot period.

Oh man, yeah, I never empty the fluid in my tranny when I want to open the clutch. Just lay that shit down.

I don't think burning through the clutch pads would explain what you've described; There's a pretty high coefficient of friction between steel/steel, so the clutch probably wouldn't perform all that differently. Plus I don't think you'd burn through the pads that quickly. It's pretty easy to find out though.

I know, I started before him with tuning mopeds. I spend too much time on this website though.

I'll sell him my old 2-shoe I just pulled from mine. Not before I got my shit tuned up first though.

Thanks I got a tachometer coming now.

tacho page

From the page:

# Resets to Zero after 10K Hours

# Reads up to 99,999 RPM

# Programmable Service Maintenance Setting

# Alerts When Abstinence is Required

# LCD Display-

# Simple Easy to Set up Design

# Splash Proof

# Battery Included- Up to 35K Hours of Life

# Works on any Spark Plug Gasoline engine

LOL! What when it senses a chick is crazy it will alert you that abstinence is the best possible route?

Tachometers are the truth. Now you won't be blasting going wow!!! 45!!!!! It'll be "8k, nice powerband, yes yes"

Bump. I know that everybody's setup is a bit different but is there a RPM limit to where my clutch should be engaging at? Whats the best RPM to be fully engaging at?

I just got the tachometer wired up last night, I haven't rode with it too much yet but it seems to be fully engaging at around 4,500 RPMs, too late?

It's purely preference. The later it engages the faster you'll take off (provided your engine can hit hi revs), but the quicker you'll wear out the pads. Also, if it doesn't engage until something crazy like 8,000 rpm you won't be able to go slower than like 30. I don't have a tac so I don't know when mine engages, but it's at about 20 mph and I can't really hold a speed much below 10.

Is this bike kitted? Those 3 shoes are pretty poorly made and bend very easily, especially if you tune them to engage late. I didn't really even notice any performance increase so I ended up going back to the stock cluctch with stiff springs.

Yeah its got a 70cc kstar on it. I have it engaging around 4500 so I should be ok?

Yea, you could even go later, the boss doesn't even start to make power til 5.5-6k anyways. I'm changing my plans of a clutch engaging it 5.5k and settling for 5k fully engaging. Longer pad life. I braced the 3 shoe though and put Paz springs on it. Need to take some weight off the shoes with a drill press though and switch over to motul 10-30 tranny fluid. (edited)

how did you drill the holes for the brace? It seems like there's very little room for error there.

its hard to drill the holes right if its your first time using a drill press. my first one was my first time using one, i didnt get totally right and basically just had to bore one of the plate holes out a tiny bit.

emmanual who does briton bees sells a drill guide that works 100% perfect on 1977.

if i did it again i think i would just try clamping the brace down perfectly over the clutch posts and use that as a guide. but man that drill guide makes it easy.

i was there for the death of an e50 clutch once. it worked real good for a while, then it started engaging higher and higher till it would barely engage at all. the bike (hero kit/phbg) would still go fast, eventually. there were no shoes and a lot of metal gone when examined it think. everything else was fine, magically....

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account