Powdercoat stripping??

The small sand blasting unit I am using will not strip the coat off of a set of snowflakes I will be re coating and the old stuff is really on there. I have found some suggestions with paint strippers and gasket remover spray and was just wondering if anyone has success with this using these or other chemicals. Thanks I will post pics of the build after the wheels are finished.

Venom

Re: Powdercoat stripping??

go to eastwood.com and get the powder coat remover, works wonders

Burn it until it's crispy with a torch then sandblast it..

I've heard of using the gasket remover stuff also, but haven't tried it yet.

Jumper K. Balls /

Any Methylene Chloride based paint stripper will chew right through powder coat. Aircraft remover, Jasco, Duplicolor paint stripper.....ect. Any auto parts store, hardware store or department store will have what you need. A stiff bristled brush makes nooks and crannies a bit easier.

Yea, spray with aircraft remover, wait 15 min, hit with a power washer. Repeat. I wouldnt heat it if I didn't have to, I hear roumers of just multiple layers of powder can weaken rims just from the heat exposure. Don't want to risk a front rim blowing

Hi I've worked at a Sandblasting shop that also did powdercoating. What we did when a part needed to be redone was first sandblast as good as you could. that atleast takes off the loose stuff and textures the surface . We then feather sanded around where the coating has come off as much as you could. Powdercoating is very hard and not easy to sand or feather out the edge. Just do it as good as you can then blow it off good. we then put it in the oven and preheated the part for a good while. This first of all softened the old coating and made the new powder melt right when it hit the part. pull it out powdercoat it while still hot and then back into the oven to cure. Powdercoat is much thicker than regular paint and will cover much more than you think. Done this way the new powdercoat will stick,cover much and look good.

The heat required to destroy powder coat from a torch would melt your aluminum rims. Use a stripper that has methylene chloride as an ingredient. Lowes and Home depot sell a spray can of this stuff, and it will dissolve the powder. Or pay an industrial sand blaster to remove it, or sand blast it as best you can and powder over it. They are a huge pain.

Jasco, old paint brush (non-synthetic bristles), plastic paint scrapper, wire brush and elbow grease. Apply Jasco with paint brush, wait 15-30 mins or until the powdercoat wrinkles, scrap and brush it off, flush with water, dry, repeat until you get it off. Use rubber gloves (dishwashing gloves) and rinse them off periodically with water.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account