E50 clutch nut loosening

Ricky Lacapria /

This has happened to me maybe 3 times now and it's annoying. Should I crank the thing down now? Or use some threadlock cause it seems like eventually the washer, nut combo works it's way loose.

Re: E50 clutch nut loosening

never had one get loose, are you using a piston stop when you tighten the nut down?

Ricky Lacapria /

Yeah, it's weird, idk if it's just cause it's slick from oil or what. I'm gonna try getting them both nice and dry and maybe some threadlock.

Iamcrkt is definitely right.

You don't need threadlock.

It's not the slick oil.

Built a shit ton of e50s, never had this problem.

Put in a piston stop, then hit the nut with the correct amount of torque, or just torque it on there.

Only way it will then come off is with, again, the piston stop and torque. . . .

20 ft/lb. Should be a wave washer there too.. Piston stops are rough on your main bearings and piston crown, I like using a chain strap around the flywheel..

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

That puts all the stress on the keeway and or shaft taper.

Ricky Lacapria /

Wayne, what does, tightening it down super hard? Someone else told menyoure suppose to hand tighten these.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

I use a 3/8 impact and hit it a couple times. Never had mine come loose. Be sure the key is aligned correct. Put in a piston stop and turn it both ways against the stop so it seats all the way. Maybe its not seating until you ride it then when it falls in the nut gets loose. Maybe? Maybe not?

Hand tighten the clutch nut??

Is the taper on the crank and on the clutch in good condition? If not that might be your issue.

Use some lapping compound on the crank and then twist the clutch left and right on the crank to mate the tapers and clean up any rough spots.

Also DO NOT put a ton of torque onto that nut.

Next time you go to remove the clutch you might end up bending the clutch plate wail trying to take it off. I have broken an clutch puller and bent 2 clutch plates when rebuilding motors that someone put together with an pneumatic impact gun.

seriously? the range of correct tightness is from hand tight- to use an IMPACT?????

crazy.

i have had to apply like 150 or more foot pounds to a lug-nut to get it off on my car from some jackamo who put it on with however many pounds the gun puts out. just blows the mind.

The tool you are looking for is a torque wrench, when people say Torque it down or "torque it to spec" they don't mean as tight as you can go until you dot your underpants with a spec of pee.

they mean clutch nut 21-28ft/lbs then the wrench clicks and you double check and you take out the piston stop. Same with the Flywheel, and the engine studs, and the exhaust nuts........

the repair manual for everything usually has the specifications for all fasteners tightness.

Pablo Puchasso /

I bought the second cheapest electric impact from Harbor freight and it's always done me right. Best $60 I've spent on a tool.

Ricky Lacapria /

Paz the taper looks like shit now that I looked at it better, so that could be an issue, and I'm still having this issue, but not the loosening. I don't have a torque wrench right now, but it seems like if I crank it on there fairly good, the clutch is always engaging and spinning with the bell. Don't I want the clutch to spin on it's own till I pull the clutch cable, or it engages? And if I don't tighten it down crazy, it spins on it's own, but then I put the cover on, and it won't engage with the clutch lever, or it will barely. The arm on the cover will bend out farther than I've ever seen it.

This is ridiculous cause I've built this engine like 4 times and never had a single issue with it. Now I'm going nuts.

first thing, do not pull the starter lever when the motor is running. It will cause premature wear the the starter plate and the starter clutch lining.

If your taper looks like shit then that IS your issue. Your clutch will never mate correctly with the crank with a damaged taper.

Sounds like there is also an issue with clutch bell spacing. Make sure the clutch bell has some float in and out and the correct series of circlips and spacers are being used. The bell should spin independently from the crank unless the clutch is engaging it.

i have used the harbor freight torque wrench for years now with good readings, repeatability and has worked fine, i think they are like 15 or 18 doll hairs.

I use mine when i adjust the valves on my diesel or put in new injectors or put my clutch back on.....

great investment

Ricky Lacapria /

Awesome I'll have to do something about that taper then, thanks chris.

also, if you guys are worried about marring the piston, threading a little length of bungee cord into the spark plug hole will work pretty well in lieu of a piton stop.

I have one of those 3 finger claw type oil filter wrenches that fit onto a 1/4" ratchet wrench, works great for grabbing a flywheel for tightening/loosening clutch nuts. Just throwing that out there...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account