NU50 performance issue

Christopher Freeman /

So I finally got my NU50 to turn over and even drive around a little bit, the problem I'm having is that as soon as it gets going or I open up the throttle to speed up the bike it dies. I can drive it around real slow under 15mph but as soon as I really try to open it up it falls flat on its face. A buddy recommended cleaning and lubricating the throttle cable, believing its sticking so when it finally opens the carb gets flooded, I'm cool with his theory. My question is how and the hell do I lubricate it? Do I need to take the whole thing apart? Can I just open the top, by the right hand control lever and squirt some cable lube in there or must I disconnect both ends on the bottom as well?

Re: NU50 performance issue

The cable is not your problem, most likely a dirty carb or carbon build up in the exhaust/head. Make sure you have the correct spark plug as well.

As for lubing the cable, best way to do it is to take it completly off the bike and lube all the ends meaning throttle end, carb slide end and oil pump end. It takes a bit of time and lots of working the cable back and forth to get the lube all the way down the cable.

Christopher Freeman /

Carb has been cleaned and recleaned, I've read you can throw the exhaust in a fire to burn all the carbon build up out of it, is this a tried and true method?

As for the cable, you can see on the right hand side of the bike, where the throttle and oil pump meet up, there's that little lever which the throttle cable is connected to, the return on that lever is super slow when engaging and disengaging the throttle. When I move it back and forth with my finger there's no resistance and has good play, that's why I believe it's the cable. Am I totally out of my element?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Show up to Angelo's on Hawthorne tomorrow night, around 9-ish, and we'll help you out.

Christopher Freeman /

Bet, thanks man.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I'll have these guys show up, hopefully,

http://www.mopedarmy.com/riders/kucharskins/

http://www.mopedarmy.com/riders/chrisleighty/

both of their Urbans are fast.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account