Re: Another E50 Polini Thread... im sorry.. just a quick question

remember your polini is precious.

Your best bet is to start at a main jet that definitely makes you 4 stroke then work your way down.

You will kill your stock crank.

Please Please Please run something like motul 8002t or amsoil saber.

When you do that please run them 60:1 for motul and I think even less than that for saber (any saber users tell your ratio?).

Also, spark plugs do not "cool" your engine down. I've never been able to run a b8hs on either of my polinis. The b7hs should be perfect (have used b6 as well, but prefer the 7).

Also, to your jetting question, if anything, by jetting correctly in your top end and then getting idle, and all your other positions correct, you will be able to run at your best everywhere in your range. If you are underjetted, you could experience a hulk-like powerband, but that will quickly heat everything up and then your engine will go SCHWIIIIIIIIING.

good luck and be patient!

Nick Bezanson /

Im running amsoil Interceptor oil.

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/2-cycle-oil-synthetic-interceptor.php

It was recommended by a gear head with smaller bikes. Il try to find saber oil. Im trying my hardest to be patient. its very hard when all you wanna do is go. I just tried it again, and had a major air leak. i stripped my sylinder bolt. lucky i didnt blow it up!

Nick Bezanson /

So i picked up a B7HS plug today, and it seems to be running better. Anybody know optimum timing for the 64 polini? running treats cdi.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

1mm to 1.25

1.25 MAX with the 15mm bingo carb under 10K

Most run 1.2 if running under 10.5K.

And 1.1 up to 11K

More info in my profile (edited)

Nick Bezanson /

Thanks wayne, I notice that when its at idle, its sitting at one measurement, but than when i rev up, the timing seems to change. at what point (rev or idle) is the timing meant to be 1 to 1.25?

You using a timing light?

if so ck/set it at 4K and see what you got @ 8/9K/9.5K & 10K (edited)

Nick Bezanson /

Yup.

you can get away running 100:1. i'm probably running 80:1 right now, i quit measuring & just guess.

If you go past 60 to 1 your bearings wont have a good oil film to cushion the shock & presser loads.

So your bearings/piston pin wont last as long.

Probably Fred /

What Wayne said ^^ Unless water-cooled like some outboards that came out before 4 stroke outboards they have now had 100 to 1 oil. More heat more friction viceaversa. Man old iron bore 2 strokes ran good at 32 to 1 Ya I know oil is better now but oil keeps friction-heat down. Polinis I run 55-60 to 1 and 40-50 to one on everything else. I take things apart all the time and I have little wear on my top ends, pin, bushings and needle bearings

Yea don't go by my first comment on Plugs.... The "run cooler, or hotter" part is correct but I explained it wrong.... Basically the insulator tip is different length and will dissipate the heat quicker... Or slower depending on the plugs heat rating.

- Joe W.C.

Nick Bezanson /

thanks. now since il have to check timing at certain rpm,s what device can i use to check my rpm?

The Trail Tech tach and temp gauges from Treats are money well spent.

-Joe W.C.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

AARrtgh, you need to slow SLOW down. You have so many questions and by the sounds of it you keep running the bike in between them. You say you are probably going to blow it 2 more times before getting it right, that is WRONG. Again, slow down.

Step one: Start over. Your case match appears to be super duper rough. You want it smooth. It sounds like you switched clutch springs but didn't get any results, do more reading, LOTS more reading.

Step two: Pull it all apart and rebuild. It looks like in the first pictures of the thread you simply cleaned the oil/gunk off the cylinder/piston with some sand paper. That's bad. You've seized the thing and now you need to really clean it up before running again. Polini's can be temperamental, but only if you abuse them. Follow roffmans advice and get the inside of the cylinder cleaned up with some muriatic acid. Get all the smeared aluminum off, no matter what. If its not perfectly smooth, or if anything is still on that nikasil, it is going to seize again. Same goes for your piston. Make sure it is just as smooth where you seized it as it is on all the other machined surfaces. Next verify all (ALL) the mating surfaces are flat. That sandpaper to the top of the cylinder can lead to a leak, so smooth it out. Same goes for the intake. Make sure it is flat. Do a drop test. Follow Wayne's advice and heat the piston so it expands like it would when operating. If it has any hesitation, it is going to seize when you run it.

Step three: Re-assemble. Do all of this right. Make or buy new gaskets. Torque everything properly. Get some brass spacers to put over your studs so that the cylinder doesn't mover around when you tighten it up. Before you run it, time your bike. This is the MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do. An improperly timed bike will make poor power, will give you false plug readings, can cause way too much heat, and worst case can seize your cylinder. Get a timing light, and again, follow Wayne's specs. Skimping on timing can lead to a forever poor running bike and increases the risk of your bike breaking.

Step four: Double Check everything. Before you go blasting down the street, make sure you have no leaks. Did you check your timing? Do it again. Before firing it up, does everything turn over nice and easy. Is your gas new and clean and mixed right. You are supposed to run dino oil for break-in. Debate surrounds the oil ratio and its all silly. Run between 40 and 50:1. Always. The oil ratio is NOT what is causing a seizure. Its something else you did wrong. Or maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so after thousands of unrestrained polini miles, all at 42.5 to 1.

Step five: Start running the bike. Again check for leaks. Start the jetting rich and work down. Just because you are running half throttle down the street and its running super rich does NOT mean you need to downjet the main. Read up on carburetor tuning. There are many variables, and learn how to isolate them.

Step six: Ride your bike. Remember to continually check that everything is tight, and if you might just maybe kind of think something is wrong, take no chances. Go home (pedaling) and fix it before its an issue. Funny sound are always bad and if it was running really bad then somehow its going great, chances are something is wrong.

Finally, before you do anything, read this

http://magnumdash.wordpress.com/2010/03/18/guide-pro-tips-to-building-a-puch-polini/

Don't port your cylinder. Again, read up a bunch. Mopeds are finicky as is, and polinis can be even more so. I still believe they are the best moped cylinder, but they take time and patience. If you don't follow the steps and take it slow they will break. Its understandable that you just want to get out and ride, I remember when I first rode a polini, its intoxicating. But remember that if you do it right from the beginning it will require less effort and it will run better.

Nick Bezanson /

Absolutely, im seeing that i was doing too much at once. WHich is why i separated myself from my bike. IM going to do it all from the beginning. My piston was not sanded, i just wiped it with paper towel, and whats left there is what stuck. I havent really been riding the bike, more so starting it and letting it idle a bit, doing a few circles, but nothing considered real riding. Im going to get my bike in a few weeks, print these threads and go over all the advise start to finish. I got caught up in the upgrade, and it consumed me.. lol Thanks for the instructions Cupermcnewbster,

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

i do the same thing: get excited then get ahead of myself. Breaking expensive parts is not fun, so I've learned to slow it all down. You will be happy you did.

Nick Bezanson /

Haha yup! the only way to do that was to put my bike in a totally different province. Like i said, it consumed me.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account