Stock Vario on Polini AV10 Cases?

This is something of a double post, as I put it in repair forum but then I realized I wasn't missing any parts or anything.

The question is, has anybody tried to put a stock vario on Polini AV10 cases? When I slide the vario on the shaft, it stops home by hitting the case. That's not right. I'm actually not sure what stops the vario from scraping the AV7 case, but this is clearly not correct. Anybody know what is going on here? Should I try and add a super-thin bushing between the case and vario?

Re: Stock Vario on Polini AV10 Cases?

the AV10 had a thinner fixed pulley cheek than the AV7 vario. grind down your fixed cheek or swap to an aftermarket new vario, which will be AV10 style.

Thanks Bret.

Yea Mich, I noticed this when I was building my av10. So I just got myself an er3.

Yeah, this project pretty much drained me as it is. I really don't want to buy anymore speed stuff right now.

I filed down the offending part of the giant 32mm hex nut. Now just the center part of the vario will rub... if it does. I don't have good snap ring pliers... and its a real pain to test fit things when it takes 1 hour to get the inner ring off. BUT, I had this idea to put one of the super-thin vario spacers between the inner cheek and case, for safety sake. Once I set the inner snap ring, I can play with the outer spacing to keep it away from the case but I'm afraid to snap the inner on yet because its like, do and/or die. There is just no way to know if it will rub the case without a test fit. So frustrating. So I'm sitting here drinking a beer and contemplating my next move.

No, i meant the outside circumference. Thats the part of the variator that rubbed on mine.

Yea I am with Brett.

Oh weird, no that is not my problem at all. I'm close at the hub. I'll look at it again later today.

oh, i forgot that I was using the stock AV10 cases. you may have a different problem than me, but the only difference that I am aware of between the two variators is that fixed cheek edge.

The spacing issue you are having might be related to the thin washers that go between the circlips. did you mix up the thick and thin washers? That spacing is really touchy.

yea I am using the stock cases also.

The cheeks might have hit the case bolts, but I cut them down pretty short before assembling. When I came to my senses, and got a tip from Moby Rebel, I put the vario on and put the inner clip on. Once the spacing for the outer clip is on, it keeps it away from the case (if you set it to .1mm play that is). So all is good with clearance. BUT, now, I noticed my belt is not even close to being aligned. I wonder if AV10 motors are slightly offset from AV7?

I'm not sure what to do. I might trim down the long cylindrical spacer on the right side, and then add a washer or two on the left side to compensate. Anybody else have this problem?

IDK, that's pretty close. And it'll be better once the variator opens and moves the belt the the picture's left.

I grinded down the little spacer that pops in the head to shimmy it a little more to put me closer to alignment at variation. Try to get the inner cheek of the variator to align with the inner rim of the pulley as much as possible.

Ha....so glad this post is here to clear things up. I'm working on my first AV10 build and just experienced this....lucky for me I had a spare cheek, that is either from an AV10 or was already shaved for one!!! Ha...score!!! Now the fun of swapping it over begins!!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account