Moby head gasket

Justin Petraitis /

Is there any significant gain in power with running an av7 without that metal head gasket? I feel like I read about it somewhere, but cannot remember exactly what it said, and I cannot find the thread for the life of me. I would imagine if there was any gains, they wouldn't be extraordinary, but I'm wondering if they would be even noticeable.

Re: Moby head gasket

Higher compression.

I've run both ways, but didnt notice much difference. Maybe it's because I blew my stator side oil seal last year, and didnt realize it for a couple months?

Justin Petraitis /

Yea i know there would be an increase in compression, but would it produce a noticeable change in power? What are the inherent risks that come with not running a gasket, other than air leaks?

Risks are air leaks and compression leaks.

The gain in compression is really not significant as there are two thickness of head gasket 1,0mm (23462) and 0,6mm (14854).

If you run without a head gasket and it leaks you will lose more compression then you gained for the volume of the head gasket.

If you want to bump up the compression then shave the head a little and make a gasket from a soda can.

I'm inclined to think that my stator side oil seal failed as a result of me running a malossi high comp head with no head gasket, on 30 year old seals. But maybe that's ignorance talking?

Stator side is always hotter then the pto side so that helps get the seal nice and baked. Add in the heat from high compression after 30 years of slow cooking and it will fail...

isn't the bottom end pretty much the same pressure even in a high compression engine?

^ Yes. The high compression is only in the top end. The case pressure would not change just from a high comp head.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account