Mikuni vs Oko

PuchmagnumPI /

oko is 70 bucks at treats but a mikuni is 115.

Why wouldnt I buy the Oko? any performance reasons?

All i see on here is how much people love mikuni's with not too much said about oko's.

Re: Mikuni vs Oko

I dunno, im thinking about an OKO for my next build...the availability of needles, idle jets, and main jets make it tempting, not to mention the price...

Tate in Madison /

I just bought a 21mm OKO.

I think part of the reason OKO's aren't as popular is the fact that the smallest you can go is 21mm which is really about as big as you need to go on most moped builds.

Mikuni VM's go from like 12mm up to at least 24mm and probably a lot more.

Some people also are really into the flat slides on the bigger Mikunis but I can't speak to that since I have never used one of the flat slide mikunis.

OKO's are pretty big in scooter world. Since a lot of the fast scooters (Jogs, Dios, etc.) legitimately need massive 30mm carbs when they are really tricked out and even a mild scooter build can make good use of a 21mm carb OKOs are about the correct range for a scooters needs.

Also the fact that pretty much every aftermarket scooter intake is made for an OKO and not many moped intakes are made for them (they have massive engine side mounting spigots) probably has something to do with it.

PuchmagnumPI /

The 24 oko I am looking at is technically a flatslide as well. Hmm......

IDK everyone i've ever met that had a mikuni loved loved loved em. i Feel like its like th PC vs the Mac if you've never used a mac you hate em if you've used a mac you cant or don't wanna go back to a PC 'ive herd the Mikuni's are just wicked easy to tune.

Mikuni - Solid, quality carb used by motorcycle manufactuers (Yamaha) and racers world wide for many years.

OKO- Cheap chinese knock off w/ marginal quality, hard to tune.

Never had a issue tuning any OKO.. or Mikuni.

I work with a lot of OKO's mainly because you can get the carb, jets and needles for the price of a flatslide.

If you can tune a PHBG or Mikuni then you can tune a OKO

24 oko POWERJET shits awesome better low rpm power than a mikuni

I don't have an OKO, though I have the carb from which it is copied on one of my GPRs. I also have the Del 21 racing on my other GPR. On the Monza I have the 24 Makuni flatside.

I like all three carbs for different reasons. The del is black (which I like!), easy to open and adjust the needle and main jets. It was the first performance carb that I've bought for one of these bikes. Putting this on the GPR transformed it. Stock it had a 17.5 del.

The Mikuni on the Monza feels smooth and works well. I have it with a Gila kit. It is a hassle to change the needle compared to the Del. One tuned in this carb

The 24 PWK (that which the OKO copies) is the best carb that I have - I think this is because of the quality manufacturing. I've heard that the OKOs can be very nice, and they do make the smallest flatside carb available (21mm). The PWK feels the best, it has a great response with the engine - I should do a test with the Mikuni on this bike.

All three carbs are good and perform well. The PWK is a very nice carb and it would be interesting to see how it performs on the Monza. I may give this a try at some point, though only out of curiosity as the Mikuni workes very well on the Gila kited Monza.

The post above about intakes is very true - it was difficult to get the proper intake for the Gila and the Mikuni. Treats had something that wasn't the right angle. I had to get a 45 degree coolant tube at the auto parts store. For the Del 77 had a Malossi intake that worked perfect. With the PWK I had to again get a special intake.

For the other side of the carb - the airbox/airfilter. For the moped I used the Uni foam filter. On the GPRs I was able to Mcgyver the stock air boxes.

Lots of words and no definitive answer. :P

_Rob_

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

oko blows. Its all about mikuni, or maybe a Keihin. Sure the OKO is a copy, but like any clone, they never perform quite as well

To be clear, an OKO is a copy of a Keihin not a Mikuni. I never got my OKO tuned well, but that was due to other things not the carb. I like gimicks, so the clear float bowl and power jet is pretty neat. It's not a true flat slide either, D shaped. Not sure if that makes much of a difference though...

Catalina srambler /

A friend of mine put OKO 24mm on pretty tweaked metra 80 and he said initial snap off the line was slightly better...but he could not get it to stop draining the float bowl dry so he got a 24 mikuni and problem solved...tank was vented properly super flow fuel valve ...it was on a magnum too so it had good gravity...but it is a copy of a kiehnin and could have been a defect...he junked it before I could look at it, so I got two 21 OKO's and took one apart and the fuel supply inlet seemed way restrictive compared to the real keihin carbs I have...but Im gonna fix that (total hassle) but I wanna know ...I will post when know more info...21 del orto "black" is hard to beat even on the big kits velocity is way better (carb signal) better for hill climbing/take off...good luck ...hope this helps

Power jet is better. Theoretically anyway. Schmoova.

Catalina srambler /

The ones I got are power jets ...Im still gonna make it flow more into the float bowl but that other 24 oko that drained the float bowl was not....hmm thanx for the info p.s, making a mikuni 24mm into a power jet works good too my go kart friend runs those...but I use a different method for extra high rpm fuel supply.

rock finally shredding pow /

my oko leaked everywhere, and the clear float bowl melted, and i lost my jets so i never got it tuned right. but man, all that didnt matter at 60+. my favorite moped carb is still phbg. but i havent tried a tm series before. also being able to call a moto shop down the street for jets is sooooooooo nice.

i have a kehin 24 pwk which apparently doesn't exist, I have never been able to find another. there is definitely a difference between that and the oko. the kehin is more responsive and was easier to tune. I have had some okos that worked almost as good and some that didn't there are some inconsistencies in okos and that is why some like them and some don't.

I think those 24's where on a request basis only they are RARE...but the 26mm I think are available ...could that 24mm be a bored 22mm ...I know a guy that would know.... too late to call him...keihin (i know i spelled it wrong) are the best...I got a 28mm that im gonna put on a single carb triumph bonneville just to piss off all the "characters" ...custom tigged offset manifold ...mock up looks mean!

I know Metrakit contracted with Keihin to make a 24 pwk for their products. That's what I've got, it's called an MRDII. I don't think it has the power jet though. The slide is chromed and moves extremely smooth.

Not much info on their website though:

"Keihin":http://www.keihin-corp.co.jp/english/products/race/index.shtml

a little bit of google action and I found a scooter shop with the PWK for $160, and it comes with a bunch of jets, a scooter manifold, choke adaptor, etc.

"PWK":http://www.scooterworks.com/Carb-Kit-24mm-PWK-Stella-P10441.aspx

They say that it can't be used for oil injection. There are places on the carb that can be drilled out and nipples inserted that work. I had to do this for my derbi. It needed two - one for the vacuum petcock and one for oil injection.

Turns out that carb is from ScootRs and is really an OKO. :P

_Rob_

What would be the proper carb size for a street ped with a kit and exhaust?

And can i go pull a Mikuni vm from an old bike? what should I look for because i know a few yards around where i live with tons of bikes

I'm diggin this thread out of the ground for the sake of my latest build. I want to bring the debate back since I'm considering putting an OKO on it. I want some testimonials from people that have had both.

-Aron

I found it much easier to tune a Mikuni and the quality of the carb was better.

When I opened up my OKO when I FIRST got it, mind you no gas ever was run through it ... I went to unscrew the main jet and it snapped in half. That should give you some sort of idea.

Salsa Salsa /

ive done tow builds with 28mm okos, and i LOVE THEM. they are easy to tune for me, and i have had NO problems with them at all!

Scooter dudes love Oko`s

This is what I'm talking about.. There seems to be a back and forth on the quality of these clones. I am thinking that you (

Ryan) just maybe got one bad one.

-Aron

Just to add to the conversation, I have a Motoritec PWK clone that feels like it might be nicer quality than the OKOs. paid about $15 bucks more for it. I've disassembled and reassembled it more than a few times and haven't stripped anything.

D slide is the superior slide design. I also had no idea the pwk came under 28mm that is so sweet! Ive never reaaally had a problem with my 24oko round slide but it does seem a little jankie. The d slide i just bought looks better but havent run it yet. Two of my friends have ran into a lot of trouble tuning the <24 sized okos but who knows what thats about. All i know is POWERJET

I've seen a 19mm PWK with a powerjet. I'm debating whether or not to buy it, not sure if it would have an advantage over the 21 without powerjet. (edited)

^get it! the keihin website itself under pwk series only offers up 28/29/33/35/36/38/39. So i have no idea where you people are finding those sweet ass little ones.

the small ones are all clones. some are nicer than others.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account