Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!! Safer foot pegs?!!!

Andrew Squiggman /

when you lean into a turn, you push down on the outside pedal so the inboard pedal rises, like you do on anything with pedals

Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!!

close but not quite a chappy. I am suprised at how heavy duty the bike feels other than maybe the front forks. Definetly fun to cruise the streets.

hobby motobecane.jpg

I just a got a Yamaha Chappy yesterday. I am not quite sure of the model, I believe it is the LB50 though. I am also not sure which year it is. I posted a picture of it on my profile page.

I have found the service repair manual on this web site, but I was wondering if anybody has the owners manual also?

I would welcome any advice, or information anyone might have.

Thanks in advance!

- Jamie

Andrew Squiggman /

badge on the neck should tell you mfg date and model

Unfortunately, the wiring harness for the lights wore down the lable, and all that I could see was the vehicle identification number, but not the year.

It is a LB50, as far as i can tell, because the engine says 49cc.

Jeroen Decker /

You can call Yamaha with the vin and they will be able to tell you the model, year, color code etc. Here is the number: 800-962-7926.

Thanks. I suspect it is a 1979. I sent Yamaha a private message on Facebook, and they told me that the color of the Chappy actually helps determine the year. From reverse image searches, I found others just like it, that were 1979 Models.

It will take me quite a while to get it up and running ( I hope I can do it ), as I am disabled, and can't afford to pay someone to do it for me. So I am winging it.

Did just a owners manual exist? I did get the repair or service manual.

anyone have any ideas for a headlight for a chappy? have the yellow bowl that the sealed headlight sits in but no headlamp. was looking to maybe go to a LED headlight, not to sure if its possible given the chappy has a 6 volt system.

Willie Baar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> anyone have any ideas for a headlight for a

> chappy? have the yellow bowl that the sealed

> headlight sits in but no headlamp. was looking to

> maybe go to a LED headlight, not to sure if its

> possible given the chappy has a 6 volt system.

I just modified the old sealed beam light and to use replaceable 6v headlights. It has low and high beam too!

Hello All,

I am looking for a manual for LB50/LB80 yamaha chappy manual.

hope someone can helped me.

thank you very much.

Ramyr

Andrew Squiggman /

Looking to do an engine swap. (LB50)

Robert Schmitt /

I've spent a lot of money trying to get this thing to keep up with traffic, and think that I should have found a dirt bike motor to fit in the first place.

I'm thinking of buying a pw80 since it's the only yamaha I can find that appears to have a similar engine layout. I don't see anything bigger out there that has a horizontal cylinder. I'd prefer a real 4 or 5 speed gearbox, but the 3 speed clutchless manual is better than what the chappy has got.

if anyone has done any motor swap on one of these let me know. Although I'd like to keep it in the yamaha family I'd be open to whatever.

The current bike is a 78 LB50 with pedals. It went 22mph when I got it. After a bigger carb, 70cc polini kit, and smaller rear sprocket it will do 40 on level ground. The problem is cars sometimes drive around me at a stop light and then I'm stuck behind them.

I can find a complete running pw80 for less than it would cost for a cdi and reed upgrade on the current motor, which is about the only thing else I can do at this point.

Re: Looking to do an engine swap. (LB50)

chris osbourne /

hi rob not sure if you have made further progress with your engine swap but i have recently fitted a chinese copy pw80 nengine into an lb80 chappy the engine fitted in perfect with a few mods

the to engine mount to fit into bracket was offset slightly so had to space one side where bolt goes through engine exhaust pipe had to be modified to fit into original muffler now the fiddly part as the pw80 intake manifold is of to one side i then had to get the intake snouted modified so it was central on engine compare original manifold to pw80 one you will see what i mean then as the original carby wont fit properly i then purchased an intake manifold from a chinese pit bike to bring the carby out further to front of bike and had that welded onto the intake snout , originally i fitted a carby off of a motorized push bike as it was the only 19mm mount type i could find at the time but it was useless so i then found another type on ebay which was far better and made the bike fly to say it was an easy job is an understatement it was more finding parts to make it come together easily which we are just about there if you want any pictures of this mod let me know i can send you some you will be more than impressed hope this info helps

Re: Looking to do an engine swap. (LB50)

Robert Schmitt /

I actually decided to go with a 2009 yamaha ttr 110 motor. I should have bought the whole bike since piecing everything together has been a PITA. The motor fits perfectly apart from having to make new tabs for the front bolt. I had the same problems with the intake. I turned the ttr intake 180 deg, cut out the center section and tig welded the ends back together so now the carb faces backward.

I ran it around the block a few times this weekend, but I have a few problems remaining. The main problem is that I bought a vm24 on ebay, and it's super rich so I need the proper jet sizes for that. Next problem is that I built a stainless glass pack and it's probably too loud. 3rd problem is that I burned out the headlight and I don't think an equivalent 12v light exist. I will probably build a new headlight can for a BMW E30 5.5" sealed beam high beam. Last problem is that I built a supercap battery and now I need better voltage regulation to make sure the charging stays under 16V. I was planning on posting a youtube video on the swap eventually.

Hi Guys, new here. I've had my 1977 LB80 since I was a kid and I'm starting to restore it.

Guys that have restored these, did you replace chrome parts or have them re-chromed?

Sounds like replacing the exhaust is a must to get any speed out of these but I really wanted to keep the original exhaust look. Is there anything I can do to the original one to get more performance out of it?

Anyone have a favorite place for parts they can recommend?

Thanks!

About to get a chap.

Will eventually put the Polini 70cc and VM20 on it.

What gearing ratios are you guys using?

And what's the best hack n weld pipe option? I want low to mid. I have a techno estoril on my tomos and love it. Should I just go with that?

Also reeds, there's a couple options on treats, what's the general consensus on that?

Dirty30 Dillon /

I also just acquired a Chappy.

Polini 45mm/Polini pipe, now I just need to find out how to adjust transmission to actually utilize the power

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I also just acquired a Chappy.

>

> Polini 45mm/Polini pipe, now I just need to find out how to adjust

> transmission to actually utilize the power

Did the pipe come on it or did you order it? If you ordered it, where from?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Logan Snowflake Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I also just acquired a Chappy.

>

> >

>

> > Polini 45mm/Polini pipe, now I just need to find out how to adjust

>

> > transmission to actually utilize the power

>

> Did the pipe come on it or did you order it? If you ordered it, where

> from?

Pipe's a disco'd polini pipe for chappy, but if you reach out to DOS they might just have something purpose built for the bike.

Sick! Thanks bud

Dirty30 Dillon /

Absolutely. I think sometime in the next couple weeks I am going to pull the trans cover and see what can be done about getting springs in there.

It's a continous spring like a Tomos clutch, so hopefully with some work I can make it work. I know that the stock springs are riveted from the diagram, but I will have to see with my own eyes.

Yeah what about clutches? Is there anywhere I can get a set from? Or maybe someone to reline them?

Dirty30 Dillon /

I dont think there's any clutches to be found, but I would imagine they'd need true friction material lining.

Dirty30 Dillon /

My Chappy has the typical Kickstart sag which I will be addressing once the cover is open.

But also I want to try and measure the springs that are in the clutches. IF there are pretty close to Tomos I will try and get the rivets out of the clutch in order to put new springs in. Hopefully this will make the bike more responsive off the line, where I need it most in NYC.

I'm attaching a few snips from the manual for reference.

chappy1.JPG
chappy2.JPG

Did you buy the manual or do you have a free link?

Robert Schmitt /

I may have an lb50 engine with a Polini kit in a box to sell. I ended up doing a TTR110 swap.

I'll pm you

Best value reed block on treats?

-Vforce 8 petal ($150)

-TOP 8 petal ($121)

-Stage 6 VForce ($99)

The reviews on each seem to sing the praises of them respectively. Do I really need to spend $150? or will the others be just as fine? It will be teamed up with the Polini 70 kit, VM20 and MLM intake, and MLM People's Pipe.

Also, any gearing and high comp head recommendations? (edited)

shayne zroback /

Picking up a chappy today, its a roller minus engine. What can you guys recommend for an engine, drop in if possible? Looking for 4 cycle with transmission. Im new at this! Open to suggestions. Ill post more info when i pick it up.

Thanks (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account