Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!!

bump

vincent oudou /

keep in mind to turn the axe as if it's in upper position, before placing the spring ! If you don't do this, it cannot go up enough and more, you can stuck a part of the axe on the nearby sprocket (yeah, i'm speaking english like a cow, but i'm trying ^^)

vincent oudou /

george strausbaugh Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> how do you know what year and size chappy you

> have? Buddy at work gave me one, serial# is

> 2u7-000735?

model is 2u7 (so 50cc, between 79 and 82), number 735 : only yamaha dealer can say you the exact year...

^ don't mind this guy.

Chappy's are fun!.. 50cc ones are pretty slow. The 80 does a solid 35 on the flats stock. torque as hell too. there is someone selling an 80 engine on buy sell now. I think he wanted like a hundred or something, but his chappy frame was stolen. get the motor cheap and slap that in there.

lies. shipping from canada to the states is cheaper than shipping domestically. LIAR.

haha. busted by a fellow CDN (edited)

vincent oudou /

Jason Christensen Wrote:

> Greetings,

> I recently snagged up 2 1980 LB50's both are

> running but not great. I keep seeing posts about

> people adding polini kits and performance

> mufflers. I am wondering what kind of performance

> your getting with these mods and what is involved

> to make these upgrades work?

> Ive done as much cleaning and tinkering as I can

> but I can't seem to get these things past 20mph.

>

> I have also seen guys who have upgraded to 110 or

> 125cc lifan engines. How complicated is this

> upgrade and what else is needed to make this mod

> work?

>

> I'm hoping to get these running so I can get a

> season or two out of them then I want to do a

> complete tear down/rebuild/restore/upgrade on

> them. I'm new to the moped world so any help,

> tips, and/or advice would be awesome.

>

> Thanks

here some videos of my tunned chappy's :

type 543 - 1977 > base is a manual gearbox 4 speed + polini 62, delorto phbg cs 19mm + polini pipe, dual valve from a bop 1m8, and unrestrained ninja exhaust. Running thought the hills at first, then at full speed at 4:00 (km/h).

another one with full throttle accelerations

an older one with similar setup on a 2 speed automatic gearbox base, and a smaller 17.5 mm carburetor, standard valve and old sort of ninja exhaust - front tire is a 3.5 so speedo is optimist, in fact it's running just at 80-85 km/h at full speed.

The manual gearbox don't go a lot faster, but have insane acceleration near to the automatic one. You can also mount a bobby/champ/bop semi-auto 3-speed engine with very good results.

All this setup doesn't require big mods on the chappy : you need to modify the accelerator cable to fit the phbg, and that's all - the big part is carb jet setup. You can go farther with internal rotor ignition (hpi for yam fs1 fitting well), 21mm or more carb with polini/crankcase fuel mixture transfers alignments.

vincent oudou /

josh troski Wrote:

> Can someone pleas tell me where I can find main

> jets for my 79 lb50 mikuni carb or tell me what

> model my carb might be?

you should have a vm14, main jet are 105 (mikuni standard, if screw diameter are matching)

You can find it at a yamaha dealer - part 127-14143-21

Jeroen Decker /

I should have posted my question here. Any help would be much appreciated.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,3428736

Jeroen

Robert Schmitt /

I bought a lb50pe on friday. I can only get it up to 20. All signs point to the carb being to small. I was going to buy the sha 16 on treatland, but it says the intake should be a 19mm O.D. to fit. I just measured what I assume is the stock intake and it is 21mm O.D and 16.7ish I.D. It has a mikuni something and it all looks like oem stuff.

Do I need to buy an intake to get the 16 sha to fit? What's my cheapest option for a better carb. I don't intend to get a big bore kit for this thing anytime soon.

I'm Robert in Milwaukee.

Jeroen Decker /

I am looking for a part that is missing from a Chappy I just bought. There should be a pin underneath the float that has a spring mechanism inside. I am missing this pin. I am looking for someone who has an old carburetor from which this part can be salvaged. 

Thank you, 

Jeroen

matt Karpinski /

Hey all loved reading these threads. I just picked up a lb50pe yellow 78 chappy for $150. I think its a 78, stamped 5/78 under manufacture I believe. 4400 miles on this girl, she runs pretty good though. Couple of questions for things I'd really like to get done just to clean her up nicely...then maybe go for some better performance. We've got the carb cleaned up nice, she shifts from 1st to 2nd smooth at about 9-10 mph and gets to 20-21. I have a couple of concerns I'd like to take care of just so I can cruise around.

1. Missing the pedals. Are there any pegs that I can bolt on that will work, they sell some on ebay from overseas, will these work with the lb50pe without the pedals on it? It's a pain not having anywhere to put my feet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-CHAPPY-50-80-LB50-LB80-Rear-foot-peg-A-PAIR-/160441292055?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255b0bd517&vxp=mtr

I'll order these today if they'll work.

2. I need tires. Found some tube tires on ebay, but they are pretty aggressive, anyone found more road tire tread online?

3. Bearings for the steering column? I have a lot of play in the steering column, we're pulling it apart shortly, do they sell some replacements to make that tight again?

There is a few other things, lenses, cables and little stuff I wanna get too in time.

So now if I were going to lets say go for some more power. I saw someone said take the baffle out, or drill holes in the exhaust, will that help a little?

Regarding the polini head kit. Is that all i need, will that fit right in? Or if I found a 72cc head from an lb80, can I just use that right onto the my lb50? Or just replacing a carb? Guess I want to know if I want to put on the bigger head is that kit all I need? I don't need to go much more than 35-40. I'm fine with that in the long run.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Robert Schmitt /

I put the polini 70cc kit on mine with a high comp o-ring head from treats and a 16.16 dellorto. I found when pulling the old cylinder that the carbon had clogged the exhaust port almost completely. I didn't clean and reinstall the old cylinder to see if it was faster but I would check it out before buying any parts if I were you. I also cut the exhaust apart, pried out the baffling and welded it back together.

Now I need to change gearing on it. At 35mph it's probably at an rpm it was never intended to go. I have it jetted rich and am trying to not use full throttle for the first 500km but I'm certain it would go 40mph.

Now I keep burning out lights. Probably from the high rpm. I think the stators put out enough voltage that I could convert it to 12v but I just bought a new 6v battery for it.

Difference Between Chappy LB80 Motor vs. LB50 Motor

Jeroen Decker /

Hello,

I have an LB80 with a crankshaft that has its thread pretty much chewed up. I have an LB50 motor and I figured I swap out some of the main parts like the transmission, cylinder, piston, electrical. I am counting on the fact that the engines are pretty much the same except perhaps for those parts.

Does anyone know if there are any major differences between the two engines besides the cylinders, pistons and carbs?

Thank you,

Jeroen

Re: Difference Between Chappy LB80 Motor vs. LB50 Motor

Andrew Squiggman /

not interchangeable I heard.

Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!! [Trade Parts?]

Jeroen Decker /

I am looking for the below parts to trade to keep more Chappys on the road. My LB50 parts include frame, tires, inter tube, motor (without cylinder, piston, kick-start shaft), luggage carrier, handlebars, oil / gas tanks, carburetor and more).

Items I Need for an LB80 Restore:

• LB80 Kick Start Lever

• Left and Right Mirrors

• Passenger Pegs

• Front Light Assembly (Bucket & Chrome Rim)

• Blinker Lens

• 2 Seat Cover

Best,

Jeroen

So, this was what my chappy looked like when I got it. Three boxes of random parts.

This is what my Chappy looked like when I first got it in three boxes full of random parts.

photo (14).JPG

This is what is looks like a few years later after having to make parts to fit it that were not available and a few modifications. I'm pretty proud of it being the first bike I've ever built and half of the parts were missing.

photo 1 (3).JPG
photo 2 (2).JPG
photo 3 (2).JPG

Alison Brown /

Excellent work. Love the colour too. Well done you!

Figured out the saggy kickstarter problem: there is a fixed catch at the back end of the kick start shaft that, while the spring has some preload, mates against a fixed notch of the engine case. This can be done w/o completely removing the shaft. You'll notice that there is some wiggle room of the shaft with the outside case removed, but the transfer gear in place.

Hopefully my gibberish helps. I had to figure this out on my own, but I had a spare shaft and I noticed the fixed catch on the back end...and put 2 and 2 together.

Nice work! Time to ride!

my chappy has this problem too...whats causing this? thanks

hi guys, my lb50 chappy keeps on jerking on hi speed, can anybody here can tell me whats the problem ? thanks

The drive / neutral / low lever pushes a pushrod to switch gears. The lever gets pushed out and the pushrod doesn't get pushed in far enough!! Take the sidecover off & bend it back! The jerking is that it is slipping out of gear

Thanks Paul. Ive done what you said. Niw my chappy runs smooth again.

hi guys. i have a question, would a LB80 block would fit a LB50 crankcase? im planning to modify my LB50 to 80cc. thanks Have a safe ride you all...

The lb80 & lb50 bottom ends are the same. If you have an lb80 top end it will work on your lb50 engine. The USA versions of the Chappy the lb50 has a 10mm carb & a restricted exhaust. The lb80 has a 16mm carb & a better muffler.

Okay. Thanks Paul for the info.

Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!! Safer foot pegs?!!!

Robert Schmitt /

My pedals hit the pavement when I'm corner carving. What does everyone do other than remove everything and let their feet dangle. Is there a part from the 80 that works. I can weld, but I want to do it now since I'm thinking of getting the frame powdercoated yet this winter. I nearly killed myself a couple time this summer on a winding road down to the beach because of this.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account