Re: Chappy Recommended Transmission fluid

points on ebay

both hpi and malossi make a cdi for chappy.

do you need the numbers?

HPI AM6 cdi kit with lights coil

or 001HPI HPI ignition

or 55-11181 Malossi ignition

i just got a yamaha chappy. this lb50 has a 3-gear manual transmission and automatic clutch. although it is in running condition, i would like to make some modifications.

i have read on several websites that they have successfully installed a 110cc - 140cc lifan engine on a chappy. anybody here who has done this? or any ideas on how this can be done? thanks!

I have a weird Japanese version of the Chappy. Its called a malic and loooks just like the chappy but instead of chain drive it is shaft driven. Wish I could find just the motor for a project because it looks like you could make these things pretty darn fast. Mine is all stock but I upgraded the carb to a dellorto 16 because the old carb was shit. Runs much faster now probably in the upper 30s low forties with the new carb

Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!!

Can anybody help me out with some needed parts?

I need the main transmission shaft with gears, kick start shaft, oil pump

This is for a 79 LB 50 Chappy.

Fire me an email!

heres a pic of me a few years ago.

1295712012_super_chappy.jpg

I'm glad to see a chappy site. I'm on Chappy #4. Totalled 2 by gettin hit by cars, but damnit i'm still on the chap chap!

also... GOT PARTS!!!

1299044066_chappy2.jpg

the yamaha malic you were talking about dusty is a a yamaha champ. mj-50 engine with no right side attachment point for a right side swing arm. aside from that it's uses an identical engine as a mj-50, the same kind of bike as pictured above ridden by the rebel without a cause.

Cool! A chappy thread. needs a bump though...

I'm working on two of these things. Don't know the years of MFG, but one has pedals and one is more of the "scooter" type with just foot-pegs.

Unfortunately, the pedal drive doesn't function correctly. I'm not sure how the whole thing is supposed to go together.

The pedal shaft system itself is complete, but the front sprocket just sort of dangles there like an over-sized washer. Also, whatever sort of roller/tensioner that mounts to the mid-section of the swingarm was removed. All that's left is the mount and I have no idea what goes there.

I did however figure out there is a pedal mode and a "riding" mode where you can shift both pedals forward at the same time. That part functions and makes it more comfortable than any other moped I've ever ridden. I'd just like to be able to pop-start the thing using the pedals in case the kickstart messes up; something that I read a lot about.

Anyone got any pics?

^^^ Addition to above post, sucks no "edit" button here ^^^

Also, why does the intake have two injection ports? Did Yamaha really build the thing to be able to accept NOS with the stock intake? If so, then LMAO!

One port is for oil, the other is vacuum for the fuel tap.

To the guy who asked about putting on a CDI... I've spent all morning researching this, and came to two conclusions:

1: The Malossi version is pretty much impossible to find on an English written website, and even the foreign ones seem a little expensive and sketchy.

2: Apparently treatland.tv carries the HPI one with the internal rotor. You can get it with lights or without: http://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=rd50+hpi

According to the HPI website, their RD50 (derbi) ignition will also fit an LB50: http://www.hpi.be/applistlist.php?writeimg=068K076&select=STK

Product pics look identical (hole patterns, etc). I wrote treats about it to confirm and I'm waiting for a response.

So if you're sick of points, or your ignition is just dead and buying a used one seems to be a waste of $$, apparently there is hope.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Its not going to work, the one that works for Chappy (LB50) also works on a yamaha RD50, a small motorcycle. Chappy cranks are huge (the diameter), and unlike all other moped crankshafts. I bet if you are nice you can get Treats to order you one though. It would be sweet to have crazy RPM-age on a chappy.

^^ Yeah, you're right ^^

Benji told me the same thing. I didn't know there was a Yamaha RD50. But he did say that he would be ordering some of them (Chappy version) within the next few days.

He also mentioned something about getting a new pipe in stock for the Chappy. Not sure if he's talking about the Giannelli, but he referred to it as "super cheap" (as in price) and "not actually a chappy pipe but it screws right onto the polini chappy cylinder".

Right now I'm trying to come up with some sort of LED lighting system in my head. I heard those HPI light coils only output something like 5-10 watts...? lol It's like my motorized bicycle kit all over again.

if it'll screw on to a polini chappy cylinder does that mean it'll screw onto a stock cylinder?

Alfred G /

Hello to my fellow Chappy owners. I have a question for you all. Where can i source a sealed beam headlight that will fit the standard chappy headlight bucket? Any help will be appreciated as always..... Thanks.

Curtis Riendeau /

Ok so my chappy is slow is there anyway to modify the exaust to still be quiet but not govern the speed thanks. I can't go above 5mph uphill. and 23 on flat ground.

Jason Christensen /

Greetings,

I recently snagged up 2 1980 LB50's both are running but not great. I keep seeing posts about people adding polini kits and performance mufflers. I am wondering what kind of performance your getting with these mods and what is involved to make these upgrades work?

Ive done as much cleaning and tinkering as I can but I can't seem to get these things past 20mph.

I have also seen guys who have upgraded to 110 or 125cc lifan engines. How complicated is this upgrade and what else is needed to make this mod work?

I'm hoping to get these running so I can get a season or two out of them then I want to do a complete tear down/rebuild/restore/upgrade on them. I'm new to the moped world so any help, tips, and/or advice would be awesome.

Thanks

Hey O chappy dudez, I got a 78' LB50 a little wile back and the piston is all sorts of messed up. I have found a couple of different ones on ebay, but which one is for the stock 78' LB50 motor?? And what is with the five different types?? (0.0, 0.25, .05, 0.75, 1.0)

Also... anyone want to sell me one? Rings and all?

Alfred G /

I have a brand new standard piston with the gudgeon pin but without piston rings. I'll sell it to you for $70 if you're interested.

12mm wrist pinned yamaha/minarelli horizontal pistons work and don't cost $70. That's ridiculous.

1) Bob, I can ebay one for $30...

2) Ryan, a Minarelli horizontal piston will work in a LB50? I have one of those floating around...

yeah It'll work i believe. I got both around here. The thing is most minarelli horizontals come with a 10mm pin but some clones and nice aftermarket rods are 12mm for higher rpm. So you need one with a 12mm pin hole. I got a minarelli vertical piston sitting in front of me, also 12mm.

Awesome, thanks Ryan!

Can someone pleas tell me where I can find main jets for my 79 lb50 mikuni carb or tell me what model my carb might be?

Re: The Official Yamaha Chappy (LB50) Thread!!! exhaust option!!!

here is a pic of what i did, i saw that all the exhaust were pretty pricey especially since they want you to lose the pedals, and i personally like the pedals. so what i did was i bought a nice estoril tecno exhaust that was on treatland on sale for 100 bucks and cut it and welded it to the existing header, and i could not be happier, i instantly noticed an increase in acceleration and top speed went from 23mph all the way up to 29-30 on flats. havent even up jetted or anything else but the exhaust yet. i will be doing a bigger carb and intake and tires for the summer, and i just repainted all the fenders and center cover

This is the first bike I've ever built/owned I bought it for $75 in pieces (a lot missing) and have been slowly making something out of them for the past few months. So, i'm curious what you veteran bike builders think of my progress.

LB50 progress 2.JPG
LB50 progress 1.jpg

Hey Chappy folks!

Bought my LB50 in a heap from the back of a florist here in NJ, which had weeds growing out of it at the time. I'm almost finished restoring it. Completely rebuilt the pedal system, and had a hard time finding a new headlight, a replacement kicker lever....but I found them.

My issue is with the kickstart return spring....it doesn't spring back. I have replaced the spring with a new one, to no avail. Any thoughts???

Additionally, has anyone tried to modify the stock exhaust to keep the "Chappy" badge muffler, as I wanted to quiet the bike down(running 21mm PHBG Dellorto, Polini 70cc kit, 19mm intake, 4 reed valve block, K&N air filter). I wanted to keep it since this is one of the things that makes this bike special.

James

2011-05-21_14-20-27_878.jpg

george strausbaugh /

how do you know what year and size chappy you have? Buddy at work gave me one, serial# is 2u7-000735?

Mine don't kick back either. I did modify the look of my muffler.

LB50 progress 2.JPG

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account