Re: Garelli CDI box alternative

I have 277

ok, well I'm reading .292 from my Yellow (or Green) coil. And 1.5-1.7 from my CEV ht coil when testing the prong on the coil and the end of the plug wire.

Either of these sound off base?

Everythings grounded and Strator just got filed and advanced all the way possible.

When I hook the yellow coil (or even just the og Ignition coil) up directly to the HT coil, still no spark.

I've literally tried every connection I could think of...

I might need to call on some of the renown seattle peeps to help me here... I think I'm gonna stop by moped monday even if I'm not riding~ But man I really want to be!!!

Sorry for the hi-jack

pete, it states ...

Connect the BLUE wire from the Green coil to the RED wire from Treat's Box.

Connect the GREY wire from the Green coil to the WHITE wire from Treat's Box.

Connect the BLACK wire from Treat's Box to the KILL switch.

Connect the BLACK/WHITE wire from Treat's Box to the GROUND.

Enjoy sweet RPMs from one cheap, easy to source box. No extra coil needed.

That is for the mi aka hirpm combo.

bump.

Does either the box or the box/coil combo have an ignition curve? I have both, but I haven't seen anything mentioning it, so I'm assuming not? Haven't done my electrical yet or else I'd just shoot it with a light and find out for myself. (edited)

I personally hate those coil/box combos and havent had alotta luck with em.

you can wire about any CDI up tho,

lots of info here http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Performance_racing_CDI

and here: http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Hobbit_CDI_Wiring

You just gotta wire up the timing pulse, power in, power out and ground and a kill if you want it, that's all any cdi is. then time it and go.

also those cheap CDI's i've had to repair alot of, but after you weed out the busted parts they work good.

there's a fail & repair section here with good info too

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_CDI

green coil/e50hirev CDI stopped giving me spark on the ssxl after about 25 miles- threw a regular HT coil and a 2013 box on her and she works like a charm.

Maybe I was unlucky but i think these $15 coil/box combos are garbage

sir thaddeusforemen /

damn, now im debating on if i should keep points or not. a lot of mixed emotions. . .the pietcard 2013 & high rpm box is all i really need to get my garelli going. . .

^ i dropped my cheapo combi cdi box.. never worked again. so don't drop them for sure.

I never had any problems with good old points. Garellis don't rev crazy high anyway so i dont feel like there is any advantage with a cdi. I guess if it retarded the timing at the upper rpms it would be good to keep the temps down and keep the low end power as high as possible. But a properly timed and tuned garelli with points will blast all day long with no hiccups and reasonable temps

Brian Foster /

Anybody have a green coil?

Without the pietcard box this wont retard correct?

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

This thread contains valuable information for being a cheap ass and having a CDI at the same time so i am bumping it to put it back into the mix. I also actually just added the information to the wiki instead of some busted fucking link to a long gone thread from another era on a dead domain.

Either way, maybe i got a unicorn box and coil, but i have put ~1200 miles on this (green coil, e50 "hi rpm") setup with no issues other than getting a bad connection at my terminal one time because my case pisses trans fluid everywhere from ripping far too many dicks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account