how do you install dual stage reeds?

the instructions are ass.

Got any pica of reeds installed?

or better instructions?do I need longer bolts?

Tomis reed block boyensen reeds

iPod touch sucks for typing

Re: how do you install dual stage reeds?

boyesens? remove old reeds, put them in the order as described. use loctite on the screws so they don't flap off. not too bad

from treats:

just when you thought you almost had all the pieces of the puzzle - boyesen dual stage reeds for peugeot 103, puch polini 64cc, and tomos reed bikes. These reeds have two layers - one stiffer than the other, so they are able to function as both low end reeds and, gasp, hi end reeds too. What you get, in short, is "the best power increase for your money" according to boyesen. I find it particularly telling that boyesen, the worlds premier reed company, refers to themselves as "the gatekeepers of power", I name I would love to have for myself in my dream world. These reeds offer an immediate noticable increase in power on peugeot 103, tomos, and puch bikes with the polini kit. You will need one set for these set ups. If you are on a puch polini or a peugeot 103 with a 4 petal malossi reed set up you need two sets. You also have to lightly dremel or file down the aluminum cage block for the reeds screws to fit since the boyesen reeds are a lil thicker total than the stock ones. I've tested these on the malossi 4 petal, but not yet the polini one or the other generic brands. prepare for even more low end and mid range, yikes. well worth it.

to assemble the reeds, you ditch everything but the original screws and use all the pieces shown below except one of the reed stops (they have different bolt patterns so only one will work). It is not necessary to use the og reed stops. The thickest reed with square windows goes on the bottom, then the reed with rounded windows, then the reed flap then the reed stop, then pop in the screws. If the reeds don't lie perfectly flat try flipping them over until you get everything perfect o.

thick stiff reed = 0.7mm - other two are 0.3mm

but do they blast?

absolutely

Is it really a big deal if i didn't use any loctite?, I know it will be a big deal if they unscrew, but will it happen?

if you've ridden for a while, you're probably fine. but if you ever go back in there, you might as well.

can i get a picture, hello!?

i c a n t s e e .

the screws are too small for all them shits,plus the screws,screw into that metal guide apparatus, if i am not using that,what am i using? small nuts?

send me a picture

sorry, don't have pics...haven't gone in there since i put 'em on.

if this is for something other than the 4 petal malossi intake, it might be different. for mine, the treats instructions were sufficient

buy some and ... the pug.. will make up even some more.

i got some boy's in the mail. and some more jets.

gonna rippp!

bumps

The screws don't screw into the reed stop, they screw into the block. You're only going to use two of the three reed pieces, the reed flaps and one of the reed windows, and you're going to use one of the little metal bars in place of the OEM reed stop. Do you really need a diagram? reed block -> reed windows -> reed flaps -> metal bar -> screws

Sorry no pics, but maybe this will help.

The nobs wouldn't come out of mine to release the reeds.

I had to drill the tops off (to get the reeds off).

I then cut off the remainder of the stems and drilled holes (the exact same size) where the place holders used to be.

I then tapped those holes for the same size I drilled (forgot exact size now).

I bought the smallest bolt to screw in the new holes (but they were too long).

So i cut them to be flush on the inside of the reedcase when installed.

I then retapped the edge of the bolt so it would thread correctly.

I then installed the reeds using red locktite.

Never had a problem.

I had to do slight dremeling on the inside of the reedcase to make it fit.

never had a problem and blast hard.

OK, so maybe I don't understand how these things work because when using the stock Peugeot 103 reedblock (the one with the 2 air holes) the 2 stage reeds look like they will do nothing! The one with the largest windows don't overlap the air passages in the reedblock which says to me they nothing for controlling/ blocking air flow through the reedblock. They also don't fit in the intake on the motor's bottom end and either need to be filed down, or the intake needs needs to be modified liberally to accommodate them (if they were to ever flex which its doubtful they will do to their non overlap as mentioned above). Does this mean that they are not necessary?

The second windowed reed only seems to cover approx. 5% of the area of the center of each hole in the reedblock. Is that even enough to warrant them being in there? At the same thickness as the smallest primary reeds, are the secondaries going to work against me by not covering enough of the 'hole' area to gain enough suction to bent the rest of it???

I feel like I should be using a single window style reed block instead if the stock 2-hole version, but I don't have anything like that. Does anyone have any thoughts or pics of there success/horror stories? I'm sure some of you have been in this spot....did I just waste $26+shipping at Treats!?

Probably Fred /

I run a single set on a polini with a 15mm bing. Very easy to install. Barely hand tight the screws and use blue lock tight. Boysen has a tech phone number you can call for more info. I tell you you will gain like 1 hp over a stock single reed but that is on a polini. I don't know about Tomas

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account