Re: Indian Moped Performance

Grande Deluxe /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Since it is a four stroke, there are a lot of little things in it that you can tinker with yourself and not buy parts. First off, I would shave the head. Shave it a lot. That will add some low end. then go through all of the intake and exhaust parts and widen them and smooth them out so it flows better. From what I hear, they aren't very good with flowing stock. Next I would play around with cam timing. don't go very extreme. If you get too far off, the valves will hit the piston. With cam timing, you are gonna want some valve overlap meaning you want both the intake and exhaust to be open for a certain duration. again, I wouldn't go too extreme with it. some stronger valve springs will allow your engine to rev higher, but since people have been saying the valves are fragile, that may not be necessary... Once you get a nice valve timing setup, do ignition timing. you'll want to advance that a bit, It will help with top end. Thats all I can think of at the moment for basic engine internal mods, other than lightening parts. you can take material off of the piston skirt on 4 strokes because it is not used as valve gates. of course, if you take off material on the piston you will have to balance it. taking off rotating mass is good for low end and will help with acceleration, however it may cause the engine to stall more easily and takes away from crank inertia at higher rpm. Outside of the engine, I would put on a huge ass exhaust. Since it's a four stroke, you don't need to worry about back pressure so much. You just need a bit of back pressure so that your valve seats don't get damaged. I would just go for a reasonable diameter pipe with a silencer at the end. That should produce enough back pressure and will allow gasses to evacuate quickly. experiment with lengths of pipe before the silencer to adjust power band. as for air filter, I would remove the stock one and just make a pantyhose filter clamped to the carb. simple enough. make sure your wheel bearings are lubricated and you should have some reasonable speed. I love two strokes, but there's something about the complexity of 4 strokes that is just so cool in my opinion.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Indian Moped PerformanceTopic by: bill bill 02/19/10 09:46PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Bill_O_MAtic Bill_O_MAtic 02/19/10 10:14PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: bill bill 02/19/10 10:41PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: zeke zeke 02/19/10 10:41PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Bill_O_MAtic Bill_O_MAtic 02/19/10 11:12PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: zeke zeke 02/19/10 11:51PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: the worst terry the worst terry 02/20/10 12:46AM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Jesse Stephenson Jesse Stephenson 02/20/10 01:33AM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Jesse Stephenson Jesse Stephenson 02/20/10 02:43PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Jesse Stephenson Jesse Stephenson 02/20/10 08:04PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: revvin' kevin revvin' kevin 02/20/10 10:24PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: zeke zeke 02/20/10 11:14PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Nash . Nash . 02/21/10 05:20AM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Nash . Nash . 02/21/10 05:22AM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Bill Bill 02/25/10 12:30AM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Grande Deluxe Grande Deluxe 03/03/10 09:07PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Grande Deluxe Grande Deluxe 03/06/10 06:07PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Born to be WillD Born to be WillD 06/16/10 02:59PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Not Tate Not Tate 03/06/10 07:32PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Grande Deluxe Grande Deluxe 03/07/10 08:50AM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Todd Todd 03/06/10 09:04PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Chris R Chris R 03/06/10 09:33PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: Robert Rosselit Robert Rosselit 03/07/10 09:50AM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: aaron aaron 06/16/10 03:24PM
  Re: Indian Moped PerformanceRe: boobby boobby 06/19/10 01:41AM