Re: rmz cdi peugeot

i'm still confused as to how this thing triggers... no magnet in flywheel aside from the 4 symmetric ones used to drive it.

unless it has some sort of internal circuitry, what is going on inside that epoxy?

when you hook it up to the '5 pin' or whatever, what wires go where?

for the '5 pin' to work there should be an excitation +, a ground, and a trigger pulse, at the very least.

I would ask dan to give you one so you can cut apart.

Here is the 5 pin control boc. I search google "5 pin cdi box"

I bet the mbk stuff might work.

I am using the BIG box ... doesn't advance or retard.

Acts just about like points.. but what I have my earplugs in and the use some ducktape to make the throttle wot for more then 20 minutes on the stand watching the box.. it make of move ... .040's.. maybe

1288888628_untitled.jpg

ok, so all i want to know is, when you hook the 'carmel coil' up to your five pin, you have a blue wire and a grey wire, right? which one goes to which pin to make it work? should be that one is 'ac voltage' and one is 'trigger'

also, if any of these fry or are DOA, i would love to cut one in half and see whats going on. it just doesn't make sense in my brain.

Graham i used this.

Only reason I even this out cause I did a lifan 110cc for my son and we got rid of the battery same igntion as them ..

seems like about of stuff has the 5 pin but that make ac and dc cdi boxs .

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/233975/199813/

blue - trigger

grey - + AC

or

grey- trigger

blue - +AC

how many of these things do you have access to? are they NOS or out of production or will you have them for awhile.

i'd love to buy one and experiment but all my cash is going into new moped factory products.

Naz, buddy

can you answer gram questions in details I am a new at this whole electric ignition process.

Bump for thee unknown that needs to know.

timing slipped on me.. a couple .1 mm's rechecking now.

or the big blue box is dead went I hit the higer rpms of the powerband.

The answer is the 5 pin cdi box will not work with setup that doesn't have a separate trigger mechanism. The spark is either a voltage threshold triggered circuit or a circuit that fires when there is a pole reversal on the rotor or flywheel.

-naz

naz,

I should of .. looked into it more..

seems .. the petcock.. (black rubber gasket inside the has block the holes and was restricting the fuel flow) I knew somthing wasn't right.

Cdi is aok!.. I hook my new cdi with advance :) wow what a curve I need to do more testing tho. I know advancement isn't good on the top end so.. I need see how far it goes.

It pulls do hard and the.. exhaust is deeper notice as soon as I fire it up.

ah, back to this, all i was asking is if the 'replacement coil' unit is using a trigger. obviously it is or the 5 pin would not work.

i'm really just trying to find a 'threshold triggered' CDI or TCI unit that will work with the 5 coil (early A55- non triggered) magneto i want to run on a project.

it sounds like chad burke has some boxes i can try, just waiting on finishing up a couple MF projects to have some expendable cash.

I have some circuits you can try and build if you want me to post the schematics. Let me know...

I found this a while back when reseearching.

1294007699_udi.jpg

Here is the layout?

1294007749_ciggf10.jpg

the construction of it.

1294007801_gf765.jpg

Well I check the timing before I remove the magneto it was at 1.2btdc, reset time to 1.4 check it with a light I have in right in the V .. my paint marker dot is what I mean.

Here was my problem. I thought it was a sparking problem turned out to be a fuel problem. You can see the rubber grommet inside the petcock has turn and was blocking my fuel flow. Glad it did take out my kit.

1294017774_picture_097_small.jpg

naz,

thats interesting, if i was going to take the time to build one, i've already found a patent that expired a couple years ago for a microcontroller-derived TCI (basicially using an SCR to replace the points functionality) allowing for smaller charging coils- ideally using stock equipment.

the patent didn't have component specs though, so if you have something like that i'd like to see it. i think the 'triggered' options already on the market are pretty hard to beat once you factor in development time.

http://www.sportdevices.com/ignition/ignition.htm

Both cdi and tci along with the code.

-naz

Lone Wrencher /

I'm wiring one of these cdis up now and i am wondering why the kill switch wire goes back to the cdi. Is this correct? What should i do with this wire? I have two extra honda- style cdi boxes (5 pin) but i cant get spark with any of them.

You end up cutting it and wiring in your own kill switch. You can use this diagram to wire it up. I hope it helps you out.

We're about to tackle this. Fingers crossed, and I'm sure we'll post our findings.

Aeron Jackson /

If you can find my past posting. I figured it out. It was one of the wires from the rmz, to the box. You have to cut it. I just can't find my post to help more than that. I think it was th pink one, but I can't remember. I ended up sending it back though because the light coil didn't produce enough and the spark sucked.

Lone Wrencher /

I cut the kill switch wire and hooked it up to a kill switch. The end coming from the cdi box is just loose and not connected to anything.

I got spark. It is not the brightest, but it is something.

ARE YOU ALL USING VOLTAGE REGS WITH YOUR RAMZEYS?

@Aeron The pink is from the ignition coil to the box, the blue is from the pick up sensor. The green/yellow wire between the box and stator is the wire you cut and wire in your kill switch. You ground the other two green/yellow wires though.

Also I've gotten great spark off mine weird.

Lone Wrencher /

Can you describe the exact position of the sensor and pickup when setting the timing? What do you mean "passing?" Completely past, like just past? Thanks. I have weak spark and i'm slightly off time.

this thread is still going..

i tossed mine in the trash the day after i posted this.. garbage cdi for sure

yeah, this rmz doesn't seem all that good same for the mbk cheap cdi, not very good.

Yes, I'm the guy who's bumping this thread. Don't hate me plzzz.

I bought this setup off Mopagen and set it at 1.5mm BTDC. Idle spark is fine, but it breaks up at mid-high RPM and the CDI box makes it look like I'm losing spark. HALP!

(edited)

Probably going to switch back to points/5coil setup and order another CDI box...

Daniel Bezinovich /

I am going to start by apologizing upfront for reviving this epicly long thread, but I just bought one of the RMZ engines off of 1977 mopeds and after reading this whole thread and a few others I am still having trouble with the wiring. Attached is a picture of the stock wiring my peugeot has and one of the new cdi wiring diagrams I have been attempting to follow.

If you could use the attached photos to help visualize, I will explain what the new RMZ cdi wires next to what would be left over with the stock cdi wiring would look like and maybe somebody could help me figure out how to get this bike running.

To start off, there is a black, brown, and red wire from the stock wiring left dangling.

Next, from the new cdi there is a red, green, brown, and green/yellow wire that was cut from the stator/coils that I understand is supposed to be attached to the kill switch.

By following a few of the comments left on the forum I grounded the two other green/yellow wires and also grounded the Black end of the ht coil while connecting the black wire from the new cdi to the green end of the ht coil.

I have attempted to connect red to red, brown to brown, and green to black and a few other variations of connections, but I have still not gotten any sort of spark or response from the bike.

Should I get rid of the rectifier and resistance coil from the stock wiring and hook up the blue wire to the green/yellow? I am considering this as my next move, however I would like to get some insight/advice before getting deeper into this project.

I am fairly new with mopeds, and pretty much completely foreign with wiring situations such as this and was wondering if anybody with knowledge of this subject would be able to help me through this process. Please let me know your thoughts and I would greatly appreciate it!

PeugeotStockWiring.png
CDIInstructions.png
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account