Who knows about pipe bending and modification?

Tate /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Here is the deal.

Earlier this year I got a really nice passel of scooter performance stuff. Variator, reed block/reeds, CDI, cylinder, head, and gears all by malossi. I also got this pretty impressive pipe in the deal.

Its made for the vertical minarelli based scooter engines like the early zuma, jog, and zuma II. I tried really hard to find a Jog, but it didn't happen. These have the exhaust port like in the front of the bike where any sensible engine would have a spark plug. Its like on a garelli VIP or something, you know?

Anyway. pretty much everything else has found a use, but I have been holding onto this pipe for something special.

Now I am going to have a derbi build going on this winter, so I think its going to be used on that.

So here check the pics.

As you can see its a pretty sweet looking pipe. Its got a nice obese chamber and the header has several steps and is nice and wide. The thing is I couldn't hope to fabricate a header anything near to that qual. Its made by Leo Vince, and its really solid feeling and I really think it would work well on a derbi seeing as how both the CW50s and the variants were variated and ran at roughly the same RPMs.

So my question is, would it be possible to bend this bad boy to fit an angled cylinder like a derbi or a tomos or a gilardoni?

I have at least a couple weeks and maybe a couple weeks until its go time when I have to have the pipe ready, so I am looking for advice on what I should do to get this thing to fit.

I have made slight bends in custom pipes when the hack/weld was off a little, but this is like a 90 degree bend.

Doable? Should I give it to my fabrication guy? Should I just try and made a header for it?

What do you guys think?

Also, there is like a 3mm difference in the stroke of a minarelli scooter engine this pipe was built for and the derbi. Is this doing to fuck things up performance wise?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.