The ONLY reason to variate an e-50 is to use a puch kit such as a puch polini kit. the best kit around.
Here is what went into it that makes it so difficult:
e-50 case chopped in half and flipped upside down. A new groove for the snap-ring bearing was machined in the case. engine holder bolted to the case bolts was fabricated from stock metal by welding. ignition: easy. Variator: easy.
The beauty of the engine, and the reason it works so well, is that it is made of entirely puch parts, sans transmission.
HOWEVER, This was a very complicated build that was a complete failure the first time. V 1.0 had points ignition, a used kit, and an engine holder that was too weak, and a spring that kept falling off. The bike ran really fast, but the ignition advance was too much and we detonated the piston. and then the engine holder cracked, and we were blowing condensers all day long.
V 2.0 happened about one month later. We completely redesigned the engine holder, making it much sturdier. We completely fabricated a spring mount similar to the doppler performance spring, which took some serious planning. We PURCHASED a hpi ignition, the best decision we have made so far, hahaha. We found another used kit which was in much better condition. Version 2 was a success.
total hours spent on version 2 alone are about 30-40 hours. Version 1 was more like 50 hours. We spent literally day and night trying out different ideas. We made so many different designs, and one after the other, they failed and failed.
So im not saying dont do it, im saying that the only reason for this build was to use a puch polini, or a gilardoni, or your favorite kit. At this point, it is pretty much no longer a puch. infact, the motor will never fit on a puch! HA!
Anyhow, the build is sick and next season we are hoping for it to crush 65mph on the track and get there even faster than it does now.
heres a little secret: 30mm carb.