new jug break in?

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

never had one that was brand ass new before? whats the best method. i like to wot all day, so how do speed up the break in? helps!

Re: new jug break in?

Can o' worms.

Some say be gentle, ride it for hundreds of miles without ever opening it up. Others will say ride it like you stole it as soon as you get the jetting right.

hmmmmm. someone mentioned filling the jug with a fine rubbing compund and kind fucking the jug with the piston on a stick or something to simulate break in type wear? then ride it like you stole it. i just dont want to waste my money on a kit that im gonna sieze or damage cuz i didnt break it in proper. i got no experience in this....

I pack the rings with Lubriplate, and magnalube.

It breaks in nice like a V8.

Yo nerdy.. glad to hear your up and riding again... i can kinda walk with just one crutch now... amazing what PT will do for ya..

as far as break in.. you wanna break in your rings at all RPM's..the first twenty or so miles are your most important.. jut go in a big neighborhood with good side roads and go from a near dead stop to near wot then back off a lil then slow back down to a near stop to wot and back off a lil.. do this for a few then ride kinda steady ( on the throttle off the throttle ( through all the RPM's ) ) for a few then go right back to the near stop to wot again..

Do this with some small rides inbetween and in a gas tank or two you'll be golden...

Be sure to jet a lil rich and run non synthetic 2stroke oil for the first two gas tanks..

hey! yeah, im down to one crutch as well! i can walk without it but not well. now the big issue is the bills.....

non synth? like some castor?

Probably Fred /

Look we all want to blast right away but if you take it easy for 300 mi your kit will thank you by not seizing. It don't take that long just ride everyday and take it easy for 2 weeks. I am 49, counting dirt bikes. go carts. mini bikes, cars, outboards and mopeds I broke in about 60 something engines some new some rebuilt in the past 35 odd years with no major seize ( I had a few soft ones during the jetting process though ) I saw the aftermath of many a kit seized after a few days because no one can wait . There are a few tricks you can do to help with break in. Lightly sand piston on hot spots ( I know where these are from installing the same kits over and over ) or all over it. run high gearing so it don't rev too high, Drill a tiny hole under the 2nd ring( if this is possible) on each side of the exhaust port (helps to cool ) gap rings to spec. chamfer and smooth ports. run 1 jet size larger. start bike warm up start bike warm up ect. this helps harden rings. keep away from blasting up or down hills. running non syn oil during break in will speed the process up sometimes, there are many more. tips but if you do the speed limit and no racing for few weeks you will have your kit for a long time. Also after break in dissemble it clean and inspect it look for hot spots and problems correct and reassemble.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account