Pipe Powerband Width ?

What is the extent of your powerband ? 10 mph ? More less . Please say what pipe ypu got and how it hits , for how long , what speed and rpm . Is a 10 mph range average or is it kind of a short range . My pipe hits hard from 43 mph to 52 mph . Sound normal ?

Re: Pipe Powerband Width ?

my derbi pipe hits from 5mph - 50mph. best powerband ever.

see, that's the problem with saying how many mph it hits for. it doesn't hit for a certain mph , it hits for a certain rpm. the mph that it hits for is a function of that gearing and width of the gearing vs length of the powerband and overall speed.

it's much better to get a tachometer and state how long the pipe hits for in the rpm range.

Sure if you have gears you can be ON PIPE all day long . Mopeds only have a max of two gears by definition . We're talking moped 1 or 2 speed automatic transmissions . That being said , most or you are going to be ON PIPE for a certain duration of time . During that time you will be moving at a set mph . Thats kind of what I'm getting at .

How wide is the average mopedders power band ?

What IS wide ? 10 mph ? 20 mph ? 30mph ?

I dought many of you are ON PIPE for more then 10 or 15 mph . Am I wrong ? What yall got ?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Powerband is in RPM's not MPH Rick

variator. define on the pipe cuz your power band is like a mountain most moped pipes are always on the powerband. although its not much more power than stock it is still there. ^is your average power band on a moped. -^is your average power band on a motorbike. you dig?

NO

you don't understand what i am saying or i am dead wrong?

Yes and no or make that no and yes.

It the Ex port and pipes shock wave timing that makes a power band work.

My hobbit is from 5-44mph.

But it is measured in RPM.

Live a V8 is from 1500 to 5200-6200 rpm.

A 4 cylinder is from 3500 to 6500-7500 rpm.

A six is from 2500- 5500 rpm.

Something like that.

well in that case, my single speed derbi has a 50mph powerband. because it hauls ass and is basically on the pipe from the moment the clutch engages to the moment it runs out of revs at 11k.

A variator should keep you in the power band until you run out of variation. Even a one speed clutch will extend your time in the powerband if properly tuned, thats its job. You can talk about a bike being in its powerband for a certain speed range but that is probably more influenced by the transmission type/tuning than the pipe. Its RPMs that matter for a pipe.

most powerbands on a two stroke that is tuned for high power lasts barely over 2000 rpm.

Powerband is a RPM rang of the crankshaft not MPH.

After power lives the crankshaft it is up to the drive-train yes.

This a stupendous joke right Rick.

Probably Fred /

estori and techno circuit for puch have good all around power until about 50mph or so. When I ran my simonini pipe on my magnum my low end and middle power was down but from 42 to 54 it hit hard. I like to go anywhere up hills too so I need all around power. High speed blasting is fun though. Metra 80 piston port kits like to rev high with big ports big carbs and a big pipe like a simonini It would be nice to have a power valve on the exhaust port of a moped engine like some 250cc dirtbikes have for better low end and middle power and still blast on the top. Little ports= low rpm power big ports= high rpm power with a power valve you can have both

Way too literal ! Never mind abandon thread , abandon thread

I'm not SSSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWWW . I just , Never mind .

a lot of top-end pipes (simonini puch/vespa comes to mind) have a huge hole in the midrange power, that makes you think it is hitting harder, when in fact it just feels like it because your coming out of a big slump.

the dyno results of the motomatic pipes on the yellow polini pinto, currently up on their blog, is a really good example of this.

Also consider when your clutch engages and may slip. You can be creating hella power and have no clutch grab to even feel it.

Sure , a pipe makes power from idle rpm to max rpm . Im talking about the Hit . Where you hear the sound of the pipe change , feel the extra hard pull and BAM , your "ON PIPE ". Yes , I know its the rpm range not the mph but with fixxed gearing you have a set rpm at any given mph .

How many people here have a tiny tac ? Not many gps ? tons do! So lets talk mph . Sounds like everyone but me is making peak power ALL THE TIME . My poor bikes do not do the same . Top end pipes mostly , Hitting in the 40s . You?

use your gearing and speed to calculate the RPMs. comparing power bands by MPH on bikes with different gearing is kinda irrelevant.

good point rafter, totally forgot about that element, that would definitely explain the huge hole in a couple of the motomatic pipes. i guess i'm not used to thinking of things in terms of real baller HP.

I am with you Rick. People here like to talk semantics apparently, like they have no idea what your talking about.

With 18x36 gearing on a za50 and a Homoet 4p I am on pipe at 36 and fall flat at 46-47 but climb to about 52. If someone can convert that to RPM's more power to you, especially seeing as there are two different internal gearings for the za50.

Also if we are playing the technicality game, wouldn't exhaust port hight also effect the pulse timing and change your TUNED powerband?

my pipe kicks in at about 18mph i can stay on the pipe till about 60mph then falls on its face at about 62mph 7500 -13000rpm she still revs to about 14200 but does not have the power.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Now thats what Im talking about , You two are giving me exactly the information that Im looking for . Seems like it is sooo easy too . Anyone else want to join in ? Its easy !

I don't have a tach.

but my pipe hits from 5-44 on a hobbit PA50 II with a proma.

It lets off at 44 on flats but pulls only 42 on uphill.

Still revs higher downhill, but not much more power.

Jaap's Puch calculator can help.

simonini on my built e50

kicks in at 37 miles an hour(bike just roars and takes off)

holds till i max out, which right now (messing with super find tuining) is between 56 and 60 mph.

the taller your gearing the longer your powerband lasts. on my old bike with 18:36 gearing, once the pipe hit, it just took off like a rocket and never felt like it stopped.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account