Derbi CDI Installation Guide

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Yes you want CDI on your derbi. The awesome new PUCH CDI works great and requires minimal modifications to fit you piston port, pyramid reed or flat reed derbi motor.

Check my blog for the quick guide. It worked great on my bike, huge improvement over the stock points.

http://cuperzacko.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/derbi-cdi-step-by-step/

Re: Derbi CDI Installation Guide

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

You should really turn down the taper slightly to match the puch flywheel (the derbi crank is bigger) otherwise you risk messing up the woodruff cutout on the flywheel when turning serious rpms. technically only about 40% of the taper is in contact with the crank.

That being said I used a za50 powerdynamo on my pyramid reed bike after I used lapping compound and the flywheel puller attached to a drill.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

vic, are you sure? It seems like the flywheel fits pretty snug on the crankshaft. The woodruff key is indeed smaller than that found on a puch so there is some slack there, but as long as you tighten down the flywheel good you should be alright.

Zack, I followed the link on your blog and it took me to the 2 speed CDI pack. Is that what you used?

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

yes sir.

So, what effect does it being for a 2 speed have on a 1 speed?

aaaannnddd, since I don't have money for this right now, do you think the 1 speed pack would be better if it is in stock when I do have said elusive funds?

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

The reference to 1 speed or two speed only refers to the rotation of the flywheel. Those marked for one speeds simply fire (and properly advance) for a conterclockwise flywheel rotation. I recently found simply flipping the coil around will basically flip the curve, essentially making either box work for either flywheel rotation. The 1 speed stuff would work maybe a tiny bit easier just since you won't have to flip the ignition coil, but thats it. As always, check and verify the bike is properly sparking with a timing light and impact wrench or something that can spin up the flywheel.

Good to know, thanks dude. I'm about to post pictures of my Derbi build on the general forums.... Thanks for all your help with that too!

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

no problem

I checked the flywheel and it seems to sit very well on the crank. Maybe the powerdynamo flywheel is different than the hero one?

your not going to notice play or anything. I was just saying the the amount of contact that the flywheel has to the crank is about less than half of what it should have.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account