naysayers prevail

The bondo putty patch on my Garelli gas tank failed after 4 years and now leaks. I patched it in San Diego whilst away from my tools. I'll put a spot of JB Weld on it after thoroughly douching the tank and we'll see how long that lasts. I don't want to ruin the paint with brazing. I am aware of epoxy putties made for car gas tanks but have never tried them. Success no doubt depends on the prep.

Re: naysayers prevail

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

woah steve you breaking out the garelli?

stever: stop posting /

take it to a boat repair/sales place, cover the hole with tape from the outside, have them pump in about a cup of fiberglass resin resin. tilt the tank so the resin sits on where the hole is... once it fully cures (half an hour or whatever), youre good to go. iv fixed a car tank and a few rusty motorcycle tanks this way, it works great and is fairly cheapv(less than 10 bucks most of the time). just make sure you get all the oil and grime outa there so the resin sticks.

The inside of the tank is even remotely clean enough for that ^^^ method to work???

Jerry Franek /

The devil is in the details, eh Mick?

Cripes.

dude I'm not saying you can't but I tried that and it held gas over night bud after a short ride it was all maikin' it rain in the club. but that was a maxi but I just broke down and stripped the frame and had it professionally welded

The car tank emergency sealnt stopped my shit with gas in it.

Once.

But is was a 1968 Ford LTD with a 28 gallon tank and I hit the seam on a rock with 6 people in it.

I fixed it on the side of the road with a screw and that stuff for 3 bucks.

But that was a car, good luck.

stever: stop posting /

mick... thats why you clean it. dish soap does wonders.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account