"threw a rod" on a E-50, And it exploded

ok! so i fix mopeds, one of my buddies has a few maxi's i work on for him, i had just rebuilt the top end on his kit (Athena 60cc?) and re-mounted his exhaust, replaced pedal shaft, and cranks blah blah blah.

plug looks rich, but i dont down jet because it ran pissah.

literally i spent a hour pulling wheelie s and torquing up hills.

his setup was

E50

Athena 60cc, port matched moderately

k-star head

PromaGP

15 bing, 84 jet

15 intake

uni-pod filter

16x45 gears

stock 2 shoe clutch, tuned

50:1 mix

amazing low end, mid range, topped out around 40

i had just finished installing whatever parts i sold him, and tuning his bike up, so we went for a nice ride, prob. 9 miles, took a break and let our bikes cool off, rode back, prolly 2/3rds of the way while i was blasting him, he stopped, so i turned around, when i got back to him he was on the side of the rode wailing on his bike with a sweatshirt (it was on fire). i put it out with sand. most of the shits melted (wires, fuel line/filter) weird shrapnel i later identified as e50 chucks in the street.

we get it back to my house and notice a 3 inch hole strait thru the motor.the con rod is snapped, and clearly poking outside of the crankcase. havent cracked it open, but im pretty sure everything on that motor is fucked, the shrapnel?explosion took out the carb and intake manifold too.

questions.

why? what failed? what happend?

my assumption is ... RPMS>stock crank

on the side of the rode i pulled his plug ( fresh from earlier when i replaced it) fucking perfect.

~SABAT!

Re: "threw a rod" on a E-50, And it expl

Pablo Puchasso /

When I had a roller bearing rod put in my ZA50, it didn't last too long either. The 2 halves of the crank twisted around the con rod. As I hear it, .00X mm off and your engine is fucked.

nice photographic documentation. does "pissah" mean fast in boston?

that is nuts!

Wow, that's sick. Major damage :|

I've got a good case if you want it. Joe

so your building him a new motor for free??

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Epic failure.

Show us the bore and piston?

holy cow, thats crazy

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

why was the bike on fire?

Must have been some fatigue in that crank

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

haha probably because a con rod poking in and out of the crank case top and bottom at super high rpm produces a lot of sparks?

maaan that's probably the most epic fail i've ever seen! i bet being on the bike when things got explodey was freaking awesome!

i literally cant understand how it could blow out the top AND bottom of the crank case. epic indeed.

win for fail. sorry to hear it, but that's pretty awesome.

Does your friend abuse his bike? It looks like the bike decided to commit suicide.

Actually, it looks like the crank had a flaw that caused it to break, then the crank blew through the cases. Is the cylinder still usable? Make sure to post pics of the inside when you pull it apart.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="

&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

better,stronger, faster

Re: &quot;threw a rod&quot; on a E-50, And it expl

Another offering to the goddess of speed. I've never seen a moped rod break before.

That is crazy. Great pics though.

wow, looks like it sucked a seal or something and then siezed hard, then the rod couldnt go anywhere but out!

saw this shit in person today. gnar buckets

it almost seems like something flew in there and jammed it all up.

was there a filter on that carb? sometimes loose change finds its way into bottom ends.

epic fail tho. I've seen few con rod breaks but nothing that killed the cases like that.

post some day time pics!!

Loose change..sucked in... That has actually happened??? Holy shit, what's the chances of that??? It would indeed be horrible...

...Shoelaces?? Oh NO!!!

Jesus, you can see through the crankcase, good lord.

I wonder if all that ground up airborne hotass metal(s) created a thermite like reaction, to set off the fuel.

I bet that made an interesting sound...I bet it was like:

pop'Gnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-klinkity-klinkity-klink

it was running a nice air-filter, the varibles that i think affected it is too lean of a mix, i should of ran 5oz per gallon? at least if it's dino oil.

and the gear ratio. it was running 16X45, with no roller bearings on the crank. so 40 mph is like 11k rpms if i remember correctly?

i dont think it will be, but i hope at least the cylinder survived.

`SABAT!

How old were the main bearings? And if you ported it did you actually take it apart or just stuff the case as you ported?

-Nick

quarterkick.com

I need more info.

did the kit have skirts on it?

cir-clips installed?

was the rod bad to start with? (the small end worn)

"Oh crap, my motor exploded in a horrible, destructive way!"

"Quick! Fill it with sand!"

+++

I'm playing.

Still, having spent days and months and years making sure moped

engines are clean and oiled and smooth, shoveling sand into a burning Athena kit must have been an interesting feeling for you.

hahaha yeah, i didnt think the crankcase was exposed the way it was when i first saw it on fire, so it was more like shit! why is that on fire? whattt?

day time pics, as requested

and a video break>

yeah, you can tell the whole thing is trash, shrapnel fucked the intake port. as for the cylinder, i cant find the kit in the wiki... but its much like a smaller displacement k-star i think.

at least the piston is very similar, athena logo on the cooling fins.

~SABAT!

<embed src=" http://img531.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Tphototwentythree004uf9" ; width="424" height="338" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/><a href=" http://www.imageshack.us/"> ;[Upload your own video]</a>

failll

this still makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

when it first exploded, i thought my feet were on fire...

she was runnin like a champ, too.

sabat lemme know when you get into the cylinder. still hoping maybe somethings left...

knox

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account