MAJOR: Which belt to go with for a Hobbit? Peter?

Yes, so since treats is out of his world famous belts, I have a few options.

Mitsuboshi (OEM) 23100-148-7030 $60.00

Dayco #17415 or 13A055 $12.00

Goodyear 17425 13AV1080 $16

Wiki says: I have tried the Dayco belt, and it does work. However, after a few hundred miles, the belt wore out. I suspect that the belt angle (the angle of the "V") is slightly different. The point --> don't expect a long life with this alternate belt.

The OEM belt length measured on the top side (outside diameter) is 41 inches (104.14 centimeters)

The top and sides of the OEM belt (width) each measures 19/32 inch. The bottom width of the OEM belt measures 11/32 inch.

The Dayco belt is .5" longer than OEM.

The Goodyear belt is 1.5" longer and 2/32" thinner than OEM.

I'm leaning towards the Goodyear belt since the wiki rates the Dayco poorly.

IN your guyses experience, what is the BEST?

Re: MAJOR: Which belt to go with for a Hobbit? Pe

roadent$ craig /

i think someone should kidnap peter, elliot, tommy and all the gurus. lock them in a room with computer. and them constantly answering our questions.

i agree with said post.

I have a note from a long time ago that says a Napa? 5L420W will work.

will work or will work well?

Hmmmm, hasn't anyone else replaced their belt recently?

While my name is not peter I can answer your question. If you want it to work properly and be reliable you should buy the Mitsuboshi. Yes it is more expensive but buying parts that are guaranteed to work on your bike will be much less hassle and be completely worth it. Trust me it's worth the price unless you like being frustrated and or disappointed.

i have ONLY had luck with the stock belt.

imo, i would try to find a used one. they rarely, rarely fail. the other belts would work too, but there really is not a direct replacement.

inch and a half longer than stock is a lot.

Used is the way to go.. I bought one on ebay and it stilll has lots of life left.

On a related note, are Treat's belts the same length as stock?

Dammit, well if the stock belt rarely fails maybe I need to replace something else.

My Hobbit is really really hard to start. I have to pedal as hard as I can to start it. I don't think it should be this difficult.

So, is the belt the culprit or something else?

so the fast arrow belt looks like the exact size

good year belt research has turned up these? has anyone had luck with these?

OEM width 9/32 = 0.59375

model: 22414 0.63 wide 41.000 long

model: 17411 0.53 wide 41.000 long

are you using the decomp valve while starting?

yes. I still have to pedal as fast as I can to get it started. Once it's started, it runs great.

It wasn't starting yesterday no matter how hard I pedaled, so I got discouraged with it.

Today I tried it out and I still had to pedal really hard and really fast, but managed to get it running. I took a 15 mile cruise and it was fine.

I let it sit for a few hours and then wanted to ride it again.

I pedaled and pedaled and pedaled but now it doesn't even sound like it wants to start.

I don't get it!

Could this be the variator as well?

I would mess with the tension, If your belt is to loose or to tight it can slip on the ramps making it very hard to start.

I can vouch for all those belts sucking compared to a good stock one.

It does look pretty loose. Maybe the belt is still good?

How do I mess with the tension? I haven't really looked at it, but is it self-explanatory?

the rear wheel is held into the subframe with 4 13mm bolts. loosen them up, loosen the pedal chain tensioner, pull the back wheel so the belt is tighter. pretty simple.

this will fix all your problems.

Nice! Thanks a lot. I can't wait to try this when it gets nice again this week!

One more thing, how do I know how much to tighten it? Just until it is taught?

you don't want it super tight. it should be able to move easily about a half inch or so

sweet. thanks guys

dude, i have the exact same problem on my Hobbit PA 50 II. Exactly the same. My friend came over and put a different belt on the bike, and it started right up. One week later im having the same problem even with the new belt. The belt seems pretty tight to me, so not sure what to do exactly. Gonna check this thread and hope we figure it out.

i'll report back here once i get a chance to adjust the back wheel.

sucks you have the same problem even with a new belt.

just tension the belt guys!

Tensioning does not always work, though it usually does. I will be testing #17415 and 17425 over the next couple weeks to see if either is decent.

my belt wasnt brand new, it was an old one just swapped. Should have made that clear. One belt worked, one didnt at the same tension. Maybe ill make it even tighter and see how it goes. Thanks

wasting time and money on the aftermarket belts.

are your pulleys good 'n grippey? if your belt is tight but you're slipping a lot you might have grease/oil on your pulley, variator or belt which is bad. (had this on my hobbit, de-greased faces & dressed the belt, problem went away) otherwise if you're not slippin much your start clutch weights might be going to hell. if you can ripcord start it from the flywheel easily there's a decent chance your starter clutch is getting worn out. about $15 from your Honda dealer.

degrease your pulley 'n variator, & dress your belt. tighten everything up nice and tight. if you're belt is still slipping, you've got a problem. if your belt isn't slipping but still hard to start check your clutch.

why are aftermarket belts so bad?

because they arent the exact same shape and size of the stock one.

but dont originals wear over time becoming mis-shapen. Then what choice do you have but to get a new one? I guess you could try to find an old one, but that seems hard as well. Maybe my problem isnt even the belt, maybe its something else like above poster mentioned, clutch plate

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account