PA50II acceleration

I just put on the proma pipe that treats has and i love the added speed and how it sounds but it seems like the low end seems to have lost some (once it gets to like 7 mph or so its sweet). What would be the easiest way to improve this low end? I am planning on getting new weights but am curious to how ever or how light i should get. any other thoughts or advise on the matter would be much appreciated.

Re: PA50II acceleration

pedal faster...

I havn't tried new clutch springs on a stock hobbit but that might be of assistance. The boysen 2 stage reeds do help a little bit.

Raymond Rexroad /

Yes - buy and install a set of 1000 RPM Honda Dio clutch springs. Makes a WORLD of a difference.

The wiki talks about the springs, as well as the tool you need to remove the clutch.

Other have posted other ways to remove the clutch, using other piece parts put/welded together - you'd have to search for that.

Assuming you are using PA50II weights, you can drill them out a bit to tune your variator.

thanks for the replies. i was thinking about replacing the springs since the wiki clearly says that they solve for the lost low end. i was reading the post about them and someone asked if these would cause added stress to other parts. i'm fine with stress but could it add so much as to cause damage to other parts?

i am waiting for the puller tool to arrive but i am fairly certain that i need either new weights or new clips because it sounds like there are pieces rattling in there. would lighter weights add anything off the line?

Yeah, but it kind of depends on where yer power band be. But generally speaking, you want the lightest weights that will get the variator open aLL the way. Also, ifn you haven't yet, check out the variator mod for top speed by cutting little windows in the variator.

I read once that the roller weights for a PA50I are lighter than the ones for a PA50II.

PA50I =22121-148-710

PA50II=22121-148-700

A lighter weight should give you better acceleration

Maybe someone can confirm this.

yeah i've been going back to the wiki on the variator mod quite a bit and it doesn't look too hard to do but I would rather wait until i had a spare variator to try this on just in case i did a piss poor job. In the wiki is says the size of the stock roller weights is 15x16mm. would i have to get these through honda or are there others compatible. thanks for all the replies

the PA501 weights are a tad bit too light for just a proma, with a kit on there too they are the ideal setup.

just get the boyseen reeds it will help a lot.

http://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-pa50-pa50II-camino-boyesen-power-reed-p/boyesen-honda-reeds-stock.htm

is this what i should look for? with these would i need to upjet or adjust anything else? i will probably just get the stock replacement roller weights. they would be a drastic improvement over my current weights

You can buy 15X16 in different weights for about $6 from many sources. If you drill them, you're stuck with them. Not sure if the PA50 has six rollers like an Urban, but if so, you can mix & match for different total weights. (3-9g's and 3-6g.) for different fine tuning effects.

got it. thanks. i guess now i will just wait for the puller tool to get here and see what i need

a puller for the clutch?

you dont need one for a weight change!

Raymond Rexroad /

You can buy 15X16 in different weights for about $6 from many sources.

The dimensions given in the wiki do not include the plastic caps (which are necessary). The overall dimension is 18mm long, and 15mm in diameter. Since most (all?) variator weights are expressed in diameter, then length (or width, depending on what you want to call it), the Hobbit uses 15x18 weights.

I haven't seen ANYBODY sell those.

I haven't seen 15X18 either.

When it comes to old Honda's & performance parts, sometimes you just gotta make it yourself.

A strap wrench and crescent wrench is all you need to change the weights... like this http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/1501539_lg.jpg

alrighty good news i'll try to do that this weekend! thanks for the help

Where can you buy the 1k rpm clutch springs for the Hobbit? I need to pull my clutch once again and I might as well look into this mod. Thanks

ebay search: honda dio spring

they are for the dio, but they work great on the hobbit!

so i finally got around to taking apart the drive face. 2 of the collars were broken in half and the moveable face had some grooves in it from the weight. is it necessary to replace the face since it has this groove in it or will new collars suffice?

Has anybody figured out if other NEWER mopeds/scooters have usable higher RPM clutch springs. I found the Dio clutch springs on ebay but when I purchased them I was told that they were out of stock. I would like to find something locally if I could which is why I ask about new model scooters.

if you cant find the dio springs, the gy6 springs will work as well. they are beefier, but fit perfectly. they seem to be about the same stiffness as the dio springs too.

Are the Gy6 springs for the 50cc model or what model exactly?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account