Garelli cdi help

So i tried installing my garelli/minarelli cdi a few months ago with no avail and wondered if anyone has got one installed and working. If so can you give me some details or pics?

Re: Garelli cdi help

nope. but you can give it to me if you want?!!?!? please?!?!?!?!

sorry man, i think i'm going to keep this one.

þλ†Я¡¢k §¡§ΩИ /

Is that the CDI from ffreddie or ed? Or is it the one that 1977 had?

It's from Ed, he helped me through most of it. I was getting a HUGE spark but it never would fire up. So i just need to see or hear how others installed them before i go nuts.

þλ†Я¡¢k §¡§ΩИ /

you were getting a huge spark? I thought testing with the plug

against the cylinder shorts out the cdi box?

I don't see how it would short the CDI box because if you think about it, it's the same thing as having the plug screwed into the cylinder. The threads of the plug ground to the cylinder to complete the circuit and which allow the spark to be produced.

Anyway, huge spark, it's just not firing at the right time no matter how advanced or retarded i set the timing.

þλ†Я¡¢k §¡§ΩИ /

You could..try cleaning up on the wires on your terminal block.

When I put in my CDI(from 77) my lights were dim and the engine

would sometimes cut out. I clipped like 1cm off each wire in the block and reconnected everything. Sounds dumb and pointless...

but it worked for me.

Everything worked perfectly fine before you put in the CDI right?

freddo...

i think its your timing thats off. I emailed 1977 about getting one of these a while back and dan (i think) said that you can't use the woodruff key when using the cdi.

i dont know if you are using the woodruff key, or making the flywheel line up with where the woodruff key WOULD go, but i suspect that the stock placement of the flywheel is WAY OFF for the cdi.

Here's what i suggest. and i've never done this, so i dont know if it will work, but this is what i was going to do if i ever picked up one of those cdi's:

1. get yourself a timing light. common practice is to have your motor running while using a timing light, but having a friend pedal the crap out of the bike should work just as well (this is the part that i dont know will work or not).

2. draw a couple of marks on the flywheel and case that line up at TDC.

3. have your friend pedal the bike like hell and see where the marks are when using the timing light. if it is way off, remove the flywheel, guesstimate how far you need to rotate the flywheel for spark to happen at tdc reattach and try again.

I have a sneaking suspicion that these CDI's that are being sold are actually made for the minarelli engine, but fit on the garelli stator plate. i'll bet it would work fine on a minarelli engine, but is way off on the timing for these garelli engines.

I'll pick up a timing light this week and try to reinstall the CDI this weekend.

Fred, did you flip the .. cdi...

Minarelli spins.. clockwise.. garelli counterclockwise..

Fred,

hmmm email me .. I can try to walk you through it:) Ed

Emailed ya buddy, just so ya know, i'm getting the same results as when we left off before.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account