idle jet too rich but...

otherwise jetted correctly. So the question is seeing how garelli's like to be a little rich on idle will i see any downsides to running it like this?

I've got a just a hair of 4 stroking around 1/8 throttle but from there to WOT i'm solid, take is improved, mid range rocks and top end is ripping.

Most of you know the setup i'm running so give me some advise, if you don't mind.

Re: idle jet too rich but...

Is it the dellorto SHA carb?

PHBG 19mm

The only downside I could see would be initial take off, but thats what pedals are for. Plus if your not ripping off the line then your clutch would probably last longer, considering everyone hates thoes damn rubber clutches, although i havent had a problem with mine....yet. The only other thing is if its way rich then you could foul plugs.

Yea i'm not fouling plugs, they're just black if i let it sit at idle for like 5 mins. I some down jetting last night and found that going all the way down to a 35 produced good low end but i'm afraid that's just a product of running too lean. Right now there's a 52 in there and i've got a rich sputter up to 1/4 throttle with okay low end. Even with a 42 there is some rich sputtering at 1/8 throttle with little change in the low end. I'm going to chop the 35 today and see what's going on.

With all that being said, is it better to be a a little rich up top and a hair lean on the bottom?

lean is never good, in my opinion, but i would rather be lean at lower RPM's than higher ones if i had to. Spending 10 bucks on jets to find the right one, or 100+ bucks on a kit that seizes. Just get everthing right so you don't have to worry.

I just finished up doing some plug chops and everything is at peace with each other. I'm still just a hair rich on the top end but i still have a tiny bit left on the break in so it will get ironed out soon.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

How about a less restrictive air filter?

Already have a high flow filter on there

little rich won't "hurt" but i also doubt if you got all your low end back it is lean because lean for me always loses power.

you're not going to seize a kit at 1/8th throttle. I'd say leave the 35 in.

You are correct, i went back over it this afternoon and threw the 50 back in there, adjusted the timing a little which produced some good results but nothing too drastic.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account