E50 clutch problem

i just finished my rebuild and the clutch is acting funny. i think it needs tuning but i'm not sure how. i don't have pedals and i have to push the shit out of it to get it started. when the clutch is engaged it seems to be locking up the back wheel and it's not giving me a smooth and even puh-puh-puh. not until i'm running up and down the street like a fool. when i remove the starter clutch plate and rotate the clutch by hand it feels like an even turn. and i'm fairly sure that the clutch lever is working properly. could it be that the springs need adjusting? if so which way? the clutch is fairly new. why would there be so much resistance on the wheel? -greg

Re: E50 clutch problem

Is it stock? Tuned bikes often have high compression which makes them tough to turn over. The clutch springs only come into play when the engine is running, they control the rpm that the bike starts to move once you've hit the throttle.

try putting weight on your ped you go to start it, like run next to it then jump on the seat and then as you hit the seat pull the decomp. should make it easier...

have the same problem on a bike on GR. any ideas guys?

1. find a hill

2. sit on bike and coast down hill

3. pull starter lever

if it starts then you're good. next step: get some pedals so you can pedal start it on the stand.

i had the same problem.

i thought it was because the gila was such a monster but it was the way i had the clutch shimmed.

do you have a performance cranck?

does it take 2 different inner diameter shims?

yeah, i would look at the clutch shims. some of the performance cranks have different tolerances, some use different clips in different places... all that jazz.

I am having problems starting my magnum since I rebuilt the engine with a parmakit crank. I ended up leaving out the first circlip since it didn't fit on the crank, instead I just installed the shim first so its pressed against the bearing...does this have anything to do with how hard it is to start? If so, what do I do to fix it?

will ground his circlip down to make it fit and hasn't any problems... just an idea, sarah. :)

ps- will has a top racing crank, which is supposedly the same as parma.

she left it out entirely. would rather have a missing circlip than one that is altered/modified.

the shimming is correct, no play on the bell and the final clip was dead-on.

I think what I was really supposed to do is, either get the right bearing for that crank, or get the right sized shim...

I just want to know if this is even the cause of my problem.

yeah, i guess that would be a better solution. will hasn't had any problems starting his though, and it's been tried and true for over 1,000 miles.

the crank is a dmp race crank, unstuffed. and i have the people's kit on it. gonna try a couple things today and hopefully sort it out. thanks for the help! -greg.

did you use the step-by-step rebuild guide by brystheguy in the wiki section?

the pictures and notes are really helpful...

no, i had someone help me on the rebuild more knowledgeable than myself. i'll check out the wiki page and make sure all is square. thnx

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account