new exhaust and starting questions

ok, so i have the biturbo on my tomos, and im already at a 58 jet i think. if i put a new estoril on, would i need to go up again?

also, when the work was first done, (new plug, used biturbo and jet) i never had to choke the bike, even if it sat overnight with the gas on ( why do we have to turn the gas off when we park? never got that...) it was a one kick bike. now i have to choke it every time it sits for a little bit. plug maybe? i did try to run the bike sans airbox for about 3 minutes, the bike would bog out so much off the line and i saw no gain in speed, so i put it all back. i probably fouled it right?

Re: new exhaust and starting questions

no one loves me today

sounds lean if you have to use the choke. turn on your bike let it idle and warm up. then take your air mixture screw and screw it in a little does it idle higher? or lower? screw it out same thing.

in= richer

out= leaner

if it helps to go in move your needle down one try again once you run out of needle and screw it is time for a bigger jet. or you could just do plug chops :S

when you say move the needle down one what do you mean?

There's a little clip on the needle in the carburetor, take the clip off and move it down.

ah, okie. ill look into that one. i dont remeber that on my old tomos, but i dont know everything.

is there a way that the bike became lean? i mean i put almost 2k miles on it just fine, and after i took the airbox off it started doing this

i also do not have the estoril on it yet, just the turbo

I think if you take off the air filter and it still runs you need to up jet (I could be totally off and you might have to down jet not up jet). But if it runs with the choke on you need to down jet. I don't see why you would need to though cause your supposed to up jet when putting a pipe on. Maybe someone else will chime in and tell you.

no no, it only needs choke to start, where it didnt before i (temporarilly) took the air box off. im running the same setup as i did to drive from fla to sc, it never had an issue till that airbox came off. im going to go look to see if i may have an air leak

Oh well the engine might just be cold my tomos starts up in the summer without the choke but in the winter I have to use the choke but I'm not sure about the bogging. Since its off the line bog maybe go up in an idle jet? check for air leaks first though.

no, the bog was just when the airbox was off. its on now, not bogging.

and i was thinking temps too, but i just went outside and it fired first kick, after sitting for 5 hours. mid afternoon needed choke, and it was upper 80s!

your exhaust is going to be trial and error but shouldn't matter. what does is the air box. when you run with the box on it restricts the amount of air and runs normally rich. When you remove the air box you remove the restriction and it will always run lean so you need to change your carb set up to make it run a little richer so it wont soft seize on you due to high heat build up, thats why you run an aftermarket high performance exhaust so it does not restrict the exhaust gases trying to escape. what you do to the intake must be done to the exhaust. But if you just want to run a better pipe and not change the intake and carb set up then go ahead, it wont kill your engine.

gabby, thanks! the pipe helped some, as did the upjet ( found a local that has no airbox and biturbo running stock jet and he wonders why i passed him so fast)

i didnt think that the estoril would require a jet change, but im still going to get a few because i want all i can get out of this prior to kitting, ya know? like a 50cc/50mph thing (im fat, so ill settle for consistant 45)

just remember the 50/50 enthuisist next step is porting and polishing a 50cc cylinder. so buy another cylinder to do it on and keep this engine going. make your own stencils for alignment of the intake and exhaust ports and you'll be just fine

I think you're a little confused. As stated before removal of the airbox would cause you to run lean, as witnessed by the telltale sign of bogging. This in no way would lead to a fouled plug, but rather a white or burned plug(if anything). Exhaust? who knows, but if you're going for 50/50, there are better pipes than the estoril. I revved higher with a biturbo.

my biturbos can is falling off, so an amp can and 2 hose clamps fix it. fun. i was just wondering if the plug got "messed up" when i took the box off. seems fine now, with it back on (no bogging) just the starting thing.

one more thing so i can clarify: are you saying i can take the airbox off (causing it to lean out) and fix the mix with the idle screw? id like that

no idle is only for idle. if you take the air box off or go hi-flow, you need to re jet again. do one thing at a time it makes life easier.

i have some jets on the way, but maybe not high enough.

Yo, What you need to do is just jet real high and come down until it doesn't four stroke any more. I have never done a plug chop and my bikes always run fine. If you are to rich the bike will want to bog when you take off. If you are to lean the bike will bog on take off also. If you start high you will at least know you are rich and you can just come down a few sizes until the bike does not four stroke on take off. When it seems fine at idle hammer on it and when you are at max or close to max speed and the bike four strokes a little come down on the jetting one by one until it doesn't fourstroke any more. If it doesn't four stroke at full throttle then upjet until it does and then you will know where you need to be. It is very simple but takes a bit of time to get it right.

again a term i dont quite get, whats 4 stroking? and by what youre saying, i want it to do it at full tilt?

Have you cleaned the carb lately? Could just be funk slowly built up in your jet/idle circuit. Either way, it never hurts to clean it.

Fourstroking is when the motor boggs and sounds like its going real fast but its barely moving. Toss a super big jet in you will hear the noise. It will sound normal then it will change tone and then come out of it most of the time.

Four stroking is exactly that -- a 2 stroke that sounds like a 4. It sounds like the engine is choking, because there's too much fuel and not enough air. The fuel only combusts half the time instead of every time, since that "lost" stroke sometimes brings enough air into the cylinder or expels enough fuel for it to fire. The excess fuel will come out of your exhaust and possibly catch fire! If you're REALLY a cool dude and your pipe is short (hence hot), you just might get a flameout or two.

It's not at all unusual to have to use the choke to start it. That's what the choke is for!

The sound changes from the smooth 2-stroke WAAAAAAA sound to a coarser sound.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account