SHA vs PHBG

I currently have a stock post 2000 sprint.

I intend to add biturbo pipes and understand I may need a better carb. I understand that probalby for modest needs a 16 mm is enough, but what is the difference between SHA and PhbG? What are the benefits of each?

Is there anythign special required to attach a phbg to my intake or is it a straight swapout?

Re: SHA vs PHBG

For one, you could just upjet when you add the biturbo..add a different carb when u put a kit on....

sha = 1 jet, gas metered by slide only

phbg = 3 jets, several different needle sizes for gas metering, bitch to tune, but better all around performance once you get it dialed in perfectly, which might take months.

The SHA carb is dead simple. You can't really adjust it's metering across the range of throttle positions. You just need to pray that the spray bar has the right size holes.

There is also no idle circuit adjustment. You just have one jet. And you get to try to get that ONE jet to cover all the operating reigiemes of your engnie.

It's not a good distuion.

The PHBG has a needle, which has progressive, and infinitely variable fueling across the throttle range. It also has a seperate pilot jet, which handles fueling at small throttle openings. And it has a main jet, which handles full throttle. And the needle jet which restricts the main jet to work well at part throttle settings.

The SHA is "easier" to tune, becuase there's less taht you can actually tune. The PHBG lets you tune everything. Which is a situation where you could have best power, good idle, and good fuel economy.

To give yourself a good learning experience just try different larger jets in your existing carb.

So should a mere mortal acquire a PHBG and attempt to extract the nectar of power from it or should they just get a SHA and accept their place in the moped caste system?

Yea if you don't get approval from your betters and try to sport one of these PHBGs around town it will be confiscated. Best to get on the waiting list

Since you had to ask you better stick with a SHA, at least for now until you gain the propper knowledge. In the mean time you get to learn all about what you can and cannot do with a SHA

I'm have been tunning my phbg for months and now that is is a little warmer I have to tune it again. ha

So greater power at the expense of tempramental behavior

greater power from greater adjustability. but if you don't know what does what and why, you can get lost in the sauce.

With a tuned phbg, you're less likely to hole a piston. there's so little tuning to do on a SHA, it's no wonder people seize.

Yeah, just upjet your stock carb, and get a k&n filter or a uni pod filter at the same time. that way you get all your entry level tuning/modding/speed done at once and proceed to properly jet it with a couple plug checks. Otherwise you will have to up jet for the pipe then up jet again for the filter. The tomos filter box is hella lame, restriction wise. Its surpirsing how much power you can extract by ditching the stock box. Plus its gonna be like 20 bux shipped for a uni pod. just measure the outter diameter of the del, I think its like 2 3/4 inchs, but don't quote me on that. Then go down to your local power sports store and be like, shut up and give me this uni pod filter, and it better be like 18-20 dollars or I am going to order it off of e-bay.

learn how to tune your stock carb its pretty easy and should give you experience. then start going insane with 20 different variables. i wouldn't go straight to the phbg unless if you know how to tune a carb because it will take a while to get perfect.

bing over sha

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account