Re: 50cc 50mph+ secrets?

I was wonderin... the speeds you guys say is "top" for your ped - is that in full tuck with legs up on floorboards (or metal things for you Puch people ----- or wherever on top tanks) - or is this sitting up? My wiki page top speeds are full tuck.

full tuck=top speed

Ok you guys were right about the compression thing. Checked my compression when I was hitting about 41, 90 psi. Sad. So I raised it to about 120 by decreasing head gaskets, 44mph+. It was climbing as I hit the powerband at about 38mph. 16x45 gearing.. I ran out of road.. gonna go test it right now.. You guys sure do got some smarts!

Variators help a lot.

Also, switch from beer to whiskey.

head gaskets? huh? Why plural? You only need one.

He means just gaskets. And I think I just heard him and Matt fly down P street.

Oh yeah that was us.. Me and tom though.. My tccd pinto was blastin his metramaxi. So fun.. Get outta bed and come ride homie.. BASE gaskets

Do you have a hi compression head, or have you decked your head at all? Thats a little something something you can do to get a lit bit more zing. Also yeah the homoet is supposedly the best top speed pipe. I have one on my maxi right now and its straight, but I don't have much to compare it too, puch wise, other than the stock muffler.

I have a #1 high torque ported a 14 bind dirt bike carb 16x40 gearing and a bullett pipe and i get to 42 on a gps i just for kicks put on a simonini only got to 40 but with no powerband hit like the bullett i might just for kicks put a 13 front on and try it out to see if i can hit the powerband of the pipe. the simo is not staying on this bike im just curious, all in all low end was not any worse than the bullett except that i cant pedal

what i am very curious about is the 6p not being much better on top than a bullett because i was thinking about that for this bike, or raising the gearing and using a proma circuit with the idea that it will pull me through the mid range and even though it will not have the same top end powerband it will be compensated for with gearing, any ideas?

Im 185lbs not a light weight by any means

how big of a difference will say 10 psi make in compression?

Homoet 6p...expensive

but this freespirt i have is doing 42 with a stock alum 3 jug and a 15mm carb...thats kinda nutty. That pipe just winds up.

superman=top speed :)

Roberts surfboards /

If you get a"yield in power" you must gear to transfer into speed...this is 50cc life...................Big BOB...cool story...know you all like these...shaw-50cc(mightywhitey 76goosenecker turned into racer)57mph+...Colby on 2000 A35stock cylinder tweeked by yours truly...Sam (a total bad ass that has ridden more bikes and miles than I could ever dream of...(one of my heroes)...We were all BALLIN along at 55+ when I heard Sam pop 6th gear on his DT (water cooled)yamaha 50...ooh...all out 50cc race in the long curves...One of the best Myrons's runs ever...so here we go Colby and Sam are ahead but we are on a slight incline and I know there is some downs coming (slight)...I draft...I wait... little down"s come I hit all the pipe (and hold)...Game over.. (never cracked...bushing crank...13,000...) Oh they were there... but far enough to be bewildered by mighty whitey...Colby took the DT too ...when we hit the downs/flat... there was not enough flat part at the last so when the DT shifted it couldn't catch 6th and rev it it out...nicky cruz

i would give anything to bask in that stream-of-conscious for a day.

Wow. I'm just going to take one word out of shaw's post.

"Myron's"

How can there have been so many posts to this thread without mentioning aerodynamics? Isn't Myron's Mopeds the shop with the fully-faired Tomos?

Full-tuck does not equal fully-faired. What are you tucked behind?

I'm sorry to all the little men giving the big man advice on boosting his power output, but I think that perhaps the big man needs to try a front fairing on his awesome Pinto.

"This book":http://books.google.com/books?id=0JJo6DlF9iMC&dq=David+Gordon+Wilson&printsec=frontcover&source=an&hl=en&ei=lHG6SentLM-jtgf3wrjkDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP7,M1 gives a number of rather fantastic explanations why this is a good idea.

To paraphrase: A human body is not particularly aerodynamic. A bicycle or motorbike acts against the inertia of the air it has to move, though, in effectively only one direction. You can mitigate a human's un-aerodynamic nature by taking it entirely out of the equation - e.g. by "hiding" it behind a cone of air created using a small, leading fairing.

More aerodynamic means less power required to jump from 40 something to 50 something means that all the smart and tricky things that people suggest above will work that much better.

^you're right. Last night I was cruising around at at about 38, tucked down, more throttle, I was on my way past 45mph (gps'd) when I got an airleak, had to go home. Thats on 16x45 gears. By the way, does anyone know where the moped speed/gearing spreadsheet is that tells you the rpm for speeds for gearing? Hope that made sense.

Its in the Wiki.. or a link to it

I got to 50mph tonight.. 3 times.. on flats.. yay.. with 16x45 gears.. According to the spreadsheet, im around 11,000 rpms. The motor was screeeaaaammin. Should I be running a temp gauge? I find it extremely rewarding getting a 50cc to 50mph.. Dope sauce

i know some guys that race bikes and they say that at 18mph 80% of your drag is in your tires but at 40 it flips and 80% is you that is y recumbent bikes are so fast aerodynamics

Finny even if i lost 50lbs i am 6 6 so i am still not going to be as aerodynamic as some one at 5 foot and 120lbs i am just going to put a jockey on it

Dan,

Is that GPS confirmed 50/50? If so that's f-ing sweet.

- Joe

Yeah gps confirmed 50mph. On my tomtom. I was on cloud nine.

getting choked up over here imagining seeing a GPS tick over to 50 on a 50cc cylinder...

Get a mb5.

Problem solved.

Hey so I did some stuff to my setup since I first posted this. I cut 2.5mm off my intake side of my piston to increase my port duration. My bike is now creating a ton of power above 9k rpms. I hit 53mph gps today with wind in my face. But the low end is even more sluggish. I can tune my clutch, yes, but do you have any recommendations on how to gain some low end power back without regearing or sacrificing top speed? Good pipe that will still let me rev up really high and give me some more guts down low? Right now I have a bullet. Thanks

for sure do these three things:

tune clutch

increase compression to maybe 180

Get a 16t pedal freewheel

A homoet 6P would give you more high end with just a small mid range loss. To get it both ways you need both a Estoril and a 6P with a valve you can actuate when yo get up to speed to switch to the faster pipe.

Yeah I think the 16t freewheel is a must. My compression is 180 right now with my head milled flat

Wow Steve. That's crazy talk. Have you ever run the valve actuated 6p?

your skinny ass don't weigh 220. shit,

Yep what he said.

you beat me

No GPS

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-5028255714793447629&hl=en&fs=true"; style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

you might try to re-work a pipe.. either the 6p or the estoril if you have buddy with a welder.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account