boost my 1977 Batavus HS-50

hey,

so i have a 1977 Batavus HS-50 and id like to give her a few more CC's. would even think about adding a bigger CC kit if there is any. new to the moped world so would love lots of help.

-E

Re: boost my 1977 Batavus HS-50

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Batavus is a lonely world of no kits and janky fixes.

Start here: http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:Batavus

Also Encarwis! YES!

high comp head is about it. otherwise its all DIY.

if you want to kit it your best bet is to try and mount a puch e50 engine on there. not too hard, from what i've heard. a stock m56 engine (which is what you probably have) isn't that bad performance wise, though, if you get a decent sized carb (like a 15mm dellorto, e.g.) and a pipe on it (like a biturbo). You can take the exhaust pipe to a muffler shop to have it modified to fit. also, as has been mentioned, you can deck your head to boost the compression a little (google that).

I would look at the exhaust.. port.. move it up about 5-7mm.. then you'll see some power from it. Also I would mill the jug and head :)

one big thing I would really like to see available is sprockets.

with the giat (50 or 52 tooth) sprocket on these things you see a lot of improvement on lowend, and less on the top.

Get to it!

I think the HS-50 has the M48 engine. And if it has an M56, you need to fabricate an intake in order to put a different carb on it.

Go to a plumbing supply store and find a thin brass sleeve that will work as a shim on the old intake to make it fit a dellorto sha.

Do the exhaust mod in the wiki. I just did it last week on my hs 50. It pulls up hills from a stop now and has pretty good top end. I still have a couple things to do to get the speed past 32.

Search engine is your friend. By the end, you will be happy for every extra mph you squeeze out.

first involved bit of work: clutch mod.

then decide what you're going to do with the carb.

then decking / milling

then pipe

...or whichever order works best for you. search.

hell yea.

clutch mod, intake mod, maybe a different pipe, but if I was gonna do something as in-depth as customizing a pipe, I'd prolly try to fab up a smaller gear first.

Ports on an M48 are so conservative that it's hard to screw up porting.

The biggest setbacks to improving an M48 would be the stupid dry clutch, the placement of the carb, and limited space for reed cage modifications.

legends of a solo engine which matches the engine mounts- capable of fitting with puch kits..

myth?!

Zack Bandit's word is gospel. The day of kitted batavusez is nigh.

batavi? batavus'? maybe it is plural as is.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account