stock piston in a 50cc kit

so i broke my psiton ring in my 50cc athena reed valve kit and cant find one, hopefully someone on here will have one for me but i cant wait for a new ring the weather is gettin nice and i want to ride. a stock puch piston is the same size, so im thinking ill cut a nice window into that and try her out. anyone done this? will it work? it looks like the ring gaps wont sang but im not sure, how bad will it be for my cylinder is a ring does snag?

Re: stock piston in a 50cc kit

google 38mm piston ring and then find one that has the same thickness. you'll find them for chainsaws, yard equip, etc

Also with access to a lathe you could make your ring groove 2mm and use a stock Puch ring and they don't break

the pin is a different style than the way puch ones are, all the chain saw ones seem to be the same style as the puch ones as well

If you can't alter the ring ends Puch Shop nl will have one

But yea try a Puch piston. They made many different sizes. Try to find one with a .002 to .004 inch piston to cylinder clearance

how would i alter the ends just with a dremel? they are so brittle id be scared to touch them with a dremel

Would you feel more confident with a jewelers file?

yeah i suppose it is about time for me to get a set of small files. i just cut a big ole window into a stock puch cylinder so i think im going to try it out for the time being

with the stock piston and rings in my kit it feels smooth when i turn the flywheel, would i be able to feel it if the ring gaps were exposed in a port? im kinda worried about a ring end ripping up my brand new kit

you have to gap new rings anyways so why would you be afraid?

what do you mean gap new rings? its the stock puch piston with the stock rings that came on it in a athena kit

With the piston partly out of the cylinder mark with a sharpy where the ring ends are, take the piston out and sight down into the bore to see where the ring ends ride through the bore.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account