Hobbit Engine Gasket

Is it completely necessary? I've never built any other motor using a gasket, can I get away with just using hondabond, or will that cause spacing problems? I finally have everything to put my motor together and realized I don't have a gasket.

Re: Hobbit Engine Gasket

you could use the yama/hondabond stuff i think. maybe there's a spacing issue without the gasket, but i doubt it. you could of course find your thinnest gasket material and cut it yourself.

also, you could try assembling it dry without the gasket, see what it looks like. i just really think the gasket was a factory thing that was easier then smearing goop all over it.

Thats kind of what I thought. Anyone done it without the gasket?

The gasket is pretty thin correct?

Nobody?

Which gasket? Head, Jug, Case?

The head gasket is thin metal.

The jug gasket is a rather thick, gasket like material.

Case, im not so sure but i would assume rather thin.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/mediawiki/images/f/f0/Honda_PA50_Parts.pdf page 6

Raymond Rexroad /

I measure the thickness of my case gasket when I get home.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I got a gasket set from treats, and it arrived in 3 days. It's always best to use new gaskets, cost $15.00

tommy , I cant belive you havent measured the clearance , decked the head , matched and polished the mating surface , used a spree head or anything . I'm confused , Is this your first honda build ?

I mean the case gasket. I finally got all my stuff and dont want to spend the money and wait to get the engine gasket.

Anyone see a problem with not using one and just using honda bond on the case? I'm not a total idiot kids, but i just want to make sure there will not be alignment spacing issues.

Yes it is my first honda build. I am a puch guy, but I still dont do any of that stuff. Overrated. I dont use measuring or math. haha. I kinda just go buy gut, works for me so far.

I have never decked a head in my life. Had pretty good success with my motors too.

So, anyone see problems with not using a case gasket?

Raymond Rexroad /

I measured a NOS case gasket - in three places - it is 0.018" thick.

Sounds like gooptime.

Where the hell is that pipe T-dog?

i used RTV for a gasket on mine, so far so good. it works, do it.

That .018 is going somewhere...Having not disassembled mine, I don't know if the clutch or flywheel will just stick out .009 extra on each side, in which case it may be ok. Or, it will put a preload on the main roller bearings, leading to bang.

As I have found, when cutting corners, there is always time to do it twice if there wasn't time to do it right the first time.

well. i'm telling you, its got about 100 miles on it and its going like a champ.

That does settle the issue.

Other modifications that may be of use would be to hack off .009 from each main bearing with a bench grinder. This will bring the case/crank clearance back to original specifications.

Conversely, making a shim from an appropriate number of beer cans, and placing them between the case halves could have the same effect.

Either way, I would fully expect that the design and manufacturing precision of Honda Motors would be fully able to last 5, 10, 100 or more miles using these methods.

And you have saved the cost of the gasket.

Raymond Rexroad /

Just put it together without the gasket. Pay special attention to the case halves where they come together - and that they DO come together before any fasteners are used. Make sure that the sealant (a thin layer) squeezes out, and that the cases truly come together HARD. If it all looks/feel right, then go for it. I would expect that you'd be able to note any bearing preload as the cases not fully coming together.

I'd suspect that it is possible that the various manufacturing tolerances could work in your favor, and maybe sometimes not. It can't hurt to try.

I've always used the case gasket when putting Hobbit engines together. I have one that I could measure/trace out for ya. I need it for a motor for your rally otherwise I'd send it to you. It's about as thick as the base gasket that comes with new kits.

Oh sorry dude . I wasnt trying to be a dick . I thought you were talking about a head gasket . My bad . A case gasket is less then 10 bucks from treats or your local honda dealer . Cheap Insurance .

dont use one. its fine.

word

I agree. Honda engines even on mopeds are very precise, when right they are bullet proof mess with them and they will mess with you right back. just saying.

It may be ok without one, but why take the chance? Unless you like redoing everything I would purchase the gaskets, stets on e-bay from time to time and treats has them. Just do it right the first time. Thats what I always try to do, shortcuts can and do work in some cases but I have found that they FAIL more often than not. The gasket was there for a reason, replace it. My 2 cents worth.

i've had problems with tomos engines i didnt put the gasket in... a paper bag makes a perfect tomos center gasket with some sealant on it. might work for hobbit.

if peter says it doesn't need it, tho, it probably is ok.

That about clears it up. Its a gray area, as in charcoal gray.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Gasket material is available at almost every auto parts store. It comes in 1/64th", 1/32, 1/8th" and thicker specialty gaskets. 1/64th" is 15 thou, or just right for your needs. Gaskets are about the most easy thing a mechanic could make. I've cut out thousands of them by hand & they always work. A standard hole punch, for binder paper, is perfect for the holes on 10 mm head bolts. It's hard to imagine that if you're going to work on motors, you don't have the stuff just laying around.

FOR REALLZZZZZ get a hole punch. i haven't bought a gasket in so fucking long!!! in fact i haven't used a gasket that comes with a kit in forever.

How much is your labor worth? If you do not use the gasket and the case leaks you will have to do it all over again.

honda machine tolerance a bajillion times better than puch, and puch doesnt use a gasket and rarely leak.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account