Questions for dudes w/ vespa polini top one

I just hooked mine up, and damn. It is most triumphant. Couple things I couldn't figure out though. Whats that bracket in the front for? Are you supposed to buy a super long engine stud or something? Also, how are you dudes doing plug chops? It is a MAJOR hassle to get the plug cap on there, like I had to unscrew my coil and like almost force the cap around the bulb and just generally get crazy with it. Ifn there is something I am missing, please enlighten me. Finally, is anyone else running the top one with the dellorto 13, hiflow filter and the multivar? I just kept the stock jet in the del 13, which is like a 66 I think, and it seemed fine, but its too icy and whatnot to ride round these parts, so I was just wondering what ballpark jet yall are using. Thanks.

Re: Questions for dudes w/ vespa polini top one

I have all the same parts as you I run the 66 jet here in SF (sea level). Prob could go a little leaner but I don't want to push it and its not fouling plugs. my coil is mounted on the left side so the plug wire just kinda goes down between the pipe and engine wraps up to the front (I'll take a pic) your Top One should have come with a 11mm long nut its over an inch long you use it instead of your bottom head nut or on top of it, whatever works. Then another 11mm bolt goes through the tab to the long nut. I had to do a fair amount of bending the tab and shortening of the long nut to make it all come home. I also had to drill a hole for the rear support the muffler had another inch to slide on than the stock slot allowed. mine gets close to the underside of the pedal sprocket careful.

Oh I see. I didn't even notice that thing. I just tore the bubble wrap off of the pipe and scampered off with it. I saw the little bag but was like, meh its just a sticker. I also think I could stand to drill a better hole for the back by the silencer. I noticed the silencer could have slid on a little farther, but I just put a thick hose clamp on it and called it cool.

Have you drilled your intake or cut your crank? I am considering those next, after I sand the head tamary.

Thanks man, Iwasn't expecting that kind of helpfulness. What kind of performance are you seeing?

^^Close to sprocket

If the back bolt gets loose the silencer could end up in the spokes (Bad Town) Lock tight is GUD.

plug chops do pretty much suck. you have to wait till it cools pretty much all the way down or wear oven mitts (which there aren't room for). The head fins are to deep for that groovy spark plug tool ya got on your key ring, and when you do use a ratchet you can still only take three click bites, its like jerking off a mouse in kid's shoe box.

Sub thirty five great on hills. I went straight to the 8gr weights. with the 4.whatever's I felt like it was just tacked out all the time. I'm building a 64cc Malossi with bored intake and cut crank. but I'm not finished yet. Do the head and seal it with a THINN layer of good gasket dressing no gasket.

Stock Cut crank, doing this made me think the store bought one is worth it. Maybe.

Have you seen ciaociao break> the guy who owns it is totally gorgeous.

That sucks, I don't know what I would do ifn one of my bikes got run over by a van. Sadly I realized the dude who sold me my multivar forgot to send the limiter spacer, so I am either going to try and get him to find it and send it, or if he can't just try and get the dudes at malossi direct to sell me one. It has a part number, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is gettable.

As far as weights go, I think I am going to order these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFORMANCE-ROLLER-WEIGHTS-MULTI-PACK-ELITE-DIO-16X13_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ013QQitemZ230293718931QQtcZphoto

It seems that they are the right size, I just don't know if they are made for a dry variator.

Also I ordered a set of kinetic forks. I thought they were supposed to be hydraulic. not so much. Oh well, I got them used and shipped for like 30 total, so no big loss.

Why not get the right weights from Treats?

Limiter spacer? Is that the little plastic guy that fits between the cheeks? I left that out. Why do you want a limiter?

As far as the weights from treats, I didn't see a grab bag like that one with 2-13g's, but I might just buy a selection from them.

Looking at the diagram, I might actually be missing the multivar variator adaptor. It is supposed to come with two black plastic rings, I got the smaller one, but am missing the larger one. I can't really tell from the diagram, but yeah, I think it is actually the adaptor. I haven't realy fiddled with it, but I might be able to figure out a substitute.

I got that long nut and bracket hooked up, and I really like the set up so far. Only thing is the top one took a bite out of my front fender. Right above the mud flap, there is a pretty nasty little dent/scratch. Maybe my forks are really soft? I put on a couple pounds over the winter, but not like that much. Oh well, its only me can see, spot where it is an all.

paul,

do you know where i can get one of those longer engine studs? i have a polini pipe that hooks up just like the top one, but i got it through a trade and it's from the 80s...so i don't have any of the hardware for it.

thanks,

brad

you can buy 'coupler nuts' at many hardware stores, just a longer nut with room to screw another bolt in on top. I think thats what paul is saying is going on.

Exactly, Graham.

maybe you could find a turnbuckle with a center that accepts M7.

Hey Paul, thanks for your help, I gotst one more question. The variator adaptor, I think its the bigger of the two black plastic deals, can you think of any sort of substitute from like a hardware store? I haven't ever seen one, or I might be able to suss out a piece that would work. If this dude doesn't come through, I might have to get a little creative. Thanks, Tate.

My Multivar doesnt have any such plastic rings. Not sure what you are referring to there.

You do indeed need an M7 coupler nut. Just loctite and screw it onto the bottom stud, then bolt the exhaust to it.

66 is probly a bit rich, but I never ran a Top One, so who knows. My Grande is kitted and a bunch of other stuff and runs a 77 I think.

And finally, the "race" cranks from TOP and DMP aren't really cut much, if at all. I ground my DMP out 5mm and 10mm, and it blasts.

James, you know every thing! Thanks for making me feel, though, that my time wasn't waisted.

Tate,

are you missing the spacer that goes between the inner cheek and the frame?

i always have that problem when i get new parts. i never even think of looking at the directions...

Actually, I guess its a little metal thing. that goes behind the stationary cheek. Looks like the guy I bought it from found it and is going to send it, so I think I will be straight. Paul, did you swap out that spring? I have heard some kids say its more for kitted bikes, so I might just leave it bee for now. Also, any oppinion on what belt I should run? I guess a generic rototiller belt, 4L410 or something, is the right dimensions, but I was thingking I might just go ahead and buy the malossi belt, so long as it isn't uber expensive. I case you can't tell, I am a cheap ass. Thanks.

yah thats the spacer I'm talking about. you need that, it's different than stock. The stiffer rear spring keeps an engine, that is making more power than stock, from up shifting too quickly. With a stocker, it'll just keep you in low gear. I don't know the belt dimensions off the top of my head but I have a feeling James is come through on this one.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account