Gianelli Sachs mounting

Sachs engines move a lot, for not being variated. Here is how I welded up and mounted my gianelli pipe on my 504 1C westlake.

I welded a washer on the front bend, and a brace to close up the snail part.

I put a spring on the front washer and drilled a hole in the fin on the jug. I used a brake return spring to snug it up.

I welded up a bracket that attaches the brace to the engine case.

The pipe fits really tight against the engine case- it actually rings against the transmission. I tried a piece of foam to silence it, but will have to use rubber-like a chunk of radiator hose.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/mopedmike/filterngianelli.jpg

You can also see my super-cheap but not quite free air filter, and the custom square hose clamp holding it on.

Re: Gianelli Sachs mounting

Good setup mike, have you noticed much side-to-side movement of the engine at high rpm? If so, use rubber spacers in between he engine mounts, they're not always flush to the frame.

How does the pipe run with that goober of a carb?

Pretty good. Pulls hard to 27 and up hills, but only gets to 30 right now. It's still in the fiddling stage.

Best was 35 with a 104 square bing that self destructed and took out a piston - the emulsion tube came out and was sucked into the intake.

Please explain to me how your engine is moving?

The torque required to move my large ass makes the engine pull harder on the chain, causing the front of the engine to move to the left on take off.

Harder motor mounts, reinforcement of the frame would probably take care of it.

Well my bike doesn't seem to be doing that at all.

It's totally wear on my bike- I've had the same frame thru 3 engines- 11 years. I've weighed over 200# since before I got it.

now I understand. My sachs didn't even have 1000 miles on it yet.

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

that looks like a easy mount. most of em i seen have the 4 point mount to the bottom of the engine.

where did you get that pipe?

Nice work! I'm surprised that the bolt that tightens your header to the flange didn't snap off. Mine broke immediately and wasn't even close tight enough. I like the spring and the bottom motor bracket you made. I love the mid range on those pipes.

One side did snap off- I'm using a stock clamp to hold it on the jug. 45 tooth rear sprocket helped a little with the low end- a 50 was way too big but it took off like crazy. I'd swap the 2.5x17's for something smaller but I'm vain, and already hammered, ground and welded the swingarm to clear them.

As for where to find the pipe- It took me 3 years to get it on ebay.

maggie bandits running a 14.12 with that pipe and getting 34. bored out to a 14.14 it would prolly do faster. if you went sha it would be a cheap 3-4 mph.

really nice work with the bracket, dude.

3 years? fo rillz? got any alt advice?

mbartell

A 15mm carb like Amal 15 would work well with that pipe provided you set the needlepin to the appropriate notch. The Amal is a very hard-to-tune carb but once the carb, piston rpm, and the gianelli's midrange design synchronize the power is amazing. The way you have your carb setup is for higher powerband pipes because of the distance b/w the airbox and the widest part of the expansion pipe. Try a different carb or chop the airbox in half.

Btw, you're not going to see much faster than 34mph if you don't use taller gearing.

_The way you have your carb setup is for higher powerband pipes because of the distance b/w the airbox and the widest part of the expansion pipe. Try a different carb or chop the airbox in half._

-what the fuck are you talking about?

sweet. i did the same thing to my gianelli. you should be getting way more than thirty out of that engine. mine is the 505 1a and it gets 34 gps'd, isn't the 504 supposed to be a beefier engine? once i put the del on it i had to run it without the airbox.

yo i just took my stock exhaust off for the first time. im noticing that the connection to the engine is a little loose. is it suppose to be? my header was full of carbon..... i put some change in it and rattled the shit out of it.... there was so much fn carbon.... i got an expansion chamber from treats. cheap and it fit like a glove. its not on real proper yet. where to cop the springs? auto parts store or hardware store??? but with a homemade mod air filter,stock bing clean as fuck, new trans fluid, semi cleaned tank, the new pipe... im hittin 35 flats, 40 downhill... this is with the ungodly huge sprocket... 60 teeth or somethin. got the 40 tooth but i havnt taken the time to swap it out, with all the bolt breaking and dew hole drilling..... im kinda worried. but i know byt mathematics alone my gear ratio will be way better....

markryan- 504's a simpler engine than the 505- no pedal shaft drag, and the flywheel is smaller. Strength wise they are the same - you can actually bolt a 504 and 505 case together like half and half, but you wouldn't have a sealed up transmission. They are that much alike.

Nerdy (wade?) - the connection pipe on the bottom of sachs heads always work loose- they come from the factory tight, but they wear out pretty quick. Use springs from anything you can find, if you want to go that route.

Jafar- I'm going to try a knock off Dellorto 15 when I get time, and jets. I still need to press apart my busted up D crank and try that again.

Lessons I learned- 1-Cut up lock washer will work as a woodruff key but is too strong and will mess up the shaft if anything goes wrong.

2- When you press apart a crank, index everything and double check it - I never got the timing right.

are you gonna get that sha cloner off treats? youll have to let me know how it works for you. its the one im looking @ myself. i havent been able to get my idle right ever since mine got stole and broke up pretty good. when it came back from the shop, the idle just quit. im getting quite good at gettin the throttle just right, but can be a pain in the ass @ intersections.... i feel like ive tried the idle screw @ every possible minute turn.... withe square bing i just dont know if i wnt to put the effort into jetting... but im sure in the long run itlll be worth it...

my custom filter move was a good one i thought... i cut off the old paper filter and left just the rubber ring like a gasket almost, took some of the ladys old tights, i ended up using a few layers, and some breather materal i swiped @ the auto pars store, filter foam in the center, hosiery on the exterior, pulled it taught andtied it off. had to bend the wire clip a lil.... but its workin like a fuckin charm. cleanable and replaceable...

Great fab job on that pipe man.

I love seeing people still fighting with the 12mm square bing. I am.

I'm going to use this idea!

haha, this is like a decade old! wow

I still use the spring mount on every sachs pipe always. Last gianelli i put on a g3 I did a bracket I think it went back and bolted to the swingarm pivot bolt?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I was gonna say a Sachs is like a mule or a donkey hybrid and sterile. Fun to watch em go at it but nothing will come of it....

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account