Cracking Moby Variator on a budget...

Anyone have clever ways of removing the nut from the back plate without an expensive, large table vise (via the wiki) or expensive chain wrench as explained here ?

OR... anyone know where I can pick up a used table vise in SF for ~$20

thanks... I really need to get this tuned.

Re: Cracking Moby Variator on a budget...

yeah. i got a giant 4" pipe wrench for $20. worked great. better than a vise alone would have (you still need to get enough torque to turn it).

Mr. Richard Dickrich /

Go to a shop with a big vice. I'm sure you can work something out for 5 minutes of their time/equipment.

I already have a large crescent wrench to twist it off, I just need to grip it.

hmm. have your tried simulating the jig by drilling three screws into your workbench? that worked for me.

bolts in the table for the win.

or......... you could drive to nebraska and use my vise if you want?? I guess that may cost more than $20. ha

Andy

While that chain wrench is a bit pricy, it also comes in handy for all kinds of other stuff. I understand budgets, believe me, but this is one of those tools that does the job with ease when nothing else will work. Great for grabbing oddly shaped things very tightly

Can probably get a cheapo version at Harbor Freight or even a good one for cheap on ebay?

large oil filter wrench?

get some bolts and make a jig out of some wood or a shop table.

u also might need mapp gas

be careful what you grab and how.

It is easy to bend things...

Needs mapp gas.

Cole hardware had a huge vise, but it wouldn't budge. Mapp gas = $35.

think i'll throw a couple bucks 1977 way. By the time i need to do this again it''ll be b/c i have the dough to buy a malossi multivar and ninja.... so the mapp gas won't be but a slight tuning-tax.

is an oil wrench big enough to go around this thing? Wrap rubber around it and use the oil wrench maybe?

usually it's really quick but oooh man, lemme tell you. For some reason, getting that inside clip out to remove tha variator took FOREVER tonight. Guess it's just not my day. I also have to JB welt the exhaust mount on my 103 engine case... it rattled clean off!

Andy -

What Steve and Elliot said. Two bolts in any solid work bench will lock onto the 'front side'.

Then....what Jay said....get a massive pipe wrench. They're like....25 bucks, TOPS!

We cracked 3 variators in under 2 minutes with the setup.

CAKE!

My current work bench is not drillable. Once my room mate gets most of her stuff out of the garage it'll come together. Until then I gotta find something else to drill into, otherwise it's gotta be 1977 (again).

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account