Tiny Tach and RPM questions

alright so i want one of them tiny tachs biggest downside i can see from reading the specs is that the refresh rate is 2.5s. Has anyone used one, and is that a satisfactory refresh rate? i use a digital speedo which isnt super fast on the refresh and it seems fine, but i dunno exactly what its rate is so i cant quite compare.

secondly, after reading the list of models they have, i assume i want the first one (1 cylinder 2 stroke). correct?

and finally, this is a bit different of a question. i want this thing so i can get exact rpm figures to use for, eventually, calculating dimensions for an expansion pipe. my first guinea pig bike is my friend's puch. he has a biturbo. this seems obvious, but i assume i should take rpm readings with the properly tuned stock pipe as opposed to the properly tuned biturbo, yes? thanks,

-Steve

Re: Tiny Tach and RPM questions

yea its a cool like ttach. refresh rate is just whatever no big deal.

It is ok for getting some calculations for making a pipe. I have personally found that is is better just to listen to the bike and feel it then cut and reweld accordingly.

The 9,990 rpm max would be a serious downside.

seriously i have no ballpark estimate what kind of revs im looking at, stock or tuned. whats the estimated rpm range for a stock puch/moby?

my moby is the bike this will be on the most, its 16mm carb, ported, case matched, stock 50cc jug, g3, varplus. should i be breaking 10k rpm?

then again it would be an excuse to save up for the commercial model, which goes up to 20k RPMS and refreshes every .5 seconds.

nah they must make ttachs that go higher than that cause they sell them for sleds 9900 rpm aint shit for any modern engine 2 or 4 stroke

yea, the commerical model.

but is 10K high enough for a ped?

the "commercial" version has a 2 times/second refresh rate and a limit of 19,999.

ask me how i know!

reading the website?

thats not quite as good as the commercial model tiny tach, but more expensive. nice lookin though.

no steve, i've had one on my moby for 3 years.

leenewport on heatherette! on leedog /

i bought a tiny tach many years ago. i went for the cheap version. the day i went over 10K rpms, the thing never worked the same.

Buy the commercial version, it is way sicker!!!!!!

Has anyone been able to make one of the comercial ones work? I was told that they wont work with points ignition because of the magnetic noise. I bought one and sure enough it tweeks out at about 8000 rpm no matter what I do. The people at tiny tach basically told me I am out of luck.

CDIs have magnetos with magnets too. no problems here. tried it on both and both worked fine.

did you install it correctly and put it on the right setting?

looks like im saving up for the commercial one. .5 second refresh rate is much nicer anyways.

yea, its on right and set right I did it over the phone with the guys at tiny tach because I was having problems. they said there is too much interference for it to work. Best part they wont refund my money and have no more ideas.

are you running a plug cap with a resistor in it? that could help. or maybe thats not where the interference is coming from?

what are you riding? if your ht coil is real close to your magneto (if thats what youre saying is causing it), perhaps you can relocate the ht coil so that the pickups are farther away. whatever is causing it, find out and move your ht coil far from it.

in theory you should be able to wire your ht coil up on your rear rack, under your fender, in your gas tank, where ever you want as long as its grounded and wired properly. itd just be kinda goofy having all that extra plug wire. but hey, if it works it works, and it seems like it could be worth a shot.

not sure how much resistance the extra length of wire would add, but i wouldnt expect it to be a lot and youre only talking 3-4 feet of plug wire tops. dont think itd have an affect on spark.

Steve, its on a puch maxi with a metra 80. I have a new ngk plug boot, and new wire and new external condenser. Oh well I'll just keep messing with it until I get it to work. Funny you mention the coil under the seat because thats were I had it mounted a while ago. That didnt help.

well itd be interesting to see if getting it _very_ far away made any difference. if it doesnt, then you can tell the dudes at tiny tach to stick it up their ass(es).

haha thatd be a fun experiment. ground your HT coil to your bike like 30 feet away and run a spark plug wire to your engine. use coaxial cable as spark plug wire to do it on the cheap, that is if you have spare coaxial cable laying around like me.

then again ive never used coax as spark plug wire, but its seemed like a good idea... or at least an idea ive wanted to try.

PLUS coax is designed to shield radio interference. thats what the outer sheath of aluminum braided wire is for.

still maybe not a good idea. haha.

That was kind of an idea I had not to use coax but to shield the cable with a grounded sleve.

i had one.. still do actually. before i knew my bike did well over 10 k rpms.. now im shit out of luck .. but at least i knew then i was going well over 55 with the gearing i had.

i put it on my buddys 70cc moby. and he never got near 9999 limit. so you should be good with the tiny tach on your set up

Get the Commercial version--refresh every .5 secs

commercial version! It's on my list of parts to get this season.

well todd, maybe the coax is worth a shot then. it has the inner copper core which is similar if not the same diameter of the copper core in plug wire. you can ground the aluminum shielding and voila, all the work is done for you.

im really just trying to convince you to be my guinea pig.

i'm running coax on my ratbike as a temporary solution. no problems so far.

I'll give it a try as soon as I have a chance and see if it works.

well there you go. im gonna start using it now then!

GTO wire for neon signs, great replacement

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account