case matching A3?

I was upgrading my A3 with the kstar kit. I was planning on case matching it but theirs not enough case to match, and have a good seal. Has anybody done this?

Would welding extra metal on the case work?

Re: case matching A3?

ez da snow man !! /

pics in a min~!~~

ez da snow man !! /

pic^^

so this is what i've done so far to get it re-ready for my K-star.

i had it on befor but no case matching or JB weld to help the seal..

i built up JB around the sides of the transfers so there was just that little extra surface to keep the seal tight.. now i'm going to clean up the case matching...

1233328758_a3_prep.jpg

Looks good, but I'm not too sure about using jbweld. (it's let me down in the past). I just got a mig welder. I was thinking about running some beads around the transfers to help the seal. Would this work?

ez da snow man !! /

if you can get it to stick.... its alu. and your trying put to steel on it. i i have a wire feed welder, Lincoln electric, tryed but it didnt work...

ez da snow man !! /

also the JB holds up to a little over 500*

Mine is wire fed too. I was at home depot and I saw aluminium wire for mig welders. In theory this should work right?

ez da snow man !! /

well i'm trying welding again... take off all PAINT and its working i have it set on like 4 low low, slow but working

It's working with the steel wire to aluminium case ? Or are you using aluminium wire now?

ez da snow man !! /

back from the depot got some alu wire.. pics to come....

Sweet! I hope of works! Pictures please!

ez da snow man !! /

ok well got the alu wire tried but that shit just wouldnt stick!!!! sooo i put the regular wire back on and presto!!!! pic in a min...

ez da snow man !! /

pic^^^

1233342522_weld_24.jpg

So the steel wire sticks but the aluminum doesn't work? Do you think this will be better then the jbweld?

ez da snow man !! /

i hope so...

LOL! This is too funny! steel wire and aluminum cases!

are either of you using gas?

My mig welder doesn't use gas

But I haven't tried it yet. I'm still at work.

then it isn't a MIG. Metal Inert Gas. And what the other guy is doing is just letting puddles of steel colect in the puddles of meltted alum, Not gonna last very long. Sheilding gas is very important when welding aluminum..

ez da snow man !! /

one more^^

1233345517_weld_69.jpg

Then it's a compact mig? When I bought it it said mig on the box. So the steel wire will eventully break off from the aluminium?

ez da snow man !! /

it looks like to me that gas is need for alu? when i was doing it with the alu, it would just make tiny balls and not stick to anything...

think of it this way. welding is the selective "casting" of additional metal. Steel is not aluminum and vise versa. Different alloys of steel, stainless steel and cast iron can be welded together. Aluminum of varying alloys can be welded to gether, but not one of each. It is a simple situation of "dissimilar metals"

prolly cuz you didn't clean it well enough

ez da snow man !! /

i it was cleaned to the max ground down to bare metal(alu) w/e, not the regular weld worked great but the alu wire just made little beads and fell right off...

Dude. ez, you obviously cannot be helped... I feel like...

fuckit, go ahead on welding dissimilar metals, its all you.

ez da snow man !! /

i like your input crackstar, i'm just curious why the regual flux core wire worked and not the alu wire...

ez da snow man !! /

and i have a gasless welder, thats my problem isint it....

todd , i know we talked a little about this today, but i just read the thread. if you want this done , when it is time , we will go in my class and see if josh can get get it hooked up .

crackstar is correct about using gas being the best , i did some alu practice stuff with it, its crazy , super fast and tons of smoke, the alu wire on the lincoln might work , maybe just needs to turned up higher, possible propane torch to heat the metal a bit and that shit may work better.. what ever remind me this week and we will talk.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account